Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now
 

Closed Thread  Post New Thread
 
Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2014, 01:58 PM   #1301 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: nowhere
Posts: 533
Thanks: 31
Thanked 86 Times in 69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
How is being wrong on anthropogenic climate change irrelevant? It is a exactly what we are talking about - and Christopher Monckton is wrong on climate change.

Other than Richard Lindzen and Willie Soon - what other scientist(s) reject anthropogenic climate change? Surely you can come up with some? Who wrote that one paper mentioned in the SA article?
Either you didn't read my reply in post #1285, or you chose to ignore it. It's easy and convenient to pick and choose your targets, and easy to knock down chosen straw men, isn't it?

Here is the link again for your convenience:

Why Most Published Research Findings are False Roy Spencer, PhD

I suggest that you (and anyone else who is interested) read Dr. Spencer's entire site. He is a real climate scientist, not a pretender.

 
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

   
Old 01-16-2014, 04:56 PM   #1302 (permalink)
The PRC.
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Elsewhere.
Posts: 5,304
Thanks: 285
Thanked 535 Times in 384 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
Christopher Monckton was the darling of the climate denier crowd...
Is that it ?
__________________
[I]So long and thanks for all the fish.[/I]
 
Old 01-16-2014, 07:00 PM   #1303 (permalink)
The PRC.
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Elsewhere.
Posts: 5,304
Thanks: 285
Thanked 535 Times in 384 Posts
I assume as there is no answer then that was indeed "it".

Wow. Hmmm. Yeah. Well. Ummm. what ?

I though it would at least be a video of Monckton drop-kicking seal pups into a pool of crude oil, maybe even burning crude oil, being topped up by the head of BP from drums stored on the back of his Hummer. All would be cackling and rubbng their hands together like most evil bosses whilst Exxon, Chevron, BP and Shell would all get in line to add ads to the video feed.

Anything less was a let down.
__________________
[I]So long and thanks for all the fish.[/I]
 
Old 01-16-2014, 07:39 PM   #1304 (permalink)
Reverse-Trike EV
 
Giovanni LiCalsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Alameda, California
Posts: 146
Thanks: 2
Thanked 43 Times in 32 Posts
Spencer believes in intelligent design.
Most people from Alabama have that mindset.
__________________
Kind Regards,
Giovanni
http://www.steamcar.net/stanley/fastest.pdf
 
Old 01-16-2014, 08:04 PM   #1305 (permalink)
The PRC.
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Elsewhere.
Posts: 5,304
Thanks: 285
Thanked 535 Times in 384 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giovanni LiCalsi View Post
Spencer believes in intelligent design.
Most people from Alabama have that mindset.
By the same measure you must also believe all vegetarians to be brave ex-soldiers, rabid anti-semites, insecure in female company, repressed, sexually frustrated with a liking for small moustaches, world domination, Wagner and military uniforms.

Do you take a moment before posting ? Maybe you should.

Yes I did invoke Godwins law but as I also point it out it doesn't apply. Ta.
__________________
[I]So long and thanks for all the fish.[/I]

Last edited by Arragonis; 01-16-2014 at 08:05 PM.. Reason: spelling
 
Old 01-16-2014, 08:54 PM   #1306 (permalink)
MPGuino Supporter
 
t vago's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Cedar Rapids, IA
Posts: 1,766

The Karen-Mobile - '05 Dodge Magnum SXT
Team Dodge
90 day: 26.72 mpg (US)

Fiat Dakota - '00 Dodge Dakota SLT RWD Quad Cab
90 day: 16.67 mpg (US)

The Red Sled - '01 Dodge Durango SLT 4WD
90 day: 16.96 mpg (US)
Thanks: 799
Thanked 681 Times in 437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arragonis View Post
I though it would at least be a video of Monckton drop-kicking seal pups into a pool of crude oil, maybe even burning crude oil, being topped up by the head of BP from drums stored on the back of his Hummer. All would be cackling and rubbng their hands together like most evil bosses whilst Exxon, Chevron, BP and Shell would all get in line to add ads to the video feed.
Ask, and ye shall receive!
__________________
The Fiat Dakota


The Karen-mobile


The Red Sled
 
Old 01-16-2014, 10:21 PM   #1307 (permalink)
EcoModding Newb
 
redpoint5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 5,780

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 28.39 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 79.06 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 28.88 mpg (US)
Thanks: 1,986
Thanked 2,053 Times in 1,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by P-hack View Post
The main problem is that there is so much noise, and it is very detrimental. Assume we are here for one reason (save gas), when others hijack the forum with heavy controversy (politics/religion/etc) then they steal that initiative, that unifying cause, for their own agenda. Actual projects here are pretty low, just a lot of bickering. You may agree with that agenda but plenty of smart/bright people do not, or at least do not think this is the place for it.

Believers will go on ad nauseum (perhaps some Patty Hearst syndrome after listening to Al Gore preach about thermal runaway), it is simple self siloing, not intellectual victory, and it is bringing down the site as a whole IMHO.
The off-topic politics/religion discussion has always been my favorite in forums, and every good forum has a place for these. Pursuing a sound philosophy is extremely important because it is the motivator behind all action. It gives purpose and perspective to any action.

While discussion often doesn't result in moving someone, it sometimes does. I've had several instances where I thought one thing, shared my ideas with others, and was shown to have an opinion that was incongruent with my philosophy or otherwise untrue. I have changed my position on topics such as capital punishment, drug law, prostitution, and even global warming. Other times the debate reinforces a position when no opponent can offer a valid counter argument.

Global warming is an especially difficult topic because there are so many areas of debate. Is GW real? Is it man-made? Is it bad? How bad? What can be done about it? What should we do about it? What should we force others to do about it? Considering war, poverty, famine, disease and the U.S. tax code , how important is this?

My current position is that MMGW is real, has an impossibly complex set of good and bad outcomes, and is probably not worth spending vast amounts of resources given the many other serious issues that directly harm people.

The one thing I never see being discussed is what are some of the good outcomes of global warming, and how do they compare with the bad? Warming means that less energy has to be expended on heating. Warming means that the water cycle will increase in speed resulting in overall more rainfall. Warming means less freezing to death. Warming means longer growth cycles for plants. There are sure to be a lot more positive things about global warming, but none are being discussed.
__________________
Gas and Electric Vehicle Cost of Ownership Calculator







Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
 
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
user removed (01-16-2014)
Old 01-16-2014, 10:58 PM   #1308 (permalink)
Reverse-Trike EV
 
Giovanni LiCalsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Alameda, California
Posts: 146
Thanks: 2
Thanked 43 Times in 32 Posts
Warming of our planet has negative benefits that should alarm everyone!
Once the tundra melts, vast quantities of methane will fill the atmosphere and create such high temperatures that it will cause the polar caps to completely melt. This will raise the ocean levels to over 30 meters. This will displace over 25% of the world population and create a financial collapse and mass starvation.
__________________
Kind Regards,
Giovanni
http://www.steamcar.net/stanley/fastest.pdf
 
Old 01-16-2014, 11:28 PM   #1309 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: nowhere
Posts: 533
Thanks: 31
Thanked 86 Times in 69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giovanni LiCalsi View Post
Spencer believes in intelligent design.
Most people from Alabama have that mindset.
Interesting comment! That is a classic example of fallacious reasoning.

You comment tells us that you are eager to tar someone with a broad brush - especially those from a region other than your own.

This is an excellent example of real PREJUDICE: baseless ridicule and condemnation without cause, based upon logical fallacy. It's a very useful but desperate tactic, often used in politics when you have no logic or facts upon which to base your position.

Dr. Spencer revealed his own personal (if religious) belief, and perhaps he did so deliberately. That admission doesn't render his scientific viewpoint devoid of merit or consideration. Perhaps he did it to lure his critics (such as you) to discredit him based upon that admission alone. Einstein also revealed his personal beliefs about religion when discussing the nature of the universe. Does that make Einstein a rube or a fool? Did his personal and religious beliefs reduce or negate his contributions to science?

Maybe we should revert back to Neil's pretense that Donald Trump epitomizes the dissenting viewpoint, so we can lampoon him for his deficient hair. Then we can all blow the targeted straw man down, and claim that all who dissent with the consensus are nothing more than mere blowhards with bad haircuts.

Einstein had very unruly hair. Much worse than the Donald.

Have we any more fallacious, illogical conclusions to propose?
 
Old 01-16-2014, 11:33 PM   #1310 (permalink)
The road not so traveled
 
TheEnemy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 665

The Truck - '99 Nissan Frontier xe
90 day: 25.74 mpg (US)

The Ugly Duck - '84 Jeep CJ7 Rock crawler
Thanks: 18
Thanked 53 Times in 47 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Warming means that the water cycle will increase in speed resulting in overall more rainfall.
One of the things the water cycle does is take heat energy higher into the atmosphere helping to cool the planet, helping to stabilize the temperature.

 
Closed Thread  Post New Thread


Thread Tools




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com