Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2012, 06:58 AM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Kia Optima - '04 Kia Optima EXv6
90 day: 27.1 mpg (US)
De Tomaso Pantera

rear engine 351 v8

looks cool

The Following User Says Thank You to justing For This Useful Post:
larrybuck (06-14-2012)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-12-2012, 07:53 AM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Sweetie - '11 Hyundai Sonata GLS
90 day: 39.35 mpg (US)

My Miles - '03 Combo GLS/KLX/Ninja
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)

Sipper' - '04 Kawasaki Ninja 250
90 day: 74.98 mpg (US)
Ultima GTR 720

Holds all records relevant to what a sports car is for, quick lap times!

Not to mention it's WAY cheaper than anything in it's speed class!

Not that I'll ever afford one....
Old 06-12-2012, 08:49 AM   #13 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
...Jaguar XKE coupe!
Old 06-12-2012, 09:36 AM   #14 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
I want to respond to all of you guys, on every single topic and car, but that feat will have to wait until I get to a computer, because the ipad does not have much sensitivity for me, especially when I'm excited like this! Lol

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:39 AM   #15 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneck View Post
List your favorite SPORTS car, and why.

Lets see...

Could it be a,

GT...???

Lamborghini...???

Porsche 911...???

Nope....

My favorite...

!962 VW T1 (Split Window) Bus.

Why...???

Watch.

>
Wow. All out performance, I don't think the T1 would do so well, but that driving was impressive. S/he definitely knows that track, the vehicle, and they have some gull. Cool video, except I haven't learned enough German to understand ANYTHING from the video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by royanddoreen View Post
Growing up it was the gt40 and 70 vette, getting close to getting my first car i wanted a tr6.
I did like the GT40, and even the MKs that came before it, but it took so many tries to get it right. Between power, reliability, and the price tag, the GT40 seems like a bit too much to be worth it. And I'm not sure if they actually made a street legal/production version, I thought they were all for racing. Similar to my comment about the GT44, trying to get the last model, the final editions of the GT40 were truly spectacular. I get the vette for the money, and the string rays did look good. Just not my cup of tea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHarvey View Post
Ultima GTR 720

Holds all records relevant to what a sports car is for, quick lap times!

Not to mention it's WAY cheaper than anything in it's speed class!

Not that I'll ever afford one....
That is impressive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tele man View Post
...Jaguar XKE coupe!
It seems like a lot of people are into the E type. I was always taught that you have to buy two Jags, so you always have something to drive...
And reviewing recent reviews of Jags since Ford sold them to Tata, their reliability has not increased at all, regardless of the fantastic upgrades in style, power, and material. I think the E type is ugly, but it seems the rest of the world loves it, so it must just be me.

I am not a huge fan of Porsche, even though I love the current Volkswagen group (including Porsche). What I am a huge fan of, is RUF.

Best Tanks:
Old 06-12-2012, 01:11 PM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Dude!! my new favorite video :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneck View Post
List your favorite SPORTS car, and why.

Lets see...

Could it be a,

GT...???

Lamborghini...???

Porsche 911...???

Nope....

My favorite...

!962 VW T1 (Split Window) Bus.

Why...???

Watch.

>
Dude!! that is now my new favorite video Damn funny!!
Old 06-12-2012, 01:45 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
But I have to disagree on one point: any car with 600 hp doesn't qualify as a sports car in my book. Even 200 would be pushing it.
I should maybe elaborate on that a bit, since it really goes to the definition of what a sports car should (IMHO) be. A sports car is for driving briskly (but not necessarily at high speeds) on winding roads, with the top down. It should be as much fun to drive that sort of road at 40 mph as to go around a track at 140.

Now on a properly twisty road - say Hwy 1 around Big Sur - you just can't go that fast, so most of your 600 horses are wasted. Further, you don't (at least if you're me) even want to go fast, because there's a point (around 50-70 mph) where having the wind in your hair switches from joy to being a pain in the neck.

So most of your Lambos, GT-Whatevers, and so on fail the elementary test of being sports cars, 'cause the top doesn't come down, and (from my very limited experience, anyway) they're rather a pain on the slow & twisty bits.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:18 PM   #18 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Quote:
I should maybe elaborate on that a bit, since it really goes to the definition of what a sports car should (IMHO) be. A sports car is for driving briskly (but not necessarily at high speeds) on winding roads, with the top down. It should be as much fun to drive that sort of road at 40 mph as to go around a track at 140.

Now on a properly twisty road - say Hwy 1 around Big Sur - you just can't go that fast, so most of your 600 horses are wasted. Further, you don't (at least if you're me) even want to go fast, because there's a point (around 50-70 mph) where having the wind in your hair switches from joy to being a pain in the neck.

So most of your Lambos, GT-Whatevers, and so on fail the elementary test of being sports cars, 'cause the top doesn't come down, and (from my very limited experience, anyway) they're rather a pain on the slow & twisty bits.
I do see your point, but I think of it differently. I think of a REAL sports car as a garage only, not your daily driver car. A car designed for sport. Now a days we have sports cars, and super cars, and hyper cars, and I'm sure in a few years we will have something even beyond that.

My mind set is still back in the time when there was a Chevy Camaro, and a Ford Mustang as sporty cars. Everything else was either a slug and just a cruiser, or they were a Ferrari, or a Lambo. Most vehicles under 55k aren't sports cars, rather sporty, cars-in my opinion.

So I do agree that a Datsun GTR, and a Ford GT, Buggati Veyron, so on, are more than sports cars, but super or hyper cars, but in my mind I will always have that divide.

Best Tanks:
Old 06-12-2012, 04:47 PM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Volt, gas only - '12 Chevrolet Volt Premium
90 day: 38.02 mpg (US)

Volt, electric only - '12 Chevrolet Volt Premium
90 day: 132.26 mpg (US)

Yukon Denali Hybrid - '12 GMC Yukon Denali Hybrid
90 day: 21.48 mpg (US)
Quote:
So most of your Lambos, GT-Whatevers, and so on fail the elementary test of being sports cars, 'cause the top doesn't come down
if thats what makes a sports car, then i don't want one. only girls go topless

Old 06-12-2012, 04:52 PM   #20 (permalink)
NightKnight

RippinRoo - '05 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5 GT
Subaru
90 day: 21.16 mpg (US)

Helga - '00 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
Diesel
90 day: 53.91 mpg (US)

Olga - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon
90 day: 46.24 mpg (US)
When I was younger, I also thought the Ultima GTR was one of the most incredible looking and performing sports cars which I could actually build from a kit.

As I got older, I enjoyed the classics more, especially the gorgeous looks of the Daytona Cobra Coupe, which also happens to be available as a kit.

Now that my youthful enthusiasm has been dampened by reality somewhat and I've got more of an eco outlook, I really like the Smyth G3F as an amazing combination of both excellent economy and more than sufficient performance which I can build from a kit.

Common themes: 1) I like the idea of building it myself (though I haven't done that yet); and 2) I like curvy lines a lot more than edgy lines (never liked the Lamborghini because it was too edgy)

While some may consider only convertibles to be 'sports cars', I never considered convertibles to be true 'drivers' cars. Without the top, they tend to be floppy and making them rigid again makes them heavy. Plus I never understood the point of a car if it can't be properly slid through a corner in a downpour... Guess that comes from growing up in a geographical location where it rained enough to make convertibles relatively pointless.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NachtRitter For This Useful Post:
larrybuck (06-14-2012), UltArc (06-12-2012)
Reply  Post New Thread