Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2008, 11:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Bertha - '00 Toyota Land Cruiser
Metro Buying Guide

After lots of research on an "new" car, I keep coming back to a Metro. However, I know nothing about them. I'm pretty versed in Honda's, Toyota's, old Chevy's, etc, but no Metro! Is there a "buyers guide" that anyone has created? I'm thinking 1996 or newer so I can use a ScanGuage. Here's what I'm after:

Is there a "best" year?

Is there a common problem area? (Transmission, engine, suspension, electrical, etc)

What is the rim/tire size and offset? I ask because I would like to find a nice looking, light weight aftermarket new/used rim. Along the lines of a Honda Civic VX rim.

Do most have A/C?

Was cruise control an option? Not to be petty, but I drive the open highway A LOT for work!

How comfy are the seats after 3-4 hours? Has anyone EASILY (no welding) changed them out for a more comfy seat? Again, I drive 25-30K per year!

Do they have enough power to get up the mountain passes without getting run over?

I want the mpg's, but are there any inexpensive performance mods that don't hurt mileage to much? Cylinder head, exhaust, etc?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to learn!

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-17-2008, 10:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
VIVA LA MPG RESISTANCE

Meat-roll - '97 Geo Metro
Team Metro
90 day: 55.4 mpg (US)

Wife's Brruik - '03 Buick Century
90 day: 30.84 mpg (US)

Blue Balt - '08 Chevrolet Cobalt XFE
Team Chevy
90 day: 38.19 mpg (US)
Well, here are your problem spots on all Metros: Dashboard fade (who cares) and lower control arms rusting out. This is very bad because the car will come apart! I would inspect the control arms of any potential Metro very carefully!!!

1.0L 3cyl Metro: These have problems dropping a cyl. Usually it is #2, or #1. This could be due to the design of the EGR sys. or the PCV sys. Here is a good build thread on the 1.0L to give you an idea. It's a pretty simple engine:
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ject-2936.html

Most 1.0Ls did not come with a/c due to the lack of engine power, but you can occasionally find them. Cruise control was an option you may or may not find.

The 1.3L was a bit more stable than the 1.0 and had more power, but did not have near the MPGs of the 3 cylinders of screamin" fury.

Do not buy an automatic trans. The MPGs were down in the high 30s, and they did not have and Overdrive! The manual 5 speed is the way to go!

All of the 96 and newer had 13" wheels, and the seats were not too bad, at least a lot better than the early Metros. I drive right at 80 miles a day and have no complaints.
Old 08-17-2008, 11:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thanks for the info Will. I won't buy anything without the 5 speed. Unfortunately, no A/C would be a deal killer. It gets hot in CO and I sometimes spend 6 or more hours in the car and must look "presentable" to my clients!
Old 08-17-2008, 04:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Anyone else with feedback. Just trying to learn. Hopefully soon I will be able to contribute, not just ask questions!
Old 08-17-2008, 06:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
VIVA LA MPG RESISTANCE

Meat-roll - '97 Geo Metro
Team Metro
90 day: 55.4 mpg (US)

Wife's Brruik - '03 Buick Century
90 day: 30.84 mpg (US)

Blue Balt - '08 Chevrolet Cobalt XFE
Team Chevy
90 day: 38.19 mpg (US)
Honestly, and I hate to say it, if image for clients is a concern I would not look at a Metro. I would think maybe a nice CRX or if $$$ is not the big deal breaker, a Honda Insight.
Old 08-17-2008, 06:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Black Spark - '14 Chevrolet Spark LS
90 day: 35.68 mpg (US)

K3500 - '93 GMC Sierra 3500 Dually LS
90 day: 9.05 mpg (US)

Mango Tango - '15 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
90 day: 20.85 mpg (US)

Z0MBAE - '96 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
90 day: 16.11 mpg (US)
I think 13 inch rims and tires started showing up during '95 redesign, that's what I have. I would suggest sticking with a 5-speed as well, however, the '97 HB that I just bought squeaked out 39.61 mpg with tires that had about 20psi in 'em...it's a 4cylinder automatic too!

I agree rust is the main buying factor...but look at the radiator core support and rocker panels too, not just where the lower control arms mount to. Don't concern yourself with not being Geo-knowledgeable...they are about as basic as a car can get and super easy to work on. Heck, any normal-sized guy could lift the engine out of the engine bay if they HAD to.

Hope you find a good one. Maybe you could even consider traveling to south west states to fins a rust free Metro.

Hacksaw.
Old 08-17-2008, 06:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

V-strom 650 - '07 Suzuki DL-650 V-strom
90 day: 55.03 mpg (US)

07 Focus ZXW - '07 Ford Focus ZXW SE
90 day: 30.09 mpg (US)
The seats are suprisingly comfortable.

Check for worn wheel bearings: common problem.

The dashboard problem isn't fade, it's gross deterioration. If you care about that, buy a post-1998 and you'll have no problem.

Old 08-17-2008, 08:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

CPT SLO - '93 GEO Metro plainjane
90 day: 53.91 mpg (US)

SilverHairBeauty - '01 Toyota Avalon XL
90 day: 24.06 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to metroschultz
Most of your southern cars have A/C
Also the further south you go the less you worry about rust.
S.

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.
Albert Einstein
Old 08-17-2008, 08:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

More great info! Thanks everyone. I have no problem going to NM or AZ if need be. I have seem a few on Craigslist today in CO with AC. As far as image, I don't really care. Most of my clients don't see my car, but if I walk in soaked after driving 2 hours with no AC, they may not be happy! I would love a CRX, I used to have one. The only problem is I need to haul 2-3 kids a few times a week and don't want to be forced into driving my Land Cruiser.
Old 08-17-2008, 09:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
Hi-Tech Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Johnny Mullet Send a message via MSN to Johnny Mullet
Like stated above, the most important thing is to check for rust in the lower control arm mount area even if the car is down South because some of those cars are from up north.

A 3 cylinder 5 speed 1998-2000 Chevy Metro with A/C should not be that hard to find. Getting a 4 door or a Hatchback is up to you, but I prefer the hatchback look and the usable room inside. I do not think you will find cruise on a Metro factory installed. I never seen one yet, but have seen aftermarket units installed. The seats on older models were horrible, but newer seats from the 1995+ era are much better.

If you drive the mountains, then you can expect the 3 cylinder to be somewhat weak especially if the A/C is on, but if it's running properly, then you should not have too much trouble. It's a commuter car and that's all.

If you get one and want more power, you can install a 10 degree advance cam gear available from 3Tech and this will boost the power. There are also exhaust upgrades you can do also.

Good luck on your search!

GeoMetroforum.com - got mpg?
Reply  Post New Thread