Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2015, 04:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

newbie in alachua, FL

hi all

i've just acquired a 2012 honda fit auto, which i plan to use for uber. i must say i'm not at all impressed with its fuel economy. the best figure i achieved on the freeway was 34, and a recent 300 mile roundtrip on freeway with two adults and two children with a/c on all the way holding a steady indicated 80 mph returned 30.9 mpg. on my morning paper route i've seen as low as 24. the combined average at the moment is a pitiful 26.

this is less than my 1996 honda civic 5-sp hatchback could achieve. considering the fit is 16 years younger with a smaller engine, variable valves, two plugs per cylinder, coil-on-plug ignition and who knows what else, this is unimpressive. there is something suspicious, since wikipedia lists the same car in UK, albeit with a 1400cc engine, getting 45 miles per US gallon.

it could be that US cars are set differently...probably to give more power at the expense of fuel consumption.

i plan some extensive mods.

1) first up is to install magnets on the fuel line and coolant hoses from magnetizerproducts

2) install fuel vaporizer agsvaporizermpg

3) install plasma ignition aquapulser

4) i'm also going to add bestline to the engine oil and fuel
bestlineproducts

5) i may try this acetone trick. youtube acetone in gas
i've found raceway sells ethanol-free fuel for 60 cents more per gal.

i'm keeping track of my mileage on fuelly

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-11-2015, 05:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Princess Carriage - '20 Ford Explorer Limited

Silver - '22 Ford Maverick Hybrid XLT w/tow pkg
Maverick Hybrids
90 day: 41.3 mpg (US)
Quote:
1) first up is to install magnets on the fuel line and coolant hoses from magnetizerproducts

2) install fuel vaporizer agsvaporizermpg

3) install plasma ignition aquapulser

4) i'm also going to add bestline to the engine oil and fuel
bestlineproducts

5) i may try this acetone trick. youtube acetone in gas
i've found raceway sells ethanol-free fuel for 60 cents more per gal.
Welcome!

Those are some wicked sick mods to try out first! If you actually go through with any of that insanity, please try them one at a time so if you find that one out of those five works, I'll know which one. If you find one that blows up your car and doesn't kill you in the process, I'd also like to know which one that was so I can avoid it. If we never hear from you again, I'll stay away from all five.

You might want to consider starting modding with something a little cheaper and less intrusive, such as increasing your tire pressure to max sidewall, and making some changes to your driving habits and see how that helps.
Then, I would take the magnets and use them to hold the "65 Efficiency Mods" to your fridge so you can get acquainted with them.

http://ecomodder.com/forum/fuel-econ...ifications.php

Good luck, whatever you decide to do!

BTW, I passed right by Alachua on my way to Live Oak this weekend, it's pretty nice up there.

Last edited by cowmeat; 06-12-2015 at 12:14 PM..
Old 06-11-2015, 09:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

thnx for your interest. i've done the usual things...tire pressure at 40 psi, clean air filter, etc. i'm not particularly interested in driving for max economy. i don't do jack rabbit starts or heavy braking anyway. driving at 60 mph in the slow lane on the freeway will cause tailgating by the trucks who want to drive at 80.

i want to see if in fact it is possible to modify these engines to get measurably improved consumption. i'm looking for at least 25%, not 1 or 2%.

incidentally, i found this on wikipedia re the european fuel economy cycle. evidently the manufacturers are allowed to make these mods

Disconnect the alternator, thus no energy is used to recharge the battery;
Use special lubricants that are not used in production cars, in order to reduce friction; this is interesting. i plan to use special lubricant myself-- bestline.
Turn off all electrical gadgets i.e. Air Con/Radio;
Adjust brakes or even disconnect them to reduce friction;
Tape up cracks between body panels and windows to reduce air resistance;
Remove Wing mirrors.[33]
Old 06-11-2015, 09:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lean Burn Cruiser!

Big Blazin' - '88 Chevrolet K5 Blazer Silverado
SUV
90 day: 14.97 mpg (US)

Chili - '00 Honda Insight
Gen-1 Insights
Team Honda
House of Tudor
Team Streamliner
90 day: 72.29 mpg (US)
Welcome to Ecomodder Charlo49! I'm siding with cowmeat here. If you look over the website, you will find that all 5 of the mods you listed will be in a place called the Unicorn Corral 99% of the time. There has not been any A-B-A testing done to confirm their advertised gains, so they are considered baloney until proved otherwise.

I would start with the 2 links below. These are the mods that actually work, and most of them are free or easy on the wallet FWIW, I have increased my fuel economy 35% with utilizing only some of the mods!

65+ Vehicle modifications for better fuel economy - EcoModder.com

100+ Hypermiling / ecodriving tips & tactics for better mpg - EcoModder.com

I would start with these 3:

-Adjust the nut (you!) behind the wheel
-ScanGauge, UltraGauge, Torque, etc.
-Coasting to stoplights and stop signs

Remember, thank a fellow EM'er for a helpful post!!!
I hypermile better in my cowboy boots

Past threads:
ZX2 modding thread
Ecomodder's Top 10: How they do it!
ZX2 Aerodynamics: Shooting for 0.15 Cd
ZX2 coast-down testing for Cd & Crr
Old 06-11-2015, 09:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

i found a wikipedia page on fuel saving devices. it is the usual hatchet job on these devices.

notice this one

Fuel & oil additives[edit]

Compounds sold for addition to the vehicle's fuel may include tin, magnesium and platinum. The claimed purpose of these is generally to improve the energy density of the fuel.[citation needed]

Additives for addition to the engine oil, sometimes marketed as "engine treatments", contain teflon, zinc, or chlorine compounds; none of these is appropriate or helpful when added to an engine's crankcase, and they can in fact damage the engine.[9] The US Federal Trade Commission has aggressively pursued marketers of oil additives falsely claimed to improve fuel economy.[10][11][12][13][14][15]

this is very interesting, when the other wikipedia page says the european manufacturers are allowed to use lubricants not available to the public specifically to improve fuel economy.

Last edited by charlo49; 06-11-2015 at 09:45 PM..
Old 06-11-2015, 09:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

There has not been any A-B-A testing done to confirm their advertised gains, so they are considered baloney until proved otherwise.

well that's the problem. somebody needs to test them properly. i guess that's going to be me.

we need to think a little about combustion physics. why does the Fit have two spark plugs per cylinder, coil-on-plug ignition, variable valves, high-pressure fuel injection, complex computer controls, and so forth? must be to get better combustion, surely? would you have dismissed these "mods" before they were introduced as "baloney"?

and why do these cars still have catalytic converters? it means there is still a lot of unburnt fuel leaving the engine. so clearly there is plenty room for improvement.
Old 06-12-2015, 07:34 AM   #7 (permalink)
What brake pedal?

Silver Streak-5M - '05 Toyota Corolla S
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.41 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlo49 View Post
there is something suspicious, since wikipedia lists the same car in UK, albeit with a 1400cc engine, getting 45 miles per US gallon.

it could be that US cars are set differently...probably to give more power at the expense of fuel consumption.
The European cycle is nowhere near a real world scenario for most drivers. I would pay zero attention to it.

Courtesy of "Green Car Reports"

"We're often asked why cars sold in Europe seem to be so much more efficient than those on sale in the U.S.

Typically, it's accompanied by the mention of some supposedly 80-mpg car sold in Europe--while the best U.S.-market vehicles barely crest the 50-mpg mark.

Now, Reuters highlights one of the main reasons for the discrepancy: Not only are European tests unrealistic, but automakers exploit loopholes in the testing, further blurring the lines between rated efficiency and real-world results."

Old 06-12-2015, 09:14 AM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Indeed. I've no doubt the european numbers are suspect. The answer is to use Fuelly where people post their actual mileage from all over the world.

But i did read somewhere that the air-fuel ratio is set to 14.7 in US but to 20 in europe. I don't think i believe this but it illustrates how much we don't know.
Old 06-12-2015, 10:48 AM   #9 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
You've been told before that:

1. High speeds in something with the aerodynamics of a Fit are bad for fuel economy.
2. An automatic transmission is not the best for fuel economy.
3. Using A/C is bad for fuel economy.
4. Loading bunches of weight in an underpowered car is bad for fuel economy.
5. Extreme stop and go, like in a paper route, is bad for fuel economy.

It's also been mentioned that a Civic with a manual is a very different animal than a Fit with an automatic and that bolt-on combustion efficiency tricks aren't going to improve highway mpg on an underpowered brick shaped car.

Coming here is your best first move because how you use the car is the single most important factor in how much gas you burn.

Getting good instrumentation like a ScanGauge or an UltraGauge is the first modification of any kind that you should make- you understand the importance of proper testing, and no test means anything without good data. Refusing to get real time mpg and gph along with real time trip mpg is deliberately deciding not to actually test things. They'll also show you how wasteful (or not) every single action you take is.

Once you figure out how the Fit is happiest being driven, worry about changing how it burns the gas. The most rewarding step will probably be in the ECU. That's really using the same principle as adjusting your driving style first- instead of trying to change combustion itself, change the way you use the power that you get from the combustion.

You can change the aero, but you're basically stuck with its size and shape. A tranny swap may be possible but probably isn't practical or desirable, and same goes for an engine swap, only more so. Modifying things inside your engine just doesn't make sense, especially on a daily driver. Playing with the ECU is the only place I can think of seeing a practical benefit from modifying the engine without a nicely staffed and equipped lab with a machine shop and a test track.

While you're waiting for your SG or UG to come in the mail, click on the Garage link at the top of this page. Search for Honda Fits, and you'll see what people here are getting. Then look at how & where they use the cars and how they've modified them to get those numbers.

Combustion physics in cars aren't the most efficient, but the're the least rewarding area to look for higher mileage. There's enough low hanging fruit on the Fit to feed a small town for a year, so looking at that one apple way up at the top of the tree isn't a very efficient way to... improve efficiency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fat Charlie For This Useful Post:
BabyDiesel (06-12-2015), digital rules (06-12-2015)
Old 06-12-2015, 07:15 PM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

yeah. i'm sure you're right. i appreciate you taking the time to expound on this. it is "an underpowered brick." maybe i'll just ditch it and get something else.

Reply  Post New Thread