Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2008, 08:07 AM   #31 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Daily Driver - '02 Pontiac Grand Prix SE
90 day: 18.45 mpg (US)
I've seen this idea before, never got far though. I think it has good merits, simple design, easy to implement. But I don't worry about the belt. If they can make a belt designed to handle 250hp (CVT on Audi's) then the 5hp assist you want should be fine. I'll even bet you could put a 3-5hp motor on there, and get a high quality stock AC belt to match. Simple, no trying to find the right size or mess with the crank pulley (v-belt vs. ribbed).

@ iHero: Looks like your friend bolted a pulley to the crank pulley, since its a serpentine belt setup stock. Curious if there are detailed pictures of that install.

Another random thought I haven't read above: rpms. what range do you want it to be active, the whole engine's range or just a small range? A small range makes for a cheaper motor and you can use pulley sizes to adjust the TQ to the ICE.

hm. Now I want to do this on my GP, just go find the supercharged 3.8 pulley parts and use them.

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-12-2008, 10:42 AM   #32 (permalink)
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 29.5 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 50.48 mpg (US)
Speaking to powered trailers:
EV Pusher Trailer

This guy has a long journal describing his experience with a homebrew pusher - I especially love how his first iteration used a manual (!) whose clutch was operated by a remote-controlled dealie powered by a cordless drill.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:45 PM   #33 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by almightybmw View Post
I've seen this idea before, never got far though. I think it has good merits, simple design, easy to implement. But I don't worry about the belt. If they can make a belt designed to handle 250hp (CVT on Audi's) then the 5hp assist you want should be fine. I'll even bet you could put a 3-5hp motor on there, and get a high quality stock AC belt to match. Simple, no trying to find the right size or mess with the crank pulley (v-belt vs. ribbed).

@ iHero: Looks like your friend bolted a pulley to the crank pulley, since its a serpentine belt setup stock. Curious if there are detailed pictures of that install.

Another random thought I haven't read above: rpms. what range do you want it to be active, the whole engine's range or just a small range? A small range makes for a cheaper motor and you can use pulley sizes to adjust the TQ to the ICE.

hm. Now I want to do this on my GP, just go find the supercharged 3.8 pulley parts and use them.

I've got more pics of Hoff's HYBRAD -- how do I post them ?

Yes -- I think belts are strong enough/ won't slip for a 5 HP motor -- but I'd prefer a version with grooves. But will a bigger motor fit under the hood -- or do you need a scoop/buldge in your hood?

Regarding RPMs -- this is a crucial issue whether you are building an internal or external hybrid adapter. Are you going to want to vary the RPM? then you'll need an expensive controller and likely a feedback loop like cruise control / PID controller. If you are going to just help from a stop --then you'll need the motor to kick off at a certain RPM.

My buddy picked his highway cruising RPM and used a single control voltage to power the motor. He didn't spend much time experimenting with different pulley sizes to maximize MPG.

Last edited by iHero; 08-13-2008 at 05:54 AM..
Reply  Post New Thread