Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2010, 01:23 PM   #21 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertSmalls View Post
The kid with the '93 Chrysler woody and the second place trophy had 134 dB, which is enough to induce pain in some people, but probably not enough to vibrate your tissue apart.

There was also a gentleman running 19V through his car's 12V grid.

Both of these folks need a hybrid or EV. A Ford Escape can deliver 70kW at 300V. Just build an amplifier that runs directly off the traction battery, like the Prius' air conditioning does, and you're positioned to spend more of your budget on speakers and none on batteries and alternators, allowing you to blow the doors off of those 19V poseurs and steal their women.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-14-2010, 02:23 PM   #22 (permalink)
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
Hello, here is a great link. hahaha

Hey Check out this paragraph:

Even if resonant induction ends up being limited to short distances, it may yet have a great influence, particularly for the future of transportation. “We now [have the means to] charge a car safely and efficiently over gaps of 20 to 40 centimeters, and we believe we can build that into a roadway system,” says Covic. “That’s probably a decade away, but you’ve got to have a vision, and ours is roadway-powered systems.”

So, seriously, how are they going to do this in a gas car? That's what I'm really in favor of developing. I have an idea:

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/m...gic-missle.jpg

Basically, you put the gas in the front nozzle of the missile. Then shoot it at the car. The trick is, when the missile hits the car, you have to figure out a way to make the car not explode. Instead, you need to have perhaps a giant foam pad that will absorb the blow from the missile, and that will then filter the gas into the tank. It sounds complicated, but I think it can be made to work.

Last edited by MPaulHolmes; 05-14-2010 at 11:03 PM..
Old 05-14-2010, 10:52 PM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
The biggest problem with resonant inductance (like Witricity) is that it is about 50% efficient, and it takes ~10s to "lock on". Unless these can be improved (especially the locking on part) then getting any significant power transferred to a vehicle moving even at slow speeds seems problematic, at best.

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/
Old 05-14-2010, 11:52 PM   #24 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
The biggest problem with resonant inductance (like Witricity) is that it is about 50% efficient, and it takes ~10s to "lock on". Unless these can be improved (especially the locking on part) then getting any significant power transferred to a vehicle moving even at slow speeds seems problematic, at best.
Why worry about charging a moving vehicle, when you can just have them charge while they're parked?

Same deal - battery electric car, can go ~100 miles on a charge under current "normal use" conditions (A/C, radio, etc.). How many people really go 100 miles a day, let alone without stopping?

Basically, you're removing the need to plug in the car everywhere you go, and making it such that just parking in an EV-designated parking space will "top off" your batteries (provided you park there long enough...).

I'd think that the "lock on" problem would be mostly a non-issue with that method.

For those that go more than ~100 miles non-stop, well, guess you'll still need your range extender, eh?

Working on the efficiency end of the system will/should enable a faster charge time, though, which means that quick trip into the store to get milk, a magazine, and a pack-o-cancer might just be enough charge to keep the car topped off.

Old 05-15-2010, 07:43 AM   #25 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
I think folks have gone off the deep end on wireless conveniences.

who REALLY needs a wireless keyboard when the thing never leaves the spot in front of the monitor? Why are those batteries being put into play there?!?

Who REALLY wants to make charging a car inefficient? The parking spot idea is good since it can make physical contact w/the car after some handshake/protocol possible accounting, but the wireless charger is not the best use of energy.

I don't even like cordless mowers, I want my mower to work reliably and always, and man does it have some oomph, puts my old gasser to shame. And I'm not pushing a battery pack over every square inch of the lawn, just have to mow in a pattern away from the outlet so I don't cut the cord.

Convenience can be costly, in materials and efficiency.
NeilBlanchard (05-15-2010)
Old 05-15-2010, 09:00 AM   #26 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
If you use existing radio stations (preferably AM due to its relatively low and stable frequency) as the source, there will be no additional draw on the grid. You'll be recovering something that is currently being wasted. It won't be enough to be the only source of power, but it helps.

Allie Moore and I have a combined carbon footprint much smaller than that of one average American...
Old 05-15-2010, 09:26 AM   #27 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiHaoMike View Post
If you use existing radio stations... but it helps.
A typical high power AM station putts out 50000 watts, or 67 horsepower, that is radiating out in three dimensions. The power available to a given sized antenna (say car sized) is a rapidly decreasing fraction of that as you get farther from the transmitter.

If I figure it right (no promises) a saturn sw2 sized rectangle could at most see 1%. or 0.7 hp at 17 feet from the antenna! It gets worse at an accelerating rate the farther you get.

I mean the inefficiencies are obvious, right? We aren't seriously considering wireless en-mass for powering vehicles, for convenience, are we?
Old 05-15-2010, 10:07 AM   #28 (permalink)
Left Lane Ecodriver

Prius C - '12 Toyota Prius C
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
Convenience can be costly, in materials and efficiency.
Very true. Wireless power transmission is horribly inefficient.

Okay, how about you park (manually! ) next to a charging station, get out of the car, and a little robotic arm dressed up with a tuxedo sleeve and a white glove extends from your car and plugs it in for you?

You'll have all the convenience of wireless with none of the transmission losses.
Old 05-15-2010, 10:23 AM   #29 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

lol, that might have some appeal for someone, but a couple spring loaded contacts that hit your front bumper, plus some "yes, I'm an EV, it is safe to turn on the power" digital handshake would be pretty pragmatic for the masses.
Old 05-15-2010, 10:47 AM   #30 (permalink)
Eco Amateur

AeroCav - '03 Chevrolet Cavalier
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
I think folks have gone off the deep end on wireless conveniences.

who REALLY needs a wireless keyboard when the thing never leaves the spot in front of the monitor? Why are those batteries being put into play there?!?

I don't even like cordless mowers, I want my mower to work reliably and always, and man does it have some oomph, puts my old gasser to shame. And I'm not pushing a battery pack over every square inch of the lawn, just have to mow in a pattern away from the outlet so I don't cut the cord.

1. I do need a wireless keyboard. I use my tv as a computer monitor and as a tv because I dont have space for both in my livingroom. Since I dont have a desk I use my coffee table thats about 3 feet away. Saves space and time for me.

2. Don't have any outdoor plugs to use so If i use my plug in mower I can only mow up to 10 feet from my backdoor. So I use a reelmower. Works good since I mostly have moss and clover.

Reply  Post New Thread