Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2020, 09:48 PM   #521 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Turns out the Church was sitting on 40 empty churches? Prolly because they don't pay taxes on them?
Or they're closed for that social isolation thing. It's been in a couple papers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
...now it's time to pretend like they didn't know how serious the problem is.
Yet they knew enough to sell their stocks back in February.

That brings up the best headline from today:
China Concealed Extent of Virus Outbreak, U.S. Intelligence Says

Wasn't it right after one of our intelligence briefings in February that Sen. Burr and others dumped their stocks? Back when the Administration was in full "everything is AWESOME!!!" mode? Or rather, back when the Trump Administration... Concealed Extent of Virus Outbreak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

The Following User Says Thank You to Fat Charlie For This Useful Post:
freebeard (04-02-2020)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-01-2020, 10:55 PM   #522 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Yes all kinds of leaders messed up in the U.S. in all kinds of ways and China lied. One does not excuse or invalidate the other.

You guys are just going to ignore the legitimacy of Italy's numbers because it does not fit your agenda?

Anyway, I did not come here for petty squabbling, Linus gave an update on folding. The original team has been going for eight years straight and Linus's team has passed them. In fact, Linus's team has more collective processing power than the top seven supercomputers in the world.

Is that how we develop vaccines?

By the way, empty churches?! You realize that most public buildings are empty right now, right?

Old 04-01-2020, 11:20 PM   #523 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
You guys are just going to ignore the legitimacy of Italy's numbers because it does not fit your agenda?
Who is ignoring Italy's numbers? Everything you posted about Italy from that WSJ article can be said about the USA too. We don't know how many people have COVID 19 or how many have really died from it either. We do have the most confirmed cases in the world and today added 25,000 confirmed cases and another 1049 dead.

The difference is Italy put movement restrictions in place and is bending the curve down. The USA has not and we are still on the upward trend.

Italy locked down Northern Italy 21-February and the entire country on 9-March.

Old 04-02-2020, 12:05 AM   #524 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
You're right. Guess I should get out more.

Old 04-02-2020, 12:39 AM   #525 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
You are saying there are about as many deaths for unknown causes as for coronavirus? The dead are piling up faster than we can process them?

You have sources for those claims, right?

Old 04-02-2020, 02:02 AM   #526 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

spyder2 - '00 Toyota MR2 Spyder
Quote:
Yes all kinds of leaders messed up in the U.S. in all kinds of ways and China lied. One does not excuse or invalidate the other.

I'm actually arguing no one is lying about their stats, including China. It's a matter of testing capability, and the response should not be judged on numbers but rather timeliness and logistics because it was clear "herd immunity" is not an acceptable solution.

You can calculate a pretty tight band which everyone's numbers fall into given the case growth rate in the beginning (no motive to fake at that point), the testing coverage and criteria if coverage is low, and the lockdown measures. As an exercise, let's go through China:

Maybe as a preface, let's address the theories about cell phone subscribers and cremation urns: If 20 million people died, you need near 1 billion true infected, and that's clearly not the case. Users cancelled subscriptions during the lockdown and now they're signing back up. There are 1.6 billion mobile subscribers in China despite only having 1.4 billion people. Cremations stopped during the lockdown and you would expect around 20000 people to have died during the 2 months. China has lists of victim names published for each of the 3000+ officially counted deaths, and hospital capacity is public information.

Let's also address the "cover-up" at the beginning. Doctors first found SARS-like pneumonia late December, and reported it to the WHO on December 31st. The virus was discovered on January 7th and gene sequence was published January 12th. "No evidence of human to human transmission found" on January 15th is NOT a lie, finding scientific evidence is a rigorous process. 5 days later, January 20th, evidence of human to human transmission was found and reported. Not restricting large gatherings in that time was not prudent, but where is the lie?

It's said Wuhan started at 440 hospitalized cases in the hospital on January 23rd. In early February things were not looking good and the Chinese authorities were incentivized to report as bad a situation as possible to get help. That's why you see a jump of 17000 on one day, they added in non-RT-PCR tested (remember, the procedure was originally to do this 2x due to low test accuracy, which limits the number of tests) but CT scan diagnosed pneumonia cases to the count.

Between January 23rd and approximately February 5th? 7th?, temporary hospitals were under construction and being converted, which is when you'd expect some significant number of uncounted and untested deaths. In that time, the patient count was around 10000, and we now know the death rate for patients needing hospitalization comes out to around 20% without treatment. 2000 deaths slipping through in this time is a generous estimate IMO, since the sicker someone is the more likely they are to go to the hospital.

If there were 440 cases and it takes 14 days for most people to show symptoms, and you have a doubling every other day (this is a moderately generous estimate of the rate), that's 7 doublings => 128*440=56320 infected and symptomatic by January 23rd, including recoveries. Then there were subsequent infections within households/buildings, but those are bounded above by the number of original carriers (not everyone infects all the people they live with on average, since the sick ones get isolated) on January 23rd + medical personnel. At most a few thousand of these people left Wuhan, so a few dozen original carriers in large provinces infecting a few hundred more total is consistent.

I didn't check the source but I recall seeing "classified documents" suggest around 43000 asymptomatic people tested in Hubei (mostly in Wuhan obviously). That is consistent with the claims of something like 50% asymptomatic carriers. You can take the previous ~50k, call it 60 after lockdown, and multiply by 2 to count asymptomatic.

So at the end of all that pile of messy numbers, you can guess that at a 3-5% death rate in Wuhan, you're looking at something like 100k true cases vs 50k reported (aka tested while still infected and survived) and 3000-4000 deaths instead of the 2000 reported (aka tested or CT scanned before death).

If you believe the people who think 40k people died, you would need around 1 million infected. Think about that for a second. Strict quarantine at 440 sick, 1 million infected. NYC did a soft shut down with 1100 hospitalized, so NYC would have to have over 1 million infected too. Think about the implications of that.

I'm a betting man. I would bet that the true total number of infected in China is over 120k at 4:1 odds, over 150k at 1:1 odds, and under 250k at 2:1 odds. Subtract the 80k reported, and you get IMO an extremely reasonable number of missed cases that recovered without a test. I expect antibody testing to turn up somewhere around 100k more.

Last edited by serialk11r; 04-02-2020 at 02:20 AM..

Old 04-02-2020, 02:05 AM   #527 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,390 Times in 3,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Turns out the Church was sitting on 40 empty churches? Prolly because they don't pay taxes on them?

Err, this is just a coincinky-dink: duckduckgo.com/?q=bill+gates+depopulation
I know I've mentioned how unhelpful DDG links are. It's like LMGTFY except less precise.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Old 04-02-2020, 02:48 AM   #528 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
You are saying there are about as many deaths for unknown causes as for coronavirus? The dead are piling up faster than we can process them?

You have sources for those claims, right?
King County Washington State's Flu Report for Week 13:

ER visits for flu-like symptoms are above all of the last five years but nobody actually has the flu when tested. January and February 20% of people that present with flu-like symptoms have the flu. Last week it was 1%. I wonder what they have?

https://www.kingcounty.gov/depts/hea...influenza.aspx

If you haven't been following the news, NYC is currently stacking bodies in refrigerated trucks. 400 dead yesterday.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	King County Flu Report - Edited.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	27818  

Old 04-02-2020, 02:59 AM   #529 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,390 Times in 3,364 Posts
I understand the large number of deaths, but how bodies are stored doesn't matter to me. When I die, dispose of the matter however is easiest.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Old 04-02-2020, 04:20 AM   #530 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

A3 - '12 Audi A3
There was some 'news' that 21 million mobile phone subscriptions had gone silent in China in the last 3 months. Not quite sure what that means or even if the information is accurate.

But if it is is true, then they either cannot afford a mobile subscription anymore or they are no longer with us.

Closed Thread  Post New Thread