Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2022, 08:51 PM   #31 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Black Bullet - '19 Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vman455 View Post
Those all sound like a good starting point. Build them out of cheap, disposable materials first and test them. Every time I test, I am surprised at what works that I didn't think would work, and what doesn't work that I really thought would.
is there a way to test without buying fancy or expensive equipment? the ioniqs instant read MPG sucks

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-02-2022, 10:02 PM   #32 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,585 Times in 7,069 Posts
I like the idea of putting a camera at the center of a 100ft circle, and driving a tufted car in varying crosswinds. One would get info on quartering winds very easily.

Assume an assistant else tracking software.

Old 04-02-2022, 11:21 PM   #33 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
I like the idea of putting a camera at the center of a 100ft circle, and driving a tufted car in varying crosswinds. One would get info on quartering winds very easily.

Assume an assistant else tracking software.
any opinions on doing cfd simulations for aero and mods? ive seen some high quality 3d models of ioniqs online. my computer is plenty powerful for running the simulations
Old 04-03-2022, 12:30 AM   #34 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

quick photoshop sample of OEM looking rear wheel cover. ignore the spoiler photoshop add on lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image0.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	31859  
The Following User Says Thank You to Phase For This Useful Post:
aerohead (04-04-2022)
Old 04-03-2022, 01:43 PM   #35 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
any opinions on doing cfd simulations for aero and mods?
Just one. Someone will do an Add-on for Blender 3.x for CFD that will take advantage of the Open VDB that is already integrated into the program.

Quote:
OpenVDB
https://www.openvdb.org
OpenVDB is an Academy Award-winning open-source C++ library comprising a novel hierarchical data structure and a suite of tools for the efficient storage and manipulation of sparse volumetric data discretized on three-dimensional grids. It was developed by DreamWorks Animation for use in volumetric applications typically encountered in feature ...
The physics engine has particle physics already. Above my pay grade. I find this today, haven't read yet:

Quote:
best practice for CFD simulation rendering - Chaos Forums
Search domain forums.chaos.comray-for-3ds-max-problems › 74730-best-practice-for-cfd-simulation-rendering
Thanks, I tried on google buth CFD + VDB export lead to zero result. Matlab, Ansys... none of this CFD software support the Open VDB or F3D format. That's weird! Comment. Post Cancel. fraggle. Senior Member ... then from Paraview to blender for the rendering. If blender can do it I believed that Vray and max can do it! here are the list of CFD ...

Old 04-03-2022, 02:45 PM   #36 (permalink)

Pope Pious the Prius - '13 Toyota Prius Two
Team Toyota
SUV
90 day: 51.62 mpg (US)

Tycho the Truck - '91 Toyota Pickup DLX 4WD
90 day: 22.22 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,802 Times in 939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase View Post
is there a way to test without buying fancy or expensive equipment? the ioniqs instant read MPG sucks
Yes! Absolutely. Start with this thread. Things like tuft testing are dirt cheap, literally just a few bucks for yarn and painter's tape. Pressure measurement can be done for less than $100, the cost of a manometer, tubing, a pitot tube and mount, and a pressure disk (cheapest to make your own; the commercial ones aren't expensive--less than $10 IIRC--but you have to buy a certain number minimum). Throttle-stop testing, if it will work on your car, is almost as cheap as tuft testing if you have some old hardware and wood laying around.

I wrote up the basics of tuft testing here and pressure measurement here. I'll do another thread on throttle-stop testing in a while since I just started using it on my truck.
Old 04-04-2022, 11:07 AM   #37 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
bisimoto

I looked at it and vote thumbs-down on the rear spoiler.
1) The IONIQ is already on the 'template' contour at its upper separation point.
2) Directing the flow up and over a rear spoiler would only re-accelerate the local flow, destroying the only thing which could provide pressure recovery, a higher base pressure, and lower overall drag.
3) I like the front wheel arch gap-fillers. That's a GO!
4) I like the rear wheel skirts. That's a GO!
5) Any additional paneling you can get away with underneath.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
6) As the Cd comes down you'll need less and less cooling, as with Mercedes' new EQXX.
7) There may be a tiny amount of fruit with more 'Tesla-esque' side mirrors, on very-narrow stalks, at least 80mm away from the body.
8) 'Janky' coroplast wheel covers zip-tied to alloy wheels, or ventilated Dzus-fastened MOONs on steel wheels.
9) I've never seen an IONIQ at rest. If you can tell us where the rear diffuser begins underneath the car, there might be a recommendation for its upsweep angle.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
After all existing OEM features are addressed, you need to consider basjoos' comment about a receiver-hitch-mounted tail.
10) The IONIQ is missing 84-inches of body length.
11) You only have 43% aft-body as it is.
12) Your Length-to-Height ratio is only 3.082:1.
13) In order to approach your target 60-mpg @ 80-mph, you'd actually need a fully-gap-sealed, fully-boat-tailed, tadpole trailer, like BamZipPow's.
14) Any remarkable drag reduction is going to come from elongation. There's no way around it.
Old 04-04-2022, 12:13 PM   #38 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

a low-drag benchmark for 60-mpg @ 80-mph

This architecture would come close to satisfying your design specification.
1) It's separation-free
2) It's full pressure recovery
3) Only skin friction exists
4) Even with tail truncation large enough for rear license plate and taillights, it's drag would not increase measurably.
5) With ICE hybrid, it's cooling requirement would be low enough to still come in within @ Cd 0.12.
6) Tesla-esque mirrors degrade it to Cd 0.13.
https://inhabitat.com/cuer-unveils-s...lar-challenge/
Old 04-04-2022, 01:33 PM   #39 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
This architecture would come close to satisfying your design specification.
Fails on ingress/egress.

Old 04-04-2022, 02:03 PM   #40 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

CFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase View Post
any opinions on doing cfd simulations for aero and mods? ive seen some high quality 3d models of ioniqs online. my computer is plenty powerful for running the simulations
If it's the same quality as what the automakers use, it would predict Cds for any modification.
The new Road Load emerging from the new data-point would allow you to work your way back to the brake horsepower, and from there, the new mpg.
The CFD requires a 120-core processor and you'd need the data cloud which defined every detail of the car, including the engine compartment, suspension, all porous openings, and rotating wheels.
The Exa PowerFlow people would never return a phone call. Maybe they can figure out whose the billionaire on the end of the line, without taking the call.