Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2008, 11:19 AM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I'm new here but I think I'll jump in.

cool: "Can I buy a California Civic VX with a D15Z motor and put a Lean Burn ECU in it?"

Yes. I did precisely that, with the car I drive daily. But I don't live in CA.

I think it's been mentioned that you also need to swap the O2 sensor.

In a thread at GS (http://www.gassavers.org/showthread.php?t=4389) I provided very detailed instructions for how to do the wiring without cutting any of your stock wiring.

Unless you also swap the instrument pod, you'll still be missing the SIL (shift indicator light) that was provided only on the Federal model, but there's probably not much reason to care about that.

"What is the easiest way for me to go about this process as I live in California but want a Civic VX with lean burn? "

You might find that the easiest solution is to 'import' a Federal VX from outside CA. Finding a clean VX will be hard, and the first nice one you find might be elsewhere, anyway.

lost: "On GS, one member made the sensor/ECU swap on his VX and still easily passed his CA smog inspection."

I wonder if the comment you're thinking of is this:

http://www.gassavers.org/showpost.ph...5&postcount=43

That situation is a little different than what you described. Anyway, if you can find the thread you're talking about, that would interest me.

diesel: "What is the fifth wire on a wide band"

It might be interesting to notice that the so-called five-wire wideband sensor actually uses an 8-pin connector, and 7 of those pins are used. Two pins are attached to a calibration resistor that is housed in the connector itself. That's why you see only 5 wires traveling from the connector to the sensor.

You can find lots of info about wideband sensors if you google L1H1. The first link that comes up is especially helpful:

http://www.techedge.com.au/vehicle/wbo2/wbntk.htm

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-11-2008, 11:09 PM   #12 (permalink)
MP$

Send a message via MSN to diesel_john
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by monroe74 View Post
I'm new here but I think I'll jump in.

diesel: "What is the fifth wire on a wide band"

It might be interesting to notice that the so-called five-wire wideband sensor actually uses an 8-pin connector, and 7 of those pins are used. Two pins are attached to a calibration resistor that is housed in the connector itself. That's why you see only 5 wires traveling from the connector to the sensor.

You can find lots of info about wideband sensors if you google L1H1. The first link that comes up is especially helpful:

http://www.techedge.com.au/vehicle/wbo2/wbntk.htm
Thanks very informative looks like about $250 for the DIY wide band kit.

Ah, i see now wide band looks for hydro carbons on the rich side and oxygen on the lean side.

Last edited by diesel_john; 05-16-2008 at 01:13 AM..
Old 05-12-2008, 12:57 AM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

"looks like about $250 for the DIY wide band kit."

Sounds about right. The sensor itself is more than that, via the dealer or other typical channels, but they can be found in places like eBay for $150-200.

Then again, maybe the best way to buy a wideband sensor is with a VX already wrapped around it! I recently paid a lot for an L1H1, but it came with a free VX.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:44 AM   #14 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,959 Times in 3,603 Posts
Welcome to the forum, monroe.

Feel like posting a garage entry? http://forum.ecomodder.com/emgarage.php?do=add
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 05-12-2008, 11:12 AM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Pushrod - '02 Chevrolet Cavalier
I like AEM's Uego 6-in-1 sensor/gauge combo. I have one in my Cavalier and I'm putting another in my Porsche. You should be able to get them under $260.
Old 05-12-2008, 04:00 PM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

metro, thanks for the welcome, and the invitation. This place is great.

I will probably get my car into the garage at some point, but I think I want to wait until I develop more of a gaslog, and more consistency. Lately results are erratic, because I'm trying a bunch of different weird tweaks and tests, in the car and in my driving. I haven't had it very long.
Old 05-14-2008, 07:35 PM   #17 (permalink)
Banned

Beater Deluxe v2.0 - '89 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 44.68 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to Joseph Davis
Last count I had twelve P07 ECUs on hand. While they can be modified there has been no actual development on them, so they are effectively paperweights. I drop the OBD1 ECU plugs off of them and use them to make pass-through harnesses for various reasons.

Any of the OBD1 Civic/Integra ECUs, except the VX/P07, can be used with any of the common aftermarket enthusiast widebands to make a leanburn system.

JohnnyGrey, I understand you like your AEM UEGO and are excited about it. I understand you identify the AEM brand name with quality. I would advise you, however, not to recommend the AEM UEGO to anyone in the future; I have seen multiple AEM units that were as much as a point +/- out of calibration with 2-3 other widebands connected to the same vehicle. They aren't a good product. FYI, best bang for the buck is the NGK AFX followed by either Innovate (robust, programmable, a little finicky and requires free air recalibration on occaision) or PLX (dead nuts simple).

Also, I have had variable results out of the Techedge products in the past, and having to ship the wideband off to OZ to be warrantied is annoying. I currently have a 2A0, needs the SMT DAC replaced, and a 2C0, used once and then it died still looks brand new, if anyone wants to buy a DIY project...
Old 05-14-2008, 07:42 PM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Pushrod - '02 Chevrolet Cavalier
AEM claims accuracy of +/- 0.1 AFR, which is line with what you're saying. I consider it to be an acceptable degree of accuracy, especially since the ECU swings back and forth about 1.0AFR constantly.
Old 05-15-2008, 12:22 AM   #19 (permalink)
MP$

Send a message via MSN to diesel_john
Smile

i think he is saying + or - 1.0 out of spec.
Old 05-15-2008, 01:22 AM   #20 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

"they are effectively paperweights"

They show up on eBay every now and then, and pretty consistently go for about $80. I think the buyers are typically people who have a CA VX and want to make it Federal. That's exactly the situation I was in. Too bad I didn't know you were giving them away!

Reply  Post New Thread