Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > The Unicorn Corral
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2009, 03:29 PM   #191 (permalink)
Grrr :-)

Cherokee - '88 Jeep Cherokee
90 day: 19.44 mpg (US)

Ryo-Ohki - '94 Geo Metro Xfi
90 day: 50.15 mpg (US)

Vger 2 - '00 Plymouth Grand Voyager SE

Ninja - '89 Geo Tracker
90 day: 30.27 mpg (US)
Whats an otto cycle engine? Energy balance is irrelevant. entropy makes it pretty clear its always lossy whether its gasoline or hydrogen. To say otherwise only reveals cluelessness in basic science (NOT saying your saying that just saying) I can only produce hydrogen one way on my budget and its one of the least efficient means. Electrolysis. Thankfully the only value that matters ie COST of fuel per mile is very low. IE electricity is dirt cheap compared to any other fuel by many orders of magnitudes.

I don't have the means to create scientific data or process it. I don't even know if it will work. on paper it SHOULD but I do not know if the gains will exceed the cost of electricity to recharge the batteries to run the generator. its cheap enough to try so I hope one day to actually try it and see what happens. If nothing else it will be fun to do and I can come up with other creative uses for a hydrogen supply :-)

Yup. I need to lose a total of 193.8 pounds minimum. (to sky dive I need to be under 225 I am a big critter but I am pretty sure 225 is doable)

So far I have lost 41.8 pounds since september 18th. I am going strong losing on average 1 pound per day (with a few stalls and what not inbetween)

My sister started at 331 and is currently down to 315.

I hope to be under 225 before next summer. I am one bull headed mother F*&(*#&$ especially now that I have a plan that is working.

My issue started with college. I was around 200-225 pounds no fat on me. I ate like a horse I mean 3000-4000 calorie meals and I had an activity level to support such a diet.

When I went to college I continued to grow (another 2-3 inches) but my activity level went to near ZERO compared to what it was (thanks computers and always on internet) but I continued to eat like I had always eaten for all my life.

I exploded. gained some 125 pounds in less than 9 months and got all the stretch marks to show for that. I gained another 50 pounds or so before I "started" to get things under control.

My work life after that made fast food a normal occurrence for me. I spent 3-4 hours DRIVING daily so I tended to eat on the go. I stopped gaining but also was not losing.

Tried every diet none work NONE sustain. Finally I said screw them all and made my own diet. I treated it like I treat most problems. Like a math problem. 1 pound is 3500 calories. PERIOD. you eat 3500 more than you burn you are 1 pound heavier. you burn 3500 more than you need and you are 1 pound lighter.

so I designed my own on the fly low calorie diet. I started lowing my calorie intake starting at 1500. I got down to 800-900 a day and stopped for fear of mal nutrition.

Now I stick to around 800 a day or less but I compensate for this by eating MASSIVE quantities of low calorie nutrient rich foods. Any non starchy veggie I can get my hands on especially Tomato's and Spinach. I can eat an entire tomato and its only 30 calories. I can eat and ENTIRE BAG of spinach (yumm yumm YUMMM!!) cooked up and its less than 35 calories. toss in some fish chicken or turkey hear and there to keep boredom away.

I made a plate of food this morning that was TOWERING. I mean it was so big I was even surprised and no way in hell was I going to finish it and I can chow down. A pint of Chicken Chop suey. He says its 94 calories I don't believe it so I count it as 200 just to be safe. half a bag of spinach and whole onion and a mess or portobella mushrooms and a little bit of egg beaters to mix in. it had to be 2 pounds of food at least. 350 calories and I did not finish. have about 25% of it for later.

I am going to murder this fat if its the last thing I do. I am SICK AND TIRED of being fat.

I am a very bright fellow and its murder to find bright colored clothing in my size (58inch waist 62 inch chest) I am so fat I almost got tits for god sake.

as of september 18th that changes. and my metro will love me for it too :-) plus I should gain maybe 1mpg out of it. WELL worth it. Thats a FREE $46 in my pocket every year once I get rid of the weight. Yeah I will take that.

Ironic? No not even a little bit. Disgusting and massively wasteful? YES.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-07-2009, 03:45 PM   #192 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Wouldn't it be nice if it were possible to convert the fat into hydrogen or electricity? I'm sure there's a good supply of it in America.

Allie Moore and I have a combined carbon footprint much smaller than that of one average American...
Old 11-07-2009, 03:49 PM   #193 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

sukisuki - '00 Suzuki Grand Vitara 4wd
90 day: 21.88 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
Was this thread about burning hydrogen in an Otto cycle engine? And is anyone going to post the scientific data associated with burning hydrogen as a fuel,and the complete energy balance to produce the hydrogen utilizing various technologies?
Bye the way,I've got Zanax if anyone needs one.
There isn't any change in the chemical energy. The energy is there in the gasoline but not used since you have too little time to burn it.
Adding hydrogen (even if small quantities as 1-2 lpm that you can produce with just 10 A -> 130W) increases the flame speed and it allows more fuel to transfer heat to air in the time allowed to produce work (from the spark to the moment where the cilinder speed is faster than the flame front.
The energy balance is almost the same but more heat is transferred rather than been expelled and finish burning in the cat or get recycled.

Just a little bit. Would you dring some water with 1ppm of arsenic? Consider that the maximum quantity allowed in drinking water is 3-20 ug/l...

Some results are summarized in here (sorry for spamming):
http://www.breathablefuel.com/hhopaper.rtf
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tangomar For This Useful Post:
aerohead (11-11-2009), kevman (05-30-2012)
Old 11-07-2009, 05:07 PM   #194 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiHaoMike View Post
Wouldn't it be nice if it were possible to convert the fat into hydrogen or electricity? I'm sure there's a good supply of it in America.
It's feasible to get liquid fuel from fat cells... by weight, very little of the fat cells is a solid material, rather it can be "cooked down" or rendered into oils which could then be converted to bio-fuels. It's sad to think how much of this potential fuel is wasted every time a liposuction patient loses 300 lbs of pure fat... 80% of the fat is liquid, about half of the liquid could be a refined fuel, so 40% of the 300 lbs, or ~120 lbs of oil produced for fuel.

Diesel fuels weigh about 8 lbs per gallon, so you could likely get a full tank of fuel from one sedentary lifestyle's drain on insurance plans.

Old 11-07-2009, 05:30 PM   #195 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
A lipo doc got in trouble recently for using human fat for bio-fuel...

Fill 'Er Up With Human Fat - Forbes.com

LOL

The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Lee For This Useful Post:
Christ (11-07-2009)
Old 11-07-2009, 07:19 PM   #196 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
A lipo doc got in trouble recently for using human fat for bio-fuel...

Fill 'Er Up With Human Fat - Forbes.com

LOL
Only you, Frank. Where do you come up with this stuff? LOL.

Guess I'll read up and see how far off my numbers were...

Old 11-07-2009, 07:28 PM   #197 (permalink)

Well, they got one thing wrong... it's not the tryglycerides that are burning... glycerine is a by product of bio-fuels. You make soap with it. It could be burned, but requires temperatures in excess of those you'd find in a combustion engine (normally) to burn cleanly, hence the reason SVO/WVO are not technically legal for use as fuels. You're doing more harm than good by burning them, IMO.

However, I'd like to say that I stand behind the use of medical waste (and all other forms of waste) to generate power/fuel of some kind. Why shouldn't we? What's so much worse about "running your ass off" in a fuel tank/combustion engine than just letting it decompose into mush?! ...one of the commenters had it right, saying that: "_ Look around, without a doubt, one of the things we do best is get fat...", a sad-but-true scenario in the increasingly sedentary lifestyles of many Americans, and even other countries today.

In fact, by not using the excess for something, we're further endorsing the excess waste that goes on in this country. At least if we use the fat for something, we're getting back something from someone else's wasteful lifestyle.

There is mention in that article that one gallon of grease can get you ~one gallon of fuel, which is partly correct after conversion takes place, because of the methanol fuel that is added to the oil and the glycerine that is removed. That assumption, however, makes my earlier math incorrect, because there is more than 40% of the total content of the rendered fat that gets used as fuel.

Recalculating -

80% of the fat can be safely converted to grease by rendering.
400 lbs of fat would give 360 lbs of grease, which, at 8 lbs per gallon, makes 40 gallon of fuel (approx).

Old 11-07-2009, 07:43 PM   #198 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
Only you, Frank. Where do you come up with this stuff?
I've got the memory of a...

of a...

what's that animal?

Old 11-07-2009, 07:44 PM   #199 (permalink)

Heffalump.

Old 11-07-2009, 07:48 PM   #200 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo