Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2008, 09:02 PM   #71 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by akcapeco View Post
I actually like the front end on the earlier Generation III Metro's: the guppy mouth 95-97
Geo models.

Mine is a 98 and it has the "Schick Quattro wide-mouth multi-blade" look... somehow it's too fussy for the rest of the car... I'm thinking it will look better in a bra.
I have one for you... came on my '96 but I didn't like it so I removed it. I'm moving and getting rid of stuff, pay the freight and it's yours

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-02-2008, 01:00 AM   #72 (permalink)
Steady as she goes

Shooting Star - '95 geo metro
90 day: 59.91 mpg (US)

HUFFER - '98 Buick Riviera Super Charged
90 day: 30.69 mpg (US)

Kandy, Flake-n-Flames - '96 Buick Riviera Base
90 day: 32.13 mpg (US)

Blue Z - '07 Nissan 350Z coupe
90 day: 34.13 mpg (US)
[QUOTE=metromizer;40034]Maybe I should try slowing down to 55mph... I learned on one 200mile trip, if I drive 70 or 75mph, my mileage drops like a stone to about 36mpg. I live and commute through the SF Bay Area, anyone from here knows that while driving 55mph on the freeway, you get run over... I'll have to think about that. I think I may swap the crown gear or entire trans to get a taller final drive. Not sure I want to tackle that this summer, but we'll see. My goal is still 65mph commute, and 50mpg average, day in and day out (not just a magic tankful every now and again).QUOTE]

If you do slow down you'll be SSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOO Happy with the results. I too deal with the same issue. I have a 140 mile commute to and from work and I get pushed EVERY day! I try my best to keep it a 55 mph. I just put my metro on the road last week and my first mpg check was 59.4 mpg. I was the only guy at the pumps smiling. Since this is a long weekend for me and if I have time I'm going to put a swift trans in with the taller rear gear in it. Can't wait I'm also looking into an sequential LED light bar that will neatly fit in/on the rear bumper or hatch of my metro, so people know to get over before they come up on me at 80+ and then have to jamb on their brakes.

Johnny, The car is coming along GREAT!

How about a 1 Litre Street rod?
Old 07-02-2008, 04:02 PM   #73 (permalink)
Power tuner gone eco

Prudence - '93 BMW 325 i
90 day: 36.64 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by metromizer View Post
Seems to run good, but idles a lot rougher than any 4,6, or V8 I am used to (typical of a 3 cylinder?).
yep, believe it is a secondary moment unbalance that causes the special feel from the 3 cyls.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:13 PM   #74 (permalink)
Hi-Tech Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Johnny Mullet Send a message via MSN to Johnny Mullet
My Metro does not idle perfectly either. After the rebuild, I even re-test the compression wet and dry and had 210 PSI across the board. I just basically got used to it. My newly installed vacuum gauge even picks up the flutter at idle. I can't complain otherwise.

GeoMetroforum.com - got mpg?
Old 07-02-2008, 11:11 PM   #75 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Black Spark - '14 Chevrolet Spark LS
90 day: 34.24 mpg (US)

K3500 - '93 GMC Sierra 3500 Dually LS
90 day: 9.05 mpg (US)

Mango Tango - '15 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
90 day: 20.75 mpg (US)

Z0MBAE - '96 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
90 day: 16.11 mpg (US)
New Guy to the Forum - I'm Hacksaw...

Nice thread Johnny...
Hello everybody,
I picked up a '95 Metro HB a couple weeks ago after being without a Metro for 9 years. The last one I had ('90 4-door HB) was totaled in a head-on but was a great car...I can't believe I went so long before replacing it. My first tank yielded 42mpg and was mostly running back and forth in the city running errands with a lot of stop and go. I am interested in rear fender skirts and a front air dam for aero mods but will hold off on the mirror delete (I like my mirrors for safety). I'm dropping a new (and I do mean new) engine into her tomorrow, weather permitting. It came out of a '96 Metro HB that had 60 miles on it when a high school auto shop dismantled it years ago. (I have the automatic transmission, egr valve for an auto trans, starter for auto trans, intake manifold, throttle body, A/C Compressor, wiring Harness w/computer, etc if anybody is interested) I'm putting in a new clutch and flywheel while I have her apart and replacing the manuals' fluids with Pennzoil Syncromesh when I change the half shafts. I'm planning to tow it behind another vehicle cross-country on occasion and things should be tight up front after all that and some wheel bearings.

@metromiser - I would be very interested in your bra if nobody else claimed it...I'm worried about stone chips when towing my metro and it would probably be a great idea to have one...

I'm so stoked about my Metro...I love these cars!

Hacksaw
Old 07-03-2008, 01:47 AM   #76 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by metromizer View Post
My experience has been very consitant with what I have been reading on the forums with respect to advancing the lesser duration XFi cam or stock 1 liter cams.
So did you do the XFi/Economy Cam swap ? Superf1y has them with a 10+ degree cam gear VERY reasonably priced. Swapping to that cam/10+ degree gear is "supposed" to Net a 8 MPG improvement!

Also, I see no mention of a front air dam (below the bumper). I've read were some folks have used lawn/garden bed edging.

Anyone have pics of lawn edging used as an front air dam ?
Old 07-03-2008, 02:05 AM   #77 (permalink)
EcoModding Minded

Lunar Mist - '02 Toyota Tacoma SR5
90 day: 25.31 mpg (US)

Silver Streak - '08 Toyota Corolla S
90 day: 38.25 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to Chris D.
Dam Johnny, You're doin it right brother!

any chance when you get a minute that you could take a quick measurment
bumper to bumper so I can see if I can get a Metro to fit in behind my truck in the garage?

mucho appreciato'd man

*Chris

Old 07-03-2008, 09:59 AM   #78 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Wildfire - '96 Ford Bronco XL
90 day: 14.88 mpg (US)

Blackford - '96 Ford Bronco XLT
90 day: 20.26 mpg (US)

Y2k - '00 Honda Insight
Gen-1 Insights
Team Honda
90 day: 73.98 mpg (US)

Redford V10 - '01 Ford F250 Lariat
90 day: 15.64 mpg (US)

FireFly - '00 Honda Insight DX
90 day: 69.43 mpg (US)

LittleRed - '00 Honda Insight
I have an 8* and an economy cam in standby. Mike (Superf1y) didn't recommend the 10*/economy cam setup. My JDM engine has the older sprockets, and since I couldn't get the crank gear off teh JDM to swap everything, I can't use the 8*/economy cam just yet. Future rainy day weekend project.

I've been enjoying tips from Johnny here (nice dew), and Metrompg. I'm not going crazy with hypermiling to the point that I need professional help, but I really like it when I can get 60mpg one way commutes (anything over 55 is just "super").

Lately I have been playing with octanes. I'm on my second 91. Jury is still out...
Old 07-03-2008, 01:56 PM   #79 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99metro View Post
I'm not going crazy with hypermiling to the point that I need professional help,...
Some folks may be suffering from OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder). It would be way cheaper for them to seek medication and/or therapy than to keep modding there cars! I think most folks take modding as a hobby though! I hope they do anyways!
Old 07-03-2008, 01:58 PM   #80 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99metro View Post
Lately I have been playing with octanes. I'm on my second 91. Jury is still out...
If your engine isn't detonating/pinging then there's no need from more Octane.

Reply  Post New Thread