Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2014, 11:39 PM   #1311 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giovanni LiCalsi View Post
Warming of our planet has negative benefits that should alarm everyone!
Once the tundra melts, vast quantities of methane will fill the atmosphere and create such high temperatures that it will cause the polar caps to completely melt. This will raise the ocean levels to over 30 meters. This will displace over 25% of the world population and create a financial collapse and mass starvation.
Methane alert! Don't strike any matches!

Alarm! Alarm! Aren't you feeling guilty yet?

(This is what we hear when unfounded predictions are touted as scientific fact.)

Come to think of it, methane may save the planet! We can harness it and heat our homes and run our cars with it. It's a natural gas - stinky but useful.

Forget co2. I'm waiting for the day when the government puts a meter on my butt to fine me for polluting the environment every time I fart...

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-16-2014, 11:39 PM   #1312 (permalink)
The road not so traveled

The Truck - '99 Nissan Frontier xe
90 day: 25.74 mpg (US)

The Ugly Duck - '84 Jeep CJ7 Rock crawler
Quote:
Spencer believes in intelligent design.
Most people from Alabama have that mindset.
So if one believes that god created the gene as a life form that can adapt and change to almost any environment across the universe does that still negate scientific credibility?

Edit: No I am not implying that that is Spencer's exact beliefs.

Old 01-16-2014, 11:47 PM   #1313 (permalink)
Reverse-Trike EV

... The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this. These subtilised interpretations are highly manifold according to their nature and have almost nothing to do with the original text. For me the Jewish religion like all other religions is an incarnation of the most childish superstitions. And the Jewish people to whom I gladly belong and with whose mentality I have a deep affinity have no different quality for me than all other people. As far as my experience goes, they are also no better than other human groups, although they are protected from the worst cancers by a lack of power. Otherwise I cannot see anything 'chosen' about them.
......Albert Einstein

Old 01-17-2014, 12:00 AM   #1314 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned

Quote:
... The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this. These subtilised interpretations are highly manifold according to their nature and have almost nothing to do with the original text. For me the Jewish religion like all other religions is an incarnation of the most childish superstitions. And the Jewish people to whom I gladly belong and with whose mentality I have a deep affinity have no different quality for me than all other people. As far as my experience goes, they are also no better than other human groups, although they are protected from the worst cancers by a lack of power. Otherwise I cannot see anything 'chosen' about them.
......Albert Einstein
Cherry picking, cherry picking, cherry picking....

A more complete summation of Einstein's views, from Wikipedia:
Quote:
Agnosticism, Deism and atheism

Einstein rejected the label atheist. Einstein stated: "I have repeatedly said that in my opinion the idea of a personal God is a childlike one. You may call me an agnostic, but I do not share the crusading spirit of the professional atheist whose fervor is mostly due to a painful act of liberation from the fetters of religious indoctrination received in youth. I prefer an attitude of humility corresponding to the weakness of our intellectual understanding of nature and of our own being."[1] According to Prince Hubertus, Einstein said, "In view of such harmony in the cosmos which I, with my limited human mind, am able to recognize, there are yet people who say there is no God. But what really makes me angry is that they quote me for the support of such views."[19]

Einstein had previously explored the belief that man could not understand the nature of God. In an interview published in 1930 in G. S. Viereck's book Glimpses of the Great, Einstein, in response to a question about whether or not he believed in God, explained:

Your question [about God] is the most difficult in the world. It is not a question I can answer simply with yes or no. I am not an Atheist. I do not know if I can define myself as a Pantheist. The problem involved is too vast for our limited minds. May I not reply with a parable? The human mind, no matter how highly trained, cannot grasp the universe. We are in the position of a little child, entering a huge library whose walls are covered to the ceiling with books in many different tongues. The child knows that someone must have written those books. It does not know who or how. It does not understand the languages in which they are written. The child notes a definite plan in the arrangement of the books, a mysterious order, which it does not comprehend, but only dimly suspects. That, it seems to me, is the attitude of the human mind, even the greatest and most cultured, toward God. We see a universe marvelously arranged, obeying certain laws, but we understand the laws only dimly. Our limited minds cannot grasp the mysterious force that sways the constellations. I am fascinated by Spinoza's Pantheism. I admire even more his contributions to modern thought. Spinoza is the greatest of modern philosophers, because he is the first philosopher who deals with the soul and the body as one, not as two separate things.[20]

In a 1950 letter to M. Berkowitz, Einstein stated that "My position concerning God is that of an agnostic. I am convinced that a vivid consciousness of the primary importance of moral principles for the betterment and ennoblement of life does not need the idea of a law-giver, especially a law-giver who works on the basis of reward and punishment."[21]

According to biographer Walter Isaacson, Einstein was more inclined to denigrate disbelievers than the faithful.[22] Einstein said in correspondence, "[T]he fanatical atheists...are like slaves who are still feeling the weight of their chains which they have thrown off after hard struggle. They are creatures who—in their grudge against the traditional 'opium of the people'—cannot bear the music of the spheres."[22][23] Although he did not believe in a personal God, he indicated that he would never seek to combat such belief because "such a belief seems to me preferable to the lack of any transcendental outlook."[24]

In 1945 Guy Raner, Jr. wrote a letter to Einstein, asking him if it was true that a Jesuit priest had caused Einstein to convert from atheism. Einstein replied, "I have never talked to a Jesuit priest in my life and I am astonished by the audacity to tell such lies about me. From the viewpoint of a Jesuit priest I am, of course, and have always been an atheist. ... It is always misleading to use anthropomorphical concepts in dealing with things outside the human sphere—childish analogies. We have to admire in humility and beautiful harmony of the structure of this world—as far as we can grasp it. And that is all."[25]
If the only Einstein quote you ever heard was "“God does not play dice with the universe” it would be incongruous to assume that those are the words of an atheist.

Care for some more cherries, anyone?

Last edited by XYZ; 01-17-2014 at 12:09 AM..

Old 01-17-2014, 01:55 AM   #1315 (permalink)
Reverse-Trike EV

Einstein and Spencer are worlds apart in their religious beliefs and science.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:21 AM   #1316 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
Is the rising ocean level cooperating with the conspiracy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=EN3jAK-6uI8

Video: Rising tide in Norfolk, Va. | Need to Know | PBS

http://video.pbs.org/video/2024047890/

As well as the pH of the ocean, and the melting Arctic ice, too - the volume is down ~80% since 1980.

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/

Old 01-17-2014, 08:52 AM   #1317 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

awesomer - '04 Toyota prius
So you are well aware of the rising ocean levels, and you live near the coast, and you want everyone else to do something? So far this looks like your problem to me. Usually when there are floods on a "biblical" scale we just blame God (or some other deity), so lets go with that.

I would say YOU have a conflict of interest when engaging in activism.

Last edited by P-hack; 01-17-2014 at 09:06 AM..

Old 01-17-2014, 09:26 AM   #1318 (permalink)
The road not so traveled

The Truck - '99 Nissan Frontier xe
90 day: 25.74 mpg (US)

The Ugly Duck - '84 Jeep CJ7 Rock crawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
Is the rising ocean level cooperating with the conspiracy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=EN3jAK-6uI8

Video: Rising tide in Norfolk, Va. | Need to Know | PBS

Video: Climate Change at the Doorstep | Watch Need To Know Online | PBS Video

As well as the pH of the ocean, and the melting Arctic ice, too - the volume is down ~80% since 1980.
The rising ocean due to land ice melt and thermal expansion is proof that global warming is happening, it is not proof that we are the cause.

increasing ocean acidity, (ocean water is actually not acidic but acts as a base Ph > 7). Is actually caused by us, but we discussed those things in detail probably 100 pages ago.

Old 01-17-2014, 09:54 AM   #1319 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 60.16 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,957 Times in 3,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEnemy View Post
but we discussed those things in detail probably 100 pages ago.
We've let this thread go on for 100 pages? Whoops!

Fixed!

Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget

The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:
Arragonis (01-17-2014)
Closed Thread  Post New Thread