Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Instrumentation > OpenGauge / MPGuino FE computer
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2008, 05:00 PM   #631 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

El Camrino - '90 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 32.47 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoxantia View Post
Yes - I have been doing this successfully, since I've been playing with the code. I left the jumper on car power and updated using a laptop (running on battery power).

I guess the arduino is powered so doesn't care how...

For info I have a freeduino, usb version.
Ok, thanks. I too have the freeduino (I bought the assembled version from NKC, rather than the kit).

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-09-2008, 06:11 PM   #632 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

I got the new software uploaded. The RPMs were WAY off to begin with. So I multiplied by an appropriate factor and ended up at 32 pulses/2revs for a fairly decent RPM reading at idle. However, when I'm in park and rev it, the RPMs don't go up. They hover around the same number. Even when I hold the throttle constant for a couple seconds, the same holds true. Problem? Or maybe something unique to my ECU/fuel system? The RPM reading isn't absolutely necessary for me, as I have a tach, but I figured I'd mention it so a potential issue is known ASAP. Any thoughts?

Old 09-09-2008, 07:11 PM   #633 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
Just curious, what screen are you looking at and which corner? Aside from RPM, it is basically working though?!? Given your initial reports of having to use a huge microseconds/gallon I wonder if there is a hardware issue going on either in the car or on the guino. What does instant raw data screen say?

re: raw screen, it will be gone, need the space when in debug for Serial.

re: EOC is miles for now, idle is gallons. One each on the tank trip and the current trip. Useful for determining the costs/benefits of these techniques.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:18 PM   #634 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

I'm looking at one of the custom screens in the bottom left corner (RP is the label, is that right?). That number changed when all I changed was the pulses/2revs in setup. I don't know why my usec/gallon is so large, but MPG seems to be fairly accurate...I haven't driven with the new software, so it was jumpy earlier today. I'll find out tomorrow if the update fixes that. I'll know how close my usec/gallon is over the next fillup or two.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:42 PM   #635 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

Ahhh!!!, I think I got it. You have an early tbi!! The pulse frequency simply has nothing to do with RPM (duh!)
Old 09-09-2008, 07:47 PM   #636 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

That wouldn't affect my mileage numbers, would it? Also, there isn't a way to get the RPM to work properly? (hopefully without much of a software change)

Old 09-09-2008, 07:55 PM   #637 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

The mpg reading should be fine, but it is not simple to add rpm for this injection type. Needs additional hardware/wiring/code.

I would recommend customizing the custom screen to put something more useful in that spot, i.e. before you load it try (to display instant gph):

Code:
change:
void doDisplayCustom(){displayTripCombo('I','M',instantmpg(),'S',instantmph(),'R','P',instantrpm(),'C',current.mpg());}      

to:
void doDisplayCustom(){displayTripCombo('I','M',instantmpg(),'S',instantmph(),'G','H',instantgph(),'C',current.mpg());}
Old 09-09-2008, 08:03 PM   #638 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

I'll change it around and upload after I get it calibrated. In the meantime, I'll keep it on the Instant/Current screen that I had it on before the software update. Thanks.

Old 09-09-2008, 10:00 PM   #639 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsmith24 View Post
The gallons going nowhere would be more useful to me than EOC since I have an automatic and am kinda not sure about coasting in neutral with the motor off until I know specifics about how the transmission fluid works and gets pumped through the necessary parts.
I'd be curious what you find. I tried EOC on my automatic (sigh) Kia on a stretch of country road, and it's just not feasible. Put tranny in neutral, turn key, and what you get is something that moves like an oil tanker. Interior lights come on (minor annoyance), steering is essentially gone, and brakes are abysmal. The vehicle won't start up again while rolling; has to be in Park and foot on break, so it's a no go for pulse & glide.

The brakes are fine for slowing to a stop if you apply them before killing the engine. I've taken to EOC red lights -- Neutral, brake, kill engine, coast/brake to stop; once stopped, put car in Park and ready for start.

(sorry for the OT'ness...)
Old 09-09-2008, 10:26 PM   #640 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Code optimizations

Hey dcb et al,

it's the first time I actually looked at the code. I see a few places where I think I can optimize the size requirements, and possibly the speed as well. First off tho, is there a reason why the LCD's data lines are fragmented? If we used, say, pins 4-7 or 8-11 we could simply push the nibbles into PORT_D or PORT_B, respectively. Am I missing something?

I'm bored, so I'll go through a bit of this tonight.

Reply  Post New Thread