Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2009, 10:20 PM   #81 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
depends how you project it into 3d, could be (not a comprehensive list):

a. two tubes next to each other, I think the true name is "really cool straw from fast food restaurant"

b. two balls touching, correctly termed dognuts

c. something that looks like two hyper dimensional do-nuts

d. a torus with R = r
Actually, there are two names for the symbol .

One, which is not the one I'm looking for, is Lemniscate, which represents the symbol in typeset.

Once transferred into 3d space, the symbol can be viewed as a surface with only one side and one boundary.

(That's a hint.)

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-05-2009, 11:24 PM   #82 (permalink)
Renaissance Man

Aegean C - '17 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 39.43 mpg (US)
Null?

Old 11-05-2009, 11:26 PM   #83 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
hmm. you have to put one (or an odd number) of *half* twists in a strip to make it a "mobius". They don't look very 8ish with just a half twist though (unless you twist the ends and look at it just right). To make it look like an 8 you have to put two half twists in it, which means it again has two distinct sides and edges.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:29 PM   #84 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
hmm. you have to put one (or an odd number) of *half* twists in a strip to make it a "mobius". They don't look very 8 ish. To make it look like an 8 you have to put two half twists in it, which means it again has two distinct sides and edges.
Make one, then look at it from the twist. If you contort the shape, it makes the same image as a lemniscate, represented in 3d space. Quantum Physics

If I have enough money come Christmas, I'm going to order myself a "Klein's Bottle".

Old 11-05-2009, 11:32 PM   #85 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

more like Escher try a strip with two half twists and you will see what I mean.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:59 PM   #86 (permalink)

I have - that's how I know it works. It was part of an intro to physics seminar I attended a couple years ago in NYC.

The moebius strip is the 3D equivalent of "Infinity", because one can travel along all it's surfaces endlessly without changing direction or crossing a boundary line.

EDIT: For clarity.

Last edited by Christ; 11-06-2009 at 12:26 AM..
Old 11-06-2009, 12:21 AM   #87 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

dude, you could say that about a ring, if it is even an accurate thing to say.

you will eventually come back to where you started, it will just take you twice as long.

Sorry, I'm a little cheesed at the more sensational aspects of mathematics these days, been trying to explain to a kid that there is nothing magical about a Fibonacci spiral, just because a few individual shells approximate the "divine ratio" in their growth rate (which divine ratio?). Start surfing the web for info and it's like anything ordinary thing that a mathematician has presented with any twist or curve takes on the power of infinity or the divine.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:24 AM   #88 (permalink)

You can't touch both sides of a ring without crossing a boundary, except this wedding ring, which is designed as a Mobius Strip.

I completely understand frustration with math these days, though. Everything's a "break through"... in reality, stupid people buy anything they read, and the wrong people get credit for something that was discovered like 2000 years ago or more.

"Klein Bottle information"

Old 11-26-2009, 11:33 AM   #89 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Excellent thread derail, christ!1 I want a Klein bottle too! Way cool. I hadn't given any thought to the Mobius strip in decades. So, I enjoyed your link
Old 11-26-2009, 11:34 AM   #90 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Another Palmear article.....dunno if it really says anything new, or is just different wording.

Fulton County Expositor

Pelmear unveils the basic technology of his innovative 110 mpg engine

By DAVID J. COEHRS

Expositor Features Editor

While on his way to speak at the annual SEMA Show in Las Vegas, Doug Pelmear's revolutionary Hp2g engine got an average 137 miles per gallon of E85 fuel over the 2,223 route.

Once there, he was willing for the first time to share with enthusiasts and skeptics alike how that's possible.

Now that patents on the V8, 400 horsepower, 110 mile per gallon hybrid engine are secure, Pelmear rocked the Nov. 2-5 Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA) convention with its basic technology. He'll do the same at the upcoming Detroit Auto Show to be held Jan. 11-24 at Cobo Center.

The secret? A variable displacement system that allows for rotational use of the eight cylinders to improve fuel economy and a brushless electric motor within the engine.

"To the naked eye, it looks just like a normal engine, but it's complex," Pelmear said Tuesday.

According to Pelmear, the fuel-fired engine can transition from running on all cylinders to an elaborate system that selects which ones to shut down when not "under load." The engine can operate on a single cylinder, which rotates between the others to avoid carbon accumulation.

The electric motor operates on a pulse basis, so that the electric field generating power to the wheels can cycle on and off to save energy.

The engine requires assistance from two lighter-weight "spiral core gel" batteries commonly used in racing. But Pelmear said traditional automotive batteries can also be used.

The Hp2g engine housed in his 1987 Ford Mustang has gotten an average 109.7 miles per gallon while logging over 22,000 miles in 18 months. A study by the Environmental Protection Agency in May ruled that the Mustang emitted hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide at levels well below the agency's newly-imposed automobile standards. The engine runs exclusively on ethanol-based fuel.

With its electromagnetic propulsion, the Hp2g engine is a marriage between fuel-driven and battery-driven engines, Pelmear said. All engine parts are manufactured in the U.S., and dealership zones for cars carrying the engine are being set up across the country.

When he described his engine at the SEMA convention "pretty much the naysayers stopped," Pelmear said. An agreement has already been inked with Revenge Designs, an automobile manufacturer in Decatur, Ind., and Pelmear is currently in discussions with several other companies whose names he won't disclose.

He was inspired to pursue a more efficient engine after watching his father and grandfather work on their own version. His concept, which came in a dream, is a cleaner burning engine, Pelemear said. In fact, after turning over 24,000 miles his Mustang still doesn't need an oil change.

Developing and building the engine has been a costly venture. Although Pelemear received a $50,000 loan from Henry County, getting financial assistance has proven difficult. The federal government has routinely ignored his requests since 2002.

"Politics are politics. This is business," Pelmear said, shrugging. "I could have sold out. But there's a bigger meaning to this. I think people need to go back to work."

His fledgling company of about a dozen employees has so far built a handful of the engines. He expects to produce enough to install in vehicles by the third quarter of 2010.

The engine is also being introduced for study in alternative technology classes at Northwest State Community College. Pelmear has partnered with the school so that young individuals become familiar with the state-of-the-art mechanics.

"There's less 'Does it work' and more 'How does it work' now," he said.

Reply  Post New Thread