Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2015, 04:55 AM   #81 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Just stumbled across this video where they install projectors into an original housing, i.e. the reflector is not used any more (they even paint it):
Not sure if there are any LED sets that would fit the same way and it's a lot of effort, not to mention the WAF...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marcexec For This Useful Post:
Daox (06-20-2015), freebeard (06-20-2015)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-20-2015, 11:48 AM   #82 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
Quote:
marcexec
EcoModding Lurker
Hey, have Thanks.
Old 06-20-2015, 12:30 PM   #83 (permalink)

Pope Pious the Prius - '13 Toyota Prius Two
Team Toyota
SUV
90 day: 51.62 mpg (US)

Tycho the Truck - '91 Toyota Pickup DLX 4WD
90 day: 22.22 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,802 Times in 939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcexec View Post
Just stumbled across this video where they install projectors into an original housing, i.e. the reflector is not used any more (they even paint it):
Not sure if there are any LED sets that would fit the same way and it's a lot of effort, not to mention the WAF...
I did this when I retrofitted HIDs in my previous car. The results were much better than what you get dumping an HID bulb in a reflector it wasn't designed for.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vman455 For This Useful Post:
Daox (06-20-2015)
Old 06-20-2015, 01:24 PM   #84 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,586 Times in 1,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcexec View Post

I really like that idea. If the beam pattern isn't good on my bike perhaps I'll give that a try if I can find some H4 LED projectors.
Old 06-22-2015, 01:25 AM   #85 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

spyder2 - '00 Toyota MR2 Spyder
Quote:
Originally Posted by deejaaa View Post
looks good to me also. there are other 'colors' to choose from and focal point is where I would want it.
did you mount the other yet?
can you get some distance shots?
Yea I'll post a picture sometime. Too lazy to go move the car and take a picture right now. Now that I've driven with it a little, I think the focal point is a tad low, I'm going to turn the adjustment screws to point the beam a little higher. Right now the road itself is lit up very well but it's hard to see in the distance and to the sides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
serialk11r -- Now that's a nice cut-off. What is the depth of the housing/reflector compared to the H-4?
No idea, it's a standard H11 housing that used to have a standard OEM H11 bulb. I think the light output is a little lacking compared to some earlier posters' H4s because projectors basically waste half the light output with the cutoff plate, if I remember correctly. Halogens do better since the filament is small and doesn't block as much light reflected off the plate. Definitely do not buy the "40W" kits for this application unless it's for foglights or DRLs.
Old 06-22-2015, 03:21 PM   #86 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
Maybe I'll go to an auto parts store with a tape measure.

There's lots of interesting reading at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headlamp. It turns out 'headlight' is the output and 'headlamp' is the tool.
Old 07-23-2015, 05:38 PM   #87 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Peaty - '03 Honda Insight

Jimmy - '07 GMC Canyon 2wd, Extended Cab, SL
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
Yea I'll post a picture sometime. Too lazy to go move the car and take a picture right now. Now that I've driven with it a little, I think the focal point is a tad low, I'm going to turn the adjustment screws to point the beam a little higher. Right now the road itself is lit up very well but it's hard to see in the distance and to the sides.

No idea, it's a standard H11 housing that used to have a standard OEM H11 bulb. I think the light output is a little lacking compared to some earlier posters' H4s because projectors basically waste half the light output with the cutoff plate, if I remember correctly. Halogens do better since the filament is small and doesn't block as much light reflected off the plate. Definitely do not buy the "40W" kits for this application unless it's for foglights or DRLs.
I like the pics you posted of the light output for the bulbs you purchased. This is a fixed High, or Low Beam bulb correct? You mentioned you are using them with a projector, but you wouldn't recommend them without the projector in a reflector housing? Thanks for your feedback and input.
Old 07-24-2015, 03:39 AM   #88 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

spyder2 - '00 Toyota MR2 Spyder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longsnowsm View Post
I like the pics you posted of the light output for the bulbs you purchased. This is a fixed High, or Low Beam bulb correct? You mentioned you are using them with a projector, but you wouldn't recommend them without the projector in a reflector housing? Thanks for your feedback and input.
It's low beam only. The stock lamps are projector housing, all I had to do was screw the new bulb in. With a reflector housing you would obviously use a bulb made for that configuration, but those have worse cutoffs since the LED is much fatter and emits light in a different pattern than a filament. The projector seems to do okay because it has a physical block off plate, but this wastes light output.

Reply  Post New Thread