Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2012, 05:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
mikehallbackhoe

honda crx - '84 honda crx 1300
90 day: 55.83 mpg (US)
ignition switch vs cut off switch

I do a lot of eoc, and I usually just turn off the key in my crx. I now realize that allows the choke to cool down and come back on, so now I am going to turn the key off, and then turn it back on, but not start it. my question is , will this put too much wear on my ignition switch, or will it be all right ?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-03-2012, 05:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

This is how you should have been doing it all along. That said, when did you last wear out an ignition switch? Me neither.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
mikehallbackhoe

honda crx - '84 honda crx 1300
90 day: 55.83 mpg (US)
thanks, I am hoping to see an improvement in mpg doing it this way. I might take a hit because I lowered my tire pressure from 60 to 50, but I didn't like the way it handled in the turns at the higher pressure. I might also replace the electric choke with a manuel choke just so I don't have to keep turning the key back on.
in my experience with ignition switches, what usually fails is the starting circuit, from too much cranking. I bump start mine when eoc. I have, however seen more than my share of napa electrical switches fail.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
OCD Master EcoModder

Outasight - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 54.18 mpg (US)
I've seen a couple Civics (both gen 6, 1996-2000) with tempermental ignition switches. The electrical part is/was fine, but mine is sometimes difficult to turn. You have to angle the key just right. I test drove another Civic, same problem except that one was worse.

So I'd recommend a cutoff switch if you can figure out where and how to wire it up. Save the wear and tear on the ignition lock mechanism. My cutoff switch is a toggle type, a quick swipe of a finger is all it needs. Easier than turning the key, and will never lock the steering wheel if you mess up.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:35 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Big Orange Work Truck - '83 Ford F-250
90 day: 27.54 mpg (US)

Jessica's - '04 Toyota Matrix
90 day: 41.21 mpg (US)

Ninjette - '01 Kawasaki Ninja EX250R
I have had to replace several ignition switches, and that was before I learned about hypermiling.

Plus, then there is no risk of locking the steering wheel.

And even without those two, having a cut off and starter mounted to the gear shift makes it SO MUCH EASIER to P&G that I'd recommend it regardless of the first two points. In fact, of all the mods I've made, the switches are probably my favorite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
A few months ago I returned home just as my neighbor pulled into his driveway. It was cold (around freezing) with some rain and sleet, and he yells to me: You rode your bike? In this weather?!?

So the other day we both returned home at the same time again, only now the weather is warm, sunny, with no wind. And I yell to him: You took the car? In this weather?!?
Old 05-04-2012, 11:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

The 'Vic - '96 Honda Civic DX
Team Honda
90 day: 39.3 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucepick View Post
I've seen a couple Civics (both gen 6, 1996-2000) with tempermental ignition switches. The electrical part is/was fine, but mine is sometimes difficult to turn. You have to angle the key just right. I test drove another Civic, same problem except that one was worse.

So I'd recommend a cutoff switch if you can figure out where and how to wire it up. Save the wear and tear on the ignition lock mechanism. My cutoff switch is a toggle type, a quick swipe of a finger is all it needs. Easier than turning the key, and will never lock the steering wheel if you mess up.
My ignition switch was hard to turn when I bought the car. It ended up being a worn key that wouldnt fully move the pins. I switched to a backup key and it works fine.

Glad to know that keying it for EOC probably won't wear out the switch. I was wondering about that. It would be a PITA to fix a broken one properly.

Civic Build Thread
Your grammar is appreciated.

3.788 Civic CX final drive, air dam, 1st gen HCH 14" wheels and Michelin Defender 175/65R14 LRR tires
Reply  Post New Thread