Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2008, 10:49 PM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Crappy Gas Pipe - '84 Mercedes 300D Turbo 230k Miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by azraelswrd View Post
I suspect there's not much difference at conventional road speeds for cars. When I look at a NASCAR track and see the entire spectrum of colors on everything -- makes me think that since they're not all just a few colors, there is probably no edge to just a few colors.

But in theory darker colors should absorb more energy, translate that into heat, transferring part of that energy back to the air and decreasing the air density... sounds pretty small though.
NASCAR trucks have lots of colors because its eye candy for the spectators, they can be identified so you can pick the one you would like to see crash and they would never tell a sponser your logo slows me down, take back all your money.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-11-2008, 10:58 PM   #12 (permalink)
Mr. Blue Tape

AzxA - '06 Scion xA
90 day: 42.72 mpg (US)
Other than improved warm up of the engine, I don't see color improving speed or velocity that would be of measurable or major consequence. Average car is too massive.

As for the Mythbusters RESULTS, here it is:

MythBusters Episode 38: "MythBusters Revisited"

Quote:
SPINOFF: A black car heats up faster than an identical white car. (From pilot 2)

confirmed

A fan wrote in and asked a follow up question: "Does the color of a car affect the way it heats up?". The MythBusters used two identical cars, one black the other white and left them both out in the summer heat with thermometers in both. By mid-afternoon the black car had heated up to a temperature of 135 °F while the white car topped off at 126 °F, almost 10 degrees cooler.
and because I think this is always cool to mention:

Quote:
REVISITED: Running a car with air conditioning on is more fuel efficient than running with the windows down. (From episode 22)

partly confirmed

The fundamental flaw in the MythBusters’ test was that the point where the drag becomes powerful enough to inhibit a car’s performance with windows down was inside their 45 - 55mph margin at 50mph. Going less than 50mph it is more efficient to leave your windows down, but going greater than 50mph it is more efficient to use your A/C.
-- my own test results agreed with this as 45mph showed no major drag but at 50mph it was more apparent.

My 5 pillars of fuel efficiency:
  • driving style
  • aerodynamics
  • tires
  • weight reduction
  • engine maintenance
Old 08-12-2008, 04:52 AM   #13 (permalink)
Certified Freak

Greenblazer's Taco - '07 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab SR5 V6 4.0Liter
90 day: 24.54 mpg (US)
Hey everybody knows that Green is the best color. A Green car should be getting about 10% better mileage than the other color cars.

Later,

Allan Greenblazer
Old 08-12-2008, 08:09 AM   #14 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Daily Driver - '02 Pontiac Grand Prix SE
90 day: 18.45 mpg (US)
shouldn't a green car get better than 10% better? seems your truck is working on 44.1% better....
Old 08-12-2008, 09:27 AM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Icarus - '11 Ford Mustang GT
90 day: 20.71 mpg (US)

Walter - '02 Chevrolet Suburban LT
A shiny car will get better mileage... The reference to the NASCAR cars triggered a special I saw where they talked about using skins instead of decals on the bodies of the NASCAR cars. This would be similar to removing all of the little emblems on the car to smooth out the surface. Also, in WWII, the USAAC discovered that there was significant drag associated with the olive drab painted aircraft, and that by removing the drab paint and leaving the bare metal, they not only saved some weight, but big gains were the reduced drag on the plane.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:28 AM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Guzzler - '08 Hyundai Elantra GL
90 day: 33.12 mpg (US)

Got Soul? - '11 Kia Soul 2U
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullockracing View Post
A shiny car will get better mileage...
That is false.

Quote:
The reference to the NASCAR cars triggered a special I saw where they talked about using skins instead of decals on the bodies of the NASCAR cars. This would be similar to removing all of the little emblems on the car to smooth out the surface.
That makes sense, though the improvement won't be noticeable, we're talking less than a 1% drag reduction.

Quote:
Also, in WWII, the USAAC discovered that there was significant drag associated with the olive drab painted aircraft, and that by removing the drab paint and leaving the bare metal, they not only saved some weight, but big gains were the reduced drag on the plane.
Planes do not exactly travel at the same speed as we do.

www.HyperKilometreur.com - Quand chaque goutte compte...
Old 08-12-2008, 03:08 PM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Speedster - '69 Schwinn Speedster
I believe the fastest color would be plaid.

Old 08-13-2008, 01:54 AM   #18 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Daily Driver - '02 Pontiac Grand Prix SE
90 day: 18.45 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimJFowler View Post
I believe the fastest color would be plaid.

oh snap. Ludicrous speed engage!
Old 08-13-2008, 04:27 AM   #19 (permalink)
What? THIS IS MY GOOD CAR

The Japillac - '87 Honda Accord LXi Sedan
90 day: 31.77 mpg (US)

Ranchero GT - '73 Ford Ranchero GT

Spaz - '83 Chevy S10 4X4 Tahoe
90 day: 27.53 mpg (US)
Send a message via ICQ to justpassntime
Depends on the area. Whatever color the police cars are in your particular part of the world is the fastest color and least costly to the driver. The proof...they go as fast as they want, don't have to stop at red lights, never get pulled over and don't have to pay for their gas!

Old 08-13-2008, 12:06 PM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
color

Vanishing-fluid is best.It's on the same isle as frictionless bearings,anti-gravity spray,left-handed axle stretchers,kanutin rods,dizzly-pins,chrome muffler bearings,board stretchers,hole-shrink,and automatic-installation grease.