Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2011, 11:45 AM   #141 (permalink)
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykomor View Post
You could try to lower average speed as much as possible -- if you have the patience.
I try and keep speeds under 60 mph where I can, motorways I can do this if I find a friendly truck to follow - they are limited to 56 here. If I don't find one then because of motorways only having 2 lanes in Scotland people can't seem to work out there's something going slower than 70, and I end up with them rushing up behind at 80+...

Did a trip to the cinema this PM (the Tin Tin movie is recommended ) and got 73.7 average. I'm at 400 miles with 2 bars (probably 1.5 really) left on the gauge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykomor View Post
Videos? Where?
My phone mount hasn't arrived yet, will do videos when it comes hopefully on Monday - I'll start with a typical commute and maybe get some tips. Clocks go back here tonight (summer time to GMT) so trips home will be in the dark from Monday.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-30-2011, 03:02 AM   #142 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Igor - '07 Toyota Aygo
90 day: 63.4 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arragonis View Post
I try and keep speeds under 60 mph where I can, motorways I can do this if I find a friendly truck to follow - they are limited to 56 here. If I don't find one then because of motorways only having 2 lanes in Scotland people can't seem to work out there's something going slower than 70, and I end up with them rushing up behind at 80+...

Did a trip to the cinema this PM (the Tin Tin movie is recommended ) and got 73.7 average. I'm at 400 miles with 2 bars (probably 1.5 really) left on the gauge.

My phone mount hasn't arrived yet, will do videos when it comes hopefully on Monday - I'll start with a typical commute and maybe get some tips. Clocks go back here tonight (summer time to GMT) so trips home will be in the dark from Monday.
On motorway in speeds above 110km/h (68mph) Igor cant do better than 5,5 l/100km (43mpg). He had one tank with almost 7 l/100km (34mpg). This was before his new hypermiling life but I doubt that it would be much better after the minor mods I have done.
Old 10-30-2011, 04:36 AM   #143 (permalink)
The PRC.

Yep - speed kills FE in these cars. Not sure higher gearing will help - its how long you have to press to get speed back up with does the damage.
Old 10-30-2011, 05:53 AM   #144 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Igor - '07 Toyota Aygo
90 day: 63.4 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arragonis View Post
Yep - speed kills FE in these cars. Not sure higher gearing will help - its how long you have to press to get speed back up with does the damage.
I will make a four week test with two 185/60-15 in front (8%bigger) and see how that goes. If I'm lucky there will be significant difference, otherwise it's back to square one. The greater width might work against the bigger diameter.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:04 AM   #145 (permalink)
The PRC.

I'm going to try and do a speed vs FE test on a flat section of the bypass I go through each morning. It will be tricky due to traffic but I may be able to map at intervals between say 40 and 60.
Old 10-31-2011, 03:59 AM   #146 (permalink)
The PRC.

And found two substantial stone chips on George yesterday which I'm going to have to get painted asap - its turning cold here so the councils are getting their rocksalt stocks ready.

That tapped I'm not planning on snow tyres, we'll see how we go and I can work from home a lot like I did last year
Old 11-07-2011, 04:54 AM   #147 (permalink)
The PRC.

I have a couple of videos - would be more but some seem to have been corrupted by transferring to my new hard disk - will try and rescue them later.

This tank is looking a little better than the last one maybe.

Started to look into attachment methods for a kamm. I'd rather avoid tape for various reasons - not confident of the paint quality for one. James May (he of Top Gear fame) has another TV series called "Man Lab" where he does boys stuff, like explaining how to make paper from a felled tree and how to escape from a Prison.

Anyhoo he demonstrated a neat "holder" of things made up of a sheet of wood with strong magnets attached to it. Basically anything ferrous up to several KGs could be held on it.

Hmmm I though, magnets. So I bought a few 10mm Neodymium magnets to experiment. My though is to use them to attach something to the (glass) tailgate or to the metal body which surrounds it. I experimented with a sheet of correx (corroplast) and a magnet each side of the glass - too loose, it would come off easily. I then experimented with the sheet against the bodywork - same result. I'm going to try a thinner sheet of tape in the same positions - and then the correx could be attached to that but I may need stronger magnets to make this work.

If it does work, then I may have found a potential use for magnets to improve FE that doesn't involve voodoo science
Old 11-10-2011, 01:56 AM   #148 (permalink)
The PRC.

Video of one side of my daily grind - silent so you don't have to listen to my music

Old 11-11-2011, 12:26 AM   #149 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I enjoyed sharing in your commute! I'm glad you have found as many quiet roads to utilize as you have.

The damp pavement certainly reminds me of here!

Did you mount your camera on the pass. seat headrest?

It looked to me that overall, I could give an A- for the wonderful quality of your roads.

In the winter; does it get much below freezing?

I really have to assume that you don't regularly see any 70's, or 80's cars hardly at all! The only semblance I saw of ANYTHING older was the Volvo wagon at the 16 minute mark.

Is everybody that affluent there. I didn't even see any dented fenders, let alone; an old beater? ! Wow!

The IKEA store looked familiar though!

Thanks again for sharing!
Old 11-11-2011, 03:51 PM   #150 (permalink)
The PRC.

[QUOTE=larrybuck;269783]I enjoyed sharing in your commute! .../QUOTE]

Glad you enjoyed it, I have one the other way to upload. To answer your questions :

My phone is a Samsung Galaxy S2, I have one of these to mount it on. It seems to be able to record many hours of car video and it is miles better than my old Blackberry which was totally useless

The side roads at the start of the journey are quite old, they link the Cammo estate and the airport and I can avoid sitting in crawling traffic - and its more fun At the end I can sit in stopped traffic with the engine off.

The bypass is the highway, which is carp.

And yeah, Ikea is there. If I go round the other side of the Ikea store (Mrs A works at the same place and does) then you get stuck behind people trying to U-turn into their car-park.

As for old cars, they were thinned out a few years ago by the scrappage scheme which offered £2k new car bonus for anyone who traded in an older car against a new one. So we have lots of new Hyundais and many of our older classics are gone.

View topic - 1951 Triumph Mayflower scrappage