Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Instrumentation > OpenGauge / MPGuino FE computer
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2019, 01:48 PM   #31 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

This is nice, really I am impressed.
I think tho if you want to make a little $ with less effort, I would suggest you instead of going to all this trouble, make a set of DIY instructions on building an MPGuino on say the cheap Arduino Nano with no display but instead a BT adapter and make an android APP so that peeps can just use their phone or a tablet etc as a display. Market the App for say $5 and sit back, no more building of units and all the troubleshooting that goes into that crap! Should be more reliable too as less wiring and stuff to potentially go wrong.

This is my goal, I plan (tho I am limited in ability) to build an MPGuino that interfaces to my Odroid carputer so that an app can be used as a display on it. Plan to use GPIO input pins to interface with the arduino tho not BT. Still same(ish) idea.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-06-2019, 03:33 AM   #32 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

UFI - '12 Fiat 500 Twinair
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 40.3 mpg (US)

Jeep - '05 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
90 day: 18.09 mpg (US)

R32 - '89 Nissan Skyline

STiG - '16 Renault Trafic 140dCi Energy
90 day: 30.12 mpg (US)

Prius - '05 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 50.25 mpg (US)

Premodded - '49 Ford Freighter
90 day: 13.48 mpg (US)

F-117 - '10 Proton Arena GLSi
Pickups
Mitsubishi
90 day: 37.82 mpg (US)

Ralica - '85 Toyota Celica ST
90 day: 25.23 mpg (US)

Sx4 - '07 Suzuki Sx4
90 day: 32.21 mpg (US)

F-117 (2) - '03 Citroen Xsara VTS
90 day: 30.06 mpg (US)
The car mine was going into has thrown a spaz (and I've decided to sell it on), so I've only been able to bench test mine. I think it's a great step up, it's really small for a touch screen (which is good and bad of course).

I look forward to fitting it to something though

Old 01-17-2020, 01:16 AM   #33 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

For our older vehicles with narrow band O2 sensors that switch at the 0,45 V to indicate rich /lean -can future code include a possible indication in one of the corners to indicate if the O2 is reading rich /lean .
Facility via menu to enable or disable readings or indicator or both .

Thanks in advance
Bradley
Old 01-17-2020, 02:30 AM   #34 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Can this code be used on an arduino due ?
Thanks in advance
Old 01-27-2020, 02:30 AM   #35 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Look forward to see your fitment oldtamiyaphile!

I don't know if it'd work on the Due, it took a lot of doing to get the original code designed for the Uno to work on the Mega. I'm sure it could be done! The code here is very specific to the touch screen's I chose to use, that'd take a bit of doing to integrate it onto another type of screen also.
Old 01-27-2020, 02:33 AM   #36 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradlington View Post
For our older vehicles with narrow band O2 sensors that switch at the 0,45 V to indicate rich /lean -can future code include a possible indication in one of the corners to indicate if the O2 is reading rich /lean .
Facility via menu to enable or disable readings or indicator or both .

Thanks in advance
Bradley
Good idea

I haven't thought about doing this myself as all experience ive had with the closed loop systems Toyota run are very tidy on the air/fuel ratio. Basically its a constant teeter between rich/lean when in closed loop and punching the throttle always shows rich.

I could program in a red/green flashing box, that stays red when the speed is >0 and the fuel usage is >average :P aha then it'd be a wireless feature
Old 01-27-2020, 05:04 AM   #37 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

A concern I have with the mpguino is the use of parameters.
The code does not take into account load .

Example my vehicle being a 2.5 l engine on idle with no load has a pulse width of 2,5 ms.
If I enter this into the code , I could get a reasonable accurate measurement .

The moment I have load such as headlights or going up an incline or wot , the pulse width is then varied according to the map being used at the time .

So for average it may turn out as an accurate account but for load variations I do not see it being that accurate .
I am yet to connect mine up and see for myself , but am assuming the code does not measure the pulse width as part of the code and purely going on pulses per minute for its base calculation.
Old 01-27-2020, 05:21 AM   #38 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradlington View Post
A concern I have with the mpguino is the use of parameters.
The code does not take into account load .

Example my vehicle being a 2.5 l engine on idle with no load has a pulse width of 2,5 ms.
If I enter this into the code , I could get a reasonable accurate measurement .

The moment I have load such as headlights or going up an incline or wot , the pulse width is then varied according to the map being used at the time .

So for average it may turn out as an accurate account but for load variations I do not see it being that accurate .
I am yet to connect mine up and see for myself , but am assuming the code does not measure the pulse width as part of the code and purely going on pulses per minute for its base calculation.
oh no sir, the MPGuino is extremely accurate.

the MPGuino measures pulse width of the injectors. it also counts injection pulses per second for an RPM number, but this is secondary.

A typical injected car has a fuel rail with a constant pressure maintained by a regulator on the fuel return side. this is also balanced by the pressure differential felt on the manifold side of the injector. This creates an exact known quantity of fuel for given pulse time that the cars ECU can then manage. The ECU adjusts the pulse width of the injector to adjust how much fuel is added per cycle of the cylinder as the load changes. the MPGuino measures this signal in microseconds.

It has shown itself to be extremely accurate. My 100 series Landcruiser takes over 120L to fill, and each time it has been within 0.5L of what the MPGuino thinks I've used. Aha I believe this to be an inaccuracy of how many clicks I do on the nozzle myself though aha

The only thing the MPGuino cannot compensate for is fuel density through change in fuel temperature. But this would only be if the average temperature of the fuel has deviated by more than say 20DegC since calibration, and this hasn't proven to be an issue in real use. Even on a hot day and cool night, the fuel itself deep within the car doesn't have time to change temperature all that much, and generally remains somewhere in the middle.

Last edited by abbalooga; 01-27-2020 at 05:28 AM..
Old 01-27-2020, 09:50 AM   #39 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thank you for the confirmation of which I must have overlooked the inner workings .
Good that the width is measured as this was indeed something that I was misinformed on .

As far as your accuracy this is very impressive and gives me some confidence in going this route .

Thanks again for your time .
Old 03-27-2020, 05:11 AM   #40 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Reduced the price slightly to try and move the 2 units i have left, link in the first post.

Imperial and Metric switching now available by the user

The Following User Says Thank You to abbalooga For This Useful Post:
Pressingonward (03-27-2020)
Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
colour, lcd, mpguino, tft, touch