Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2012, 11:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
New member, saying hi

Hi there!

I wanted to do this right and introduce myself here. A few forums I have been on have not been very important, and are with groups of people who are not very mature, or feel that the Internet does not deserve any etiquette.

Since I have been reviewing this site, I would like to contribute, and learn from your community.

About me: My career is in law enforcement, and I am currently driving a mid 1990's Ford E scort. She's a four speed automatic, and the EPA rating tops at 23mpg. With my basic knowledge and techniques, I stay in the high twenty's, my best tank being over 30 mpg. With my current schedule, I'm not able to do everything I can, such as fueling at night, and driving conditions.

What I am proud of, is that my city mileage is often better than estimated highway mileage when I Drive a vehicle. This is also true with my E scort, but that's because I won't break 2000rpms, and I can only hit 47mph in top gear lol.

My next vehicle, approximately 46 days from now, is the 2013 Mustang. I am available for a plan, an in house Ford discount. This is 305 horsepower, 280 ft pounds of torque in low rpm, and up to 31 miles per gallon. This all for under 20k.

I completely understand that this not the most fuel efficient vehicle, but I have been searching for years, and this is the perfect vehicle for me. Often people don't keep in mind I can be killed any day, and life is over for me. So having the possibility for more aggressive driving is a huge positive, and this always give me the chance to take the vehicle and waste some fuel sometimes.

Also, I feel better because the longevity of this vehicle, and actual damage to the planet is minimal when considering the use of rare metals and chemicals, found in vehicles like the Prius and Volt.

As of right now, I have a few definite modifications for the vehicle. I will be installing a cold air intake, the brand is not important, rather the benefits for fuel economy, reliability, price, and overall quality. Further, two air spinners for the air intake. I am focused on one brand, but not fully decided, it just appears to be the most fuel efficient and effective. I will be doing wheel covers, and I am considering doing carbon fibre replacements.

Some ideas I am considering are;
Filling gaps in panels, including the hood
Blocking front grill other than intake
Editing computer for less fuel use
Front air splitter
Front air dam
Rear defuser
Concealing under body
Removing interior components

A lot of this depends on my warranty, as I am doing an extended plan that will cover me completely for six years, the length of my loan.

A few modifications that don't have much of a physical, aerodynamic purpose, are the new dial gauge, used to view the tackometer with less movement of my eyes from road to gauge cluster, a system like what is offered on the site to calculate fuel economy, and a gated shift cover.

My ultimate goal is to hit 45 mpg in the Mustang, and average 35 to 40 in the city.

I'm very excited to hear from everyone, and look forward to getting involved on the site. I honestly appreciate any and all input anyone may have.

UltArc

Last edited by UltArc; 04-28-2012 at 11:48 AM.. Reason: My input device decided to change a lot of what I tried to type out.
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-29-2012, 06:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Welcome to ecomodder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
With my basic knowledge and techniques, I stay in the high twenty's, my best tank being over 30 mpg. With my current schedule, I'm not able to do everything I can, such as fueling at night, and driving conditions.
Not all tips will work for everyone, nor all the time.
Pick what tips you could easily do, when those become new habits, pick some more items from the list of hypermiling tips.

I regularly go over the list, and see what more I can / am prepared to do.

Over time, you'll find that even when you're driving "normally" instead of hypermiling, you'll still use less fuel than when driving "normally" before.

Quote:
What I am proud of, is that my city mileage is often better than estimated highway mileage when I Drive a vehicle.
The low speeds and short accelerations can compensate for the more stop & go nature of city driving.

With a warm engine, my remaining range estimate no longer drops like a stone in city driving either
It's all due to how one drives the vehicle.

Quote:
My next vehicle, approximately 46 days from now, is the 2013 Mustang. I completely understand that this not the most fuel efficient vehicle
Apparently, when you want to, they can be driven with quite good mpg despite their sporty nature.

Quote:
Further, two air spinners for the air intake. I am focused on one brand, but not fully decided, it just appears to be the most fuel efficient and effective.
Has anyone made one that really works ?

We've seen some hefty claims about greatly improved fuel economy, but AFAIK nothing that's backed up with hard evidence over a suitable period of time.

Manufacturers already take serious care of how the air and fuel end up in the cilinder.
It's not something that'll easily be bettered by some simple means - if it was that easy, these parts would be on the car already

Quote:
Some ideas I am considering are;
Most if not all of this can be either done in a reversible way, or stealthy on the inside of the car so it doesn't plainly show.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by euromodder View Post
Welcome to ecomodder.

Not all tips will work for everyone, nor all the time.
Pick what tips you could easily do, when those become new habits, pick some more items from the list of hypermiling tips.

I regularly go over the list, and see what more I can / am prepared to do.

Over time, you'll find that even when you're driving "normally" instead of hypermiling, you'll still use less fuel than when driving "normally" before.

The low speeds and short accelerations can compensate for the more stop & go nature of city driving.

With a warm engine, my remaining range estimate no longer drops like a stone in city driving either
It's all due to how one drives the vehicle.

Apparently, when you want to, they can be driven with quite good mpg despite their sporty nature.

Has anyone made one that really works ?

We've seen some hefty claims about greatly improved fuel economy, but AFAIK nothing that's backed up with hard evidence over a suitable period of time.

Manufacturers already take serious care of how the air and fuel end up in the cilinder.
It's not something that'll easily be bettered by some simple means - if it was that easy, these parts would be on the car already

Most if not all of this can be either done in a reversible way, or stealthy on the inside of the car so it doesn't plainly show.

A lot of my adaptations will be easily visible outside. I'd rather not my vehicle look like it's modified or messed with, but since its tasteful, it sholdn't be too bad. If I use a difuser, that will be visible, also an air dam/splitter. Mirror changes, too. My biggest concern is the filling of gaps in panels.

I desire to fill them, and I've rad silicone works, but I am concerned about that whole process. Though this is my purpose for joining, to learn from everyone here.

As for air spinners, I completely respect andundestand your point. Every part is valid, but I stil have hope. My reason for not mentioning a brand is that I am not set on one, nor do I have any experience of it working. And I planned to research here, and researd it accordingly on my list-in expense order.

I am a fan of your vehicles, I very much like the Volvo line. I do prefer the cross country line, but if one doesn't have a real need for all wheel drive, then it is just a waste of fuel.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:03 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Welcome! If you are pretty much be a one vehicle person, it sounds like your choice of that particular Mustang will be a have your cake, and eat it too.

I recommend that you immediately start asking questions in a different group than the intro section.

I'm sure that there will be several people interested in your exact upcoming car.

To what extent, or look, do you think you may be going toward concerning your mirrors?

Do you live where heated mirrors may also be quite needful?
06 Chev MonteC JG#24tribute car 30mpg 00 Honda Insight 63MPG 98 Buick Park Ave3.8 33MPG 89 Toyota Corolla wag 53MPG so far 81 VW Rabbit diesel pu 50MPG+ 80 Mercedes 240D stick 30-ish 90 vette 6-speed,29ish 07 Honda ST1300 55MPG 83 Honda 650 GL 64MPG 19 Suzuki dr200 88MPG23 HondaGrom?+Tow K10D Sub 26mpg NEVER,NEVER GIVE UP!
PUMP THOSE TIRES UP!
DRIVE IN YOUR SOCKS FOR SENSITIVITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SLOW DOWN AND SMOOTH UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![SIGPIC]
Old 05-01-2012, 07:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrybuck View Post
Welcome! If you are pretty much be a one vehicle person, it sounds like your choice of that particular Mustang will be a have your cake, and eat it too.

I recommend that you immediately start asking questions in a different group than the intro section.

I'm sure that there will be several people interested in your exact upcoming car.

To what extent, or look, do you think you may be going toward concerning your mirrors?

Do you live where heated mirrors may also be quite needful?
Look wise, I have no real interest. I was looking for the most efficeint design, but most of the after market parts are just for how, and it appears that they have no significance by way of function.

I do live in the north east, but heated mirrors won't matter to me. I'll be keeping it covered, if it's not in the garage.

I believe my cda is roughly .35. There are nomreal numbers, but that's what I got after a statement from Ford based off of the last model. I have been checking out the forums to expand my idea list. The only other idea I didn't mention was the wind shifters for the tires, as in extending the wheel arches down more.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:51 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Canyon - '07 GMC Canyon 2wd regular cab
90 day: 24.95 mpg (US)
Welcome UltArc.

Please don't feel any need to justify your purchase. It's entirely sensible that you're choosing a vehicle that fits the needs of your career.

I suspect that you'll be pleased at how that vehicle's strong low end will enable nice early shifts around town. My mom's V6 SS Impala climbs hills at well under 2k - no problem. So that extra power ought to help you hold high gear pretty long.

Sounds like you're on the right track - keep us posted.

Too bad you had negative experiences with users on other forums. Hope EM is different for you.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:31 AM   #7 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodak View Post
Welcome UltArc.

Please don't feel any need to justify your purchase. It's entirely sensible that you're choosing a vehicle that fits the needs of your career.

I suspect that you'll be pleased at how that vehicle's strong low end will enable nice early shifts around town. My mom's V6 SS Impala climbs hills at well under 2k - no problem. So that extra power ought to help you hold high gear pretty long.

Sounds like you're on the right track - keep us posted.

Too bad you had negative experiences with users on other forums. Hope EM is different for you.
Will do. I still have a while before I even make the purchase. But I can't wait to pull that front pumper off and fill in those gaps. I've read it can take 500 to 2000 miles before the enine is broken in, so we'll have to wait a while before I am at peak performance.

That's nice with the SS. The torque is one of the main reasons I am getting it, I don't expect I'll shift from 1st more than five times a year. Most of my friends in much weaker vehicles, 2002 Hyundai sedan, and Mazda 3 almost always start in 2nd gear, and I'd expect the torques to be way lower than 280ft lb lol

In the next two months Implan on becoming VERY active on here and fuelly.com.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:09 AM   #8 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

UPDATE:

So it's been quite the turn of events for me. At first, I thought I would be extending my estimate for my new vehicle. But then a family member drove my vehicle, and actually took it from me, and gave me theirs to drive because they deemed in unsafe to be driven!

Well, I now behold a piece of great beauty. My 2012 Mustang Base. For <261 per month, I have a brand new vehicle fully covered by extended warranty that does not include brakes or clutch. That's it. Insurance is 93 per month, I haven't seen my six month quote yet, but it should be cheaper.

This may seem expensive, but in my eyes, it's the smartest vehicular decision for someone who wants fun, efficiency, and doesn't hang out with more than three people at a time lol

My first tank supposedly averaged 24 miles per gallon(Ford computer), but it actually was 28.43(pen & paper). I think it is pretty good for all city, the engine having five miles on it, and chirping the tires into second a few times.

I had gotten down to three quarters of a tank left, but because of my paint being screwed up, I took my vehicle in to be serviced. I should have it back soon, but my tank will be refilled, and I will have to start over again I never thought I would complain about free fuel!

And I'm sure the technicians won't be able to keep my 31+ mpg city, especially in a toy THEY don't have to worry about.

At the moment, I am waiting for my Ford GT front end to come in. Upon arrival, I am making the blocks to fill it in, and then she is going on. I am also replacing the V6 rear pony with the GT badge, and although it will be hurtful, I AM putting a badge on the sides. 3.7, as having a GT grill, front end, and rear end, seems like fraud if I'm not partially honest...

But the GT front end has a lower drag co, the blocks will help, and when I get her back from the dealer, I am clear taping the wheels. My next focus is on the gaps, followed by tire spats, followed by belly pan.

Does anyone have anything to say on the gaps? I liked the 3M weather stripping, but does anyone else have a more cosmetic friendly still efficient technique? Also, should I be posting somewhere else, or keep hitting up my intro thread? Since I am not on here as often as I'd like, I often fall behind.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:30 AM   #9 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

I didn't want to put this in mods yet, but on the coming wednesday, the Mustang is getting a complete re work. She will be a completely different beast. I am going to have research how to post images. It will still look obsiously like a Mustang, but she will be very different.

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:47 AM   #10 (permalink)
TDI Vanagon

I've always stepped back and scratched my head about the thoughts or use of a "Cold Air Intake." What makes it a "Cold Air" intake? All that I have ever seen are located inside the engine bay sucking in "HOT" air~! Also, as I understand, they breath easier because they filter less, and are "oiled" for fitlering. How does the oil affect performance of the MAF? Seems to me that most OE air fitlering systems are more than adequate.

I like your choice. I always wanted to own a Mustang. Back in the late 60s, a good friend of mine owned a 1967 289 High Performance Mustang. It was awesome! He knows where that Mustang is today...........North Carolina in a collection~!

Good luck with your mods. And, thank you for your service~!

Reply  Post New Thread