Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Instrumentation > OpenGauge / MPGuino FE computer
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2008, 11:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

silver - '99 Honda Civic LX
Last 3: 33.28 mpg (US)
MPGuino in a 99 Civic

Has anyone ever installed a MPGuino in a 99 Civic LX? If so, any car specific instructions you might have would be greatly appreciated. If not, I just ordered my kit today and will be posting a step by step here.

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-09-2009, 05:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Now an install thread

I have completed my MPGuino kit from Fundamental Logic and here it is...

The buisness side...

The looking side...

Powered by USB...

I was going to show the step by step of assembly, however Fundamental Logic has already done a fantastic job of it on their web page so I decided to not reproduce their work. I do intend to make an enclosure for it at some point in the future but for now I'm going bare circuit.

I found the ECU pinout for the 99 Civic LX that I plan in installing the MPGuino into.

On connector B, pin1 is the 12V supply, pin2 is the ground and pin3 is the signal line for the second fuel injector.

On connector C, pin23 is the signal form the VSS.

Having identified my splice locations, as soon as I purchase some phone wire I will start the installation process. More pics to come.
Old 02-14-2009, 04:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Minor update for the install. The #1 pin on the B connector is a switched 12v supply so I had to use the #21 pin as it is not switched. photos of install to come shortly.
Old 02-15-2009, 07:18 AM   #4 (permalink)
OCD Master EcoModder

Outasight - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 54.18 mpg (US)
Are these connectors all below the right side footrest?
Old 02-15-2009, 11:13 AM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Yes, they go into the ecu. I have run into another problem in that the injector pins are the 12v side of the signal. I really didn't want to go through the firewall but now it looks like I will need to in order to get the correct wire. There are about 5 different pinouts for the 6th generation of civics, if you need a different one than what I posted, let me know.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
OCD Master EcoModder

Outasight - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 54.18 mpg (US)
My civic is a '97 HX. I found a pic with supposedly the correct pinout for that year.
►Honda Usefull Ecu Pinouts OBD2B OBD2A OBD1◄ - EK9.org JDM EK9 Honda Civic Type R Forum
The drawing labeled "OBD2A" should be for my '97 Civic.

What do you mean about the injector pins being the 12V side of signal? Do you mean, a pulsing 12V+ is sent to the injectors, and the circuit grounds into the head/block there, after activating the injector? In that case, I think it's right to connect MPGuino anywhere between the CPU and the injector. I would assume that's how the injectors are wired, but what do I know?? I'm still new to Japanese cars.

However if there's additional information then please explain. Does the ECU send out a steady 12V+ and injector ground goes back to the ECU and the ECU controls grounding?? If that's the case, I don't see how anyone could ever read an injector signal. Scary.

Please explain...
Thanks
Old 05-24-2009, 07:53 AM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Switched ground side of injector signal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3tic View Post
Yes, they go into the ecu. I have run into another problem in that the injector pins are the 12v side of the signal. I really didn't want to go through the firewall but now it looks like I will need to in order to get the correct wire. There are about 5 different pinouts for the 6th generation of civics, if you need a different one than what I posted, let me know.
What did you end up doing, wiring to the ground side of the injector? Did it work? I'm about to install in a 99 Civic EX. Did you try wiring to the +12V injector signal off the ECU first? Thanks in advance.
Old 05-24-2009, 10:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I am actually having problems with bad soldier joints and wire connections. I can get it to work with the connections used above but the unit keeps resetting on me every minute or so. I think the power supply is where my connection problem is but I am having problems correcting it.
Old 05-25-2009, 02:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Punk

Honduh Power - '98 Honda Civic HX
90 day: 44.37 mpg (US)
In my 98 HX I used a different pinout sheet, my vss is in a different spot than yours. And the pin sheet I used showed two power sources so instead I just went for the fuse box.

For the injectors, I also did not bother with the ecu pins, running a wire through the firewall was not a big deal. The way I did it, I went along side the ecu harness and I ended up removing the battery and the battery base/stand to get enough room for me to pull a coat hangar through.

On my injectors, both wires read 12v until I unplugged it. Then one went to zero.

So if your ecu wires both show 12v for the injector, try unplugging the correct injector first.

Happy hunting, looks great so far, keep us posted!

Lets compare numbers once you get yours up and running.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

SI - '93 Honda Civic SI
90 day: 35.69 mpg (US)
Any updates?

Reply  Post New Thread