Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Instrumentation > OpenGauge / MPGuino FE computer
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2008, 01:07 PM   #621 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

El Camrino - '90 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 32.47 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmags View Post
I'm interested in this too. It whouldn't be too difficult at all - I was going to try it myself. Gallons to empty should simply be a function that takes the tank gallons and subtracts it from the gallons * 1000. Multiply that by tank MPG and you get miles to empty.

I'm probably willing to give up the raw data screens to get additional space - does anyone use regularly these or could we put them in the #ifdef debug?
I'd put them in debug. Although, it could be a handy calibration tool. I think that measuring distance/speed/gallons used (and multiplying by the appropriate factor) is a more straightfoward way than using those screens to figure it out semi-real time.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-09-2008, 01:11 PM   #622 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyatt View Post
Is there a link for getting to version 0.71? All I can find is the v0.70 (or at least it is labeled as such). Thanks.

Also, if we were seriously looking at gallons used/left in tank, we should look into miles left on tank (which should be easy enough). Just a thought.
That's what I was saying. I can try looking into the code more (with my somewhat limited experience, especially with this project). It shouldn't be difficult, though. All the necessary tools/numbers are already there. It should theoretically work just fine. You would want to use along enough average to be more accurate, but not so long that it is inaccurate (if that makes sense). I figured Tank MPG should work.

Old 09-09-2008, 01:17 PM   #623 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
DTE is not hard, need to decide if tank or current or instant mpg (or some other average, like last 10 minutes) is most appropriate though.

BUT

I really need the compters help to keep track of miles spent EOC, and Gallons spent going nowhere.

Since DTE can be done in your head by looking at the tank screen and there is limited space, I would like to prioritize it below EOC/idle tracking.

the raw data screens can go now that we have rpm. just needed some indicator that the injector/vss signal is working at this point.

Last edited by dcb; 09-09-2008 at 01:22 PM..
Old 09-09-2008, 01:21 PM   #624 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
DTE is not hard, need to decide if tank or current or instant mpg (or some other average, like last 10 minutes) is most appropriate though.

BUT

I really need the compters help to keep track of miles spent EOC, and Gallons spent going nowhere.

Since DTE can be done in your head and there is limited space, I would like to prioritize it below EOC/idle tracking.

Sounds fine to me. What do you think about eliminating the raw data screens to save space? How much space would that actually save?

The gallons going nowhere would be more useful to me than EOC since I have an automatic and am kinda not sure about coasting in neutral with the motor off until I know specifics about how the transmission fluid works and gets pumped through the necessary parts.

Old 09-09-2008, 01:24 PM   #625 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
I modified my post We can lose raw data I think.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:06 PM   #626 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Question:

Is it safe to upload the new software to the board while in the car? In other words, I'd like to be able to take my laptop to the car, plug in the USB with the car power powering the board (power selector jumper set to car power). I will have the car off. Will this work? Or does the board have to be USB-powered while uploading software?

Old 09-09-2008, 02:10 PM   #627 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Scoob - '05 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport SE
90 day: 25.28 mpg (US)
What is it that you're trying to do w/ EOC and idle gallons? just keep separate counts or percentages? I ask because EOC (ignition on) shows me a MPG of 999999, and idle gallons show as MPG of 000.00.

Out of curiosity, were you thinking of removing raw data entirely or shoving it into the #ifdef debuguino?
Old 09-09-2008, 02:12 PM   #628 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Scoob - '05 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport SE
90 day: 25.28 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsmith24 View Post
Question:

Is it safe to upload the new software to the board while in the car? In other words, I'd like to be able to take my laptop to the car, plug in the USB with the car power powering the board (power selector jumper set to car power). I will have the car off. Will this work? Or does the board have to be USB-powered while uploading software?
That's a good question.. I'm running an iDuino, so when I power it direct, there is no jumper so I'd like to know this too...
Old 09-09-2008, 02:21 PM   #629 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

I may just power it USB to be safe (jumper select and all). I hate to destroy something I recently got in a working state.

Old 09-09-2008, 04:58 PM   #630 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Fizz - '06 Skoda Fabia Combi
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 56.62 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsmith24 View Post
Question:

Yes - I have been doing this successfully, since I've been playing with the code. I left the jumper on car power and updated using a laptop (running on battery power).

I guess the arduino is powered so doesn't care how...

For info I have a freeduino, usb version.

Reply  Post New Thread