Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2014, 04:17 PM   #131 (permalink)
Growin a stash

I can only imagine how complicated things are getting under your hood...

2024 Chevy Bolt

Previous:
2015 Nissan Leaf S, 164 mpge
The Following User Says Thank You to ME_Andy For This Useful Post:
pgfpro (12-14-2014)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-14-2014, 08:06 PM   #132 (permalink)
In Lean Burn Mode

MisFit Talon - '91 Eagle Talon TSi
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 39.03 mpg (US)

Warlock - '71 Chevy Camaro

Fe Eclipse - '97 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ME_Andy View Post
I can only imagine how complicated things are getting under your hood...
Its starting to get pretty crazy. lol

There's so much piping and lines everywhere it resembles a Dr Seuss Whoville vehicle.

Old 01-02-2015, 06:37 PM   #133 (permalink)
In Lean Burn Mode

Team Turbocharged!

Aero Help!!!

I'm considering making some front and side ground affects. Kinda like this one.

My car is going to be pretty fast and I could use the extra down force in the 1/4 mile and hill climbs. My question is how bad would this type of ground affects hurt my FE???

Old 01-02-2015, 06:40 PM   #134 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

MC SBX - '95 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS
Last 3: 29.75 mpg (US)
better down than up.

those don't look like they would add significant downforce, but they look like they would remove some potential for upforce.
Old 01-02-2015, 06:50 PM   #135 (permalink)
In Lean Burn Mode

Team Turbocharged!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertISaar View Post
better down than up.

those don't look like they would add significant downforce, but they look like they would remove some potential for upforce.
Thanks for the reply. I see what your saying. Right now the car is pretty stable at 140 mph but this year it should be around 150+ mph. The car has adjustable coil overs so it will be right at the same ride height as the above picture. There is a couple areas on the Hill Climb road where there's a pretty strong side wind.

Old 01-03-2015, 05:56 PM   #136 (permalink)
naturalextraction

Hey Amigo...I hadn't seen this thread! Now what you sent me makes a bit more sense. You most certainly have increased your overall adiabatic efficiency with obvious recapture of heat energy to do a bit more work. Any idea what your overall efficiency gain has been realizing the engine and drive train losses? Any target number your looking for goal wise?
This is a pretty cool project and also realize why you are wanting to utilize waste solvent. I have a bunch too along with waste oils I'm using for heat right now.

Also if this helps your thinking any, more of a response to a few pages back, my Proto bikes turbo is designed to produce positive pressure just above 1k in rpm under load. This was necessary for what I'm doing. Thus why I had to hybrid the turbo.

Also I have Variable Valve Oil Restrictors that I make (inline mostly with both ends tapped npt 1/8 for any AN fitting) and have available at some local speed shops here. I'd be happy to send you one on me...It helps with dialing in flow rate with different oil viscosity, different operating and ambient temperatures and you can dial in how many ml exactly to keep oil resistance down yet keep the unit well lubed during operations. especially at WOT. My IHI on the SV has the flow rate set at 75ml per min and has worked well for over 30K miles. I use a 10/40 in winter and 10/50 in summer. btw, just tried out my extremely difficult to cut titanium journal bushing, it's pretty equivalent to ball bearing performance!

Way interesting thread ya got here!!

Last edited by naturalextraction; 01-03-2015 at 06:17 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to naturalextraction For This Useful Post:
pgfpro (01-03-2015)
Old 01-03-2015, 08:21 PM   #137 (permalink)
In Lean Burn Mode

Team Turbocharged!

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturalextraction View Post
Hey Amigo...I hadn't seen this thread! Now what you sent me makes a bit more sense. You most certainly have increased your overall adiabatic efficiency with obvious recapture of heat energy to do a bit more work. Any idea what your overall efficiency gain has been realizing the engine and drive train losses? Any target number your looking for goal wise?
This is a pretty cool project and also realize why you are wanting to utilize waste solvent. I have a bunch too along with waste oils I'm using for heat right now.

Also if this helps your thinking any, more of a response to a few pages back, my Proto bikes turbo is designed to produce positive pressure just above 1k in rpm under load. This was necessary for what I'm doing. Thus why I had to hybrid the turbo.

Also I have Variable Valve Oil Restrictors that I make (inline mostly with both ends tapped npt 1/8 for any AN fitting) and have available at some local speed shops here. I'd be happy to send you one on me...It helps with dialing in flow rate with different oil viscosity, different operating and ambient temperatures and you can dial in how many ml exactly to keep oil resistance down yet keep the unit well lubed during operations. especially at WOT. My IHI on the SV has the flow rate set at 75ml per min and has worked well for over 30K miles. I use a 10/40 in winter and 10/50 in summer. btw, just tried out my extremely difficult to cut titanium journal bushing, it's pretty equivalent to ball bearing performance!

Way interesting thread ya got here!!
I haven't figure out what my efficiency gains are as of now? I know a stock Talon AWD, auto at 65 mph gets around 22mpg. So far I'm at 38mpg at 65 mph. My 65 mph goal is to get 40 mpg. Where I live, my work commutes you have to drive 65 or people will run you over. My other goal is to get 50mpg at 50 to 55mph. I'm pretty sure it will do it from last years testing.

This is one my main goals for the turbo compound system is to be in boost pretty much all the time off idle. So far its been working. Boost in combination with lean burn is great for efficiency. The most difficult part was tuning the light freeway load. If I had to back off the throttle all the way and get back into it it tends to hunt for fuel from the lean deceleration part of the map (injectors off). I think there isn't any residual fuel on the heads intake ports and runners from being in ultra lean burn. I could increase the decel part of the map but that would just be wasting fuel!! So last year I figure out by doing a light brake boost I could slow the car down for the traffic and keep from dealing with this strange phenomenon, but I then eventually ran out of vacuum to run my brakes. So this year it has a electric vacuum system.
Vacumm pump in the middle of the pic

That would be awesome!!! Much appreciated!!!

Last edited by pgfpro; 01-05-2015 at 09:49 AM..
Old 01-03-2015, 09:45 PM   #138 (permalink)
naturalextraction

Send me an email with your mailing address and I will send one out to you post haste! I actually don't have a picture of one on this computer but you can go to my turbo sight or this video and see what your getting should ya be curious.
Yea, that's an interesting problem and one of the issues with my proto bike and pretty much why I had to go to a on the fly pwm adjustment capability. It hunts like crazy and drops power. I don't have brake booster of course but the lite surging or hunting I couldn't seem to figure away to maintain consistency. Still is an issue. With on the fly I still can get some data for how lean under what conditions before drop outs. I'm still dinkin with all that.

Last edited by naturalextraction; 01-03-2015 at 10:03 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to naturalextraction For This Useful Post:
pgfpro (01-03-2015)
Old 01-04-2015, 01:42 AM   #139 (permalink)
In Lean Burn Mode

Team Turbocharged!

PM sent.

Thanks again!!!

Old 02-03-2015, 07:17 PM   #140 (permalink)
In Lean Burn Mode

Team Turbocharged!

Update:

Finalized the Turbo Box design.

Air ducts under the car will pick up air and direct it to the back of the car between the tail lights in a low pressure area. The intercooler is the beige square color box and the turbo is the red circle. The inter-cooler will have its own separate box inside the bigger box. The turbo will feed air from the quarter vents through duct work.

I'm also going to have a small fan at the back of the box during low speed and stops to make sure no fumes get into the drivers area to promote air flow and cooling.

This is a cardboard mock-up the finish material will be aluminum.

I check to make sure there will be no blind spots while sitting in the drivers seat, Looking in the rear view mirror you can't even see the box.

EDIT:
Made a change and tapered the back of the box.

Last edited by pgfpro; 02-03-2015 at 10:57 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to pgfpro For This Useful Post:
jedi_sol (02-04-2015)
Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
bio fuel, lean burn, turbo compound