Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2011, 10:16 AM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

RaceJeep - '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee (ZJ) 5.9 Limited
90 day: 13.62 mpg (US)
^ I agree. A metro isn't, and was never meant to be, a tow vehicle. A small pickup or SUV would serve your needs far better.

Typical driving: Back in Rochester for school, driving is 60 - 70% city
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-05-2011, 12:52 PM   #22 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The green machine - '94 Geo Metro
Well I just need to find a 40/50 mpg tow vehicle?

So last night we were working on the GEO hauler. Came up with a few fixes for towing that sound promising. First one is the hauler from what we could find should weigh 650 to 750 lbs more than the tow rig or it is recommended that you install dually rear wheels. Makes since to me gives it more friction on the ground and stops the ass end from being pushed around in town around the sharp turns. I'm off to find a set of extra rims today and will start building a dually set of rims to test with.

Also bought a 4 cyl swift with a manual and I think will start with that. Better brakes and more HP right out of the hole. Be nice to have a small table for my PC and drink holders paper work etc. so were going to pull the passenger seat and install a nice table top on the seat slider. If were a bit short on power I'm going to add a two barrel carburetor. that should get us but if we need a smidgen more i have enough spare stuff around to turbo the 1 ton dually. Still looking for a some rear disc brakes.

For hauling the automatic Geo's I was going to go with a rimco electric transmission pump. But after reading up on the simple install I have decided since the car is dedicated to hauling I'm installing a power steering pump on the tow hauler and running lines to the rear of the car on quick disconnects, I'll hook them together at the rear bumper when not in use and they will just circulate the atf in the lines and the pump should last forever. can top it off if some spills right from under the hood like it was stock on the car. at the disconnects at the bumper I'll have to build a wand for a suction tube that will go in the dipstick tube so that the pump can draw the atf out of the transmission. When hauling with a rimco trans pump in your rv they have you take the pan off the trans and install a nipple to hook the line to. but since I'm just towing them back to my shop one time a wand in the dipstick tube will work out just fine. then I will a have to take off the trans cooler line that feeds back to the transmission at the radiator and hook up the other line off the hauler and put a rubber vacuum style cap with a clamp over the radiator trans cooler fitting so it doesn't drip and kill fish while I'm towing.
Its a day of hassle to get it set up i'm sure but to not have to take a Dolley and that extra weight sure makes it nice to just flat tow with my geo tow bar i built.
I'd pretty good towing now but i just want to make it bullet proof. I tow every where but on snow. but if i had all wheel drive geo I'd be there too.

I do have a ford to tow with but the savings with the geo and the people i buy and sell cars with it really gives me some extra advertising or name recognition when i show up and haul in or out a geo. Just last week i was dragging a Geo out from about 150 miles away and I got a few thumbs up from the import cruiser guys. But I am getting 43 mpg on the way to the car to be towed and 20 plus on the way back so i'm getting about 30 or better for the most part towing with my geo.
FYI you cant tow another geo with out upgrading the 3cyl to a 4cyl flywheel and clutch. But the 3cyl wont go up steep hills around town with out being able to hit the at full speed like you would on the free way. Also I have towed with a old warn out Nissan pick up and Toyota pick up that should have 100hp (worn out though) and they had more than enough to haul. so if i get this new swift in the 75 to 80 hp and its lighter than the trucks i think I'll be good.
What kind of a eccomodder site recommends a SUV for anything except a trade in.
Old 03-05-2011, 01:07 PM   #23 (permalink)
The PRC.

If you are towing a lot and towing Geos might I suggest a TDI.

You will get the same MPG, no issues towing a Metro (smaller) and large enough for paperwork etc.
Old 03-05-2011, 05:35 PM   #24 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I could do that, but where is the fun in doing some thing any one can do. What i need to do is find a battery for my EV geo that lets me drive 400 miles and weighs about 80lbs. i think the cure for cancer may be easier than that battery. I'm a geo guy its tough to just switch over. Reminds me of the time i was thinking about going out with this chubby chick. Just couldnt do it?
Old 03-05-2011, 05:37 PM   #25 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by comptiger5000 View Post
^ I agree. A metro isn't, and was never meant to be, a tow vehicle. A small pickup or SUV would serve your needs far better.
I see them pushing motor homes down the freeway all the time. I cant wait to be on a hill and have atruck next to me with a tow dolley and i have to drop the hammer and pass em. Lucky i have an in car camera mounted for just that moment, also so I can prove to the cop that i was doing 175mph not 75mph. com'on now.
Old 03-05-2011, 05:53 PM   #26 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts

Old 03-05-2011, 06:07 PM   #27 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

If I wasnt trying so hard to get good gas mileage I have a rx-7 engine that would fit nicely into a swift. be nice to know what rpm it would turn and caculate the fuel burn based on that to see what you would have before doing a conversion to find out that its fuel sucker. I hate gas stations more than cops.
Old 03-05-2011, 06:34 PM   #28 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Are you trolling or what?

Old 03-05-2011, 06:50 PM   #29 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Trolling? talkin about tow'in. asking questions and enjoying how no one actaully answers the question you asked. But gives advice on every thing but. seems to me that if we were trollingh it would be in some thick stuff and high waters would be in order. Be nice to Be out fishing right now, but i'm working away on my EV metro and trying to figure out how to post videos right to this thread or if you have to youtube it then link it.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:31 PM   #30 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
How about the swift GT engine with a turbo and the cam reground the same as the XFI engine? that way you would have a small 4 cylinder engine that will bolt right in with alot of low end torque and a bit of boost for when you need to make it up a big hill.
I think there is also alot to be said for a tuned intake based off the stock throttle body because I agree, from what I've read the independent throttle bodies mostly help with high revs.
I also don't see the point in disk brakes, they are less likely to lock up and they have less over all stopping power along with being a costly swap, also a single wider tire offers less rolling resistance then a set of dual rear wheels/tires, the draw back of the wide tire is that it's less stable so it does not handle as well, the increased mileage is why you see some semi's with single wide rear wheels/tires and single wide trailer tires, so a set of 175 or 185 wide rear tires would work for you and even be available as a low rolling resistance tire without the work of making hubs for dual wheels and because you will have very little weight on the rear of the car the handling should not be an issue.

Reply  Post New Thread