Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2020, 02:47 PM   #711 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 30.49 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,218 Times in 1,709 Posts
ISIS formed when President Obama pulled out of Iraq.

Everybody claimed that Saddam controlled the terrorists. He did. Until we invaded they were officially a terrorist state. President Obama pulled out and ISIS filled the vacuum.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-10-2020, 03:01 PM   #712 (permalink)
Not Doug

How are the reporters acting in bad faith? Following up with his previous statements?

As I recall, I watched a video a while ago where the republicans were the minority, and the democrats expected to negotiate. I believe that it was someone turned into a Newt that refused to budge, the democrats were shocked, and the republicans gained a great deal of power.

Newt did not get better.

It has already been seven years since the government shut down under President Obama?! (Was there only one?)

I did not remember which side refused to negotiate, just that the republicans were blamed, but the articles that I saw said that the democrats refused, the republicans were blamed, and were punished by gaining seats in congress.

Everyone said "Hey! They are not doing anything for us anyway! We are saving so much by not paying them!"

No, the shutdown was pretty expensive. President Obama never negotiated and got what he wanted.

One of various reasons that I do not like Governor Ducey is that our teachers threatened to strike over pay. He said that he would give them a raise and the teachers asked "What about all of the other staff?! Our aides, administrative staff, custodians, etc.?!"

He completely ignored them. The teachers went on strike for a week and spent the entire time in front of the Governor's office.

He still didn't talk to them.

For whatever reason there are plenty of scenarios where people expect to negotiate.

Governor Ducey should have negotiated and talked to the thousands of people camped out in front of his office.

Even Gingrich should have negotiated.

Sure, in these cases, each politician got what they wanted, but they just showed that they were a jerk. You are supposed to work with people with arbitrary ideological differences because you serve the people, not because one random idea is more important than the citizens.

The Following User Says Thank You to Xist For This Useful Post:
Fat Charlie (04-10-2020)
Old 04-10-2020, 03:04 PM   #713 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,607 Times in 7,088 Posts
In Episode 904, Scott Adams says the mass burials in New York are disavowed by the mayor (this makes it third-hand).

Also, he talks about how ventilators make it worse alluding to it being a blood problem instead of a lung problem. This what I posted about at Permalink #671.

I tried to talk to my doctor about this by phone for her opinion and the front desk put my request on the bottom of a pile. When I called to see why, she read back her note it said I wanted to 'educate' the doctor. I just wanted an opinion.

Old 04-10-2020, 03:08 PM   #714 (permalink)
Not Doug

Apple and Google are building a coronavirus tracking system into iOS and Android

Automakers continue working to produce ventilators. I saw a couple of articles about Teslas.

Linus created a server for his team using their computers to help find a cure. They are also helping 3d print face shields.

I have not followed the news nearly as much. I was supposed to spend the morning writing progress reports. Mom needed me to find her glucose monitor, but my last post took me far too long to write.

"I need to write my progress reports, but this will just take a moment!"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AngryRemoteKakapo-size_restricted.gif
Views:	65
Size:	343.9 KB
ID:	27862  

Old 04-10-2020, 03:09 PM   #715 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,069 Times in 1,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post

Everybody claimed that Saddam controlled the terrorists. He did. Until we invaded they were officially a terrorist state. President Obama pulled out and ISIS filled the vacuum.
We were only in Iraq because Bush wanted to finish what is father started and settle a family feud with Saddam. Any other president and The Iraq war wouldn’t have happened. McCain was the best candidate in 2000.

Old 04-10-2020, 03:12 PM   #716 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,607 Times in 7,088 Posts
Songbird McCain was put down like a dog for what he did to our country.

But we're getting off topic.

Old 04-10-2020, 04:04 PM   #717 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,393 Times in 3,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Charlie View Post
The main difference I saw back then was one of the candidates in 2000 could count and the other couldn't. I try not to vote for people who can't count. The big argument in that campaign was over the social security "surplus". One of them claimed that there was too much money going into SS and we needed to give everyone a payroll tax cut. The other one claimed that regardless of SS' cash flow that year, its long term picture wasn't good.
Our leaders are elected by short-term thinkers. People would rather have a bird in hand than 2 in the bush. We see essentially the same behavior from both political parties, spending future money for current political favors.

Had I been in charge of the US military, I'd have started delivering bombs to Sadam the moment he broke the surrender treaty by kicking weapons inspectors out. It would resume until he asked politely to take them back.

Quote:
How are the reporters acting in bad faith? Following up with his previous statements?

...For whatever reason there are plenty of scenarios where people expect to negotiate.

I don't follow news, so I only see the outrageous and entertaining clips of bad faith reporting. I'm sure there are good reporters, but their reputation is tarnished by being associated with other so-called reporters. Heck, even Trump said there were 2 or 3 good ones.

My contempt isn't for reporting in general, but for those fake reporters and the outlets that have a pattern of pushing an agenda rather than reporting the news. It's one thing to make mistakes from time to time and resolve them, but entirely another to be uninterested in seeking truth. That goes for all "news" with an agenda. People find comfort in their echo chambers though.

Regarding negotiation and government shutdowns; it seems most of the problems could be resolved if there was a law passed that said only a single issue gets attached to a bill, and the bill must fit on a 12pt font 8.5x11 sheet of paper. Cut out the slimey insertion of special interests and other waste, and just focus on the issue at hand. If someone wants their special interests, it can go in its own bill and be considered independently. No more "pass this bill so we can see what's in it".

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Old 04-10-2020, 04:50 PM   #718 (permalink)

Pope Pious the Prius - '13 Toyota Prius Two
Team Toyota
SUV
90 day: 51.62 mpg (US)

Tycho the Truck - '91 Toyota Pickup DLX 4WD
90 day: 22.22 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,802 Times in 939 Posts
Quote:

ISIS formed long before that.

Old 04-10-2020, 04:51 PM   #719 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
Quote:
The founders if ISIS were brought together in our prison camp outside Umm Qasr in 2004. By us. It's quite likely that I lit cigarettes for some of them. ISIS just didn't get really big until we left a power vacuum.

Our occupation was so messy that Iraq couldn't tolerate our troops not being subject to their laws. The Bush administration couldn't tolerate that, so the two sides agreed that the US would pull out when the SOFA expired in 2009. And so the guy who took office in 2009 is the one who cut and ran.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

Old 04-10-2020, 05:36 PM   #720 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Geo XL1 - '94 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Boat tails and more mods
90 day: 72.22 mpg (US)

Big, Bad & Flat - '01 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 21.13 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,353 Times in 711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
We were only in Iraq because Bush wanted to finish what is father started and settle a family feud with Saddam. Any other president and The Iraq war wouldn’t have happened. McCain was the best candidate in 2000.
Wrong.

>

The Following User Says Thank You to redneck For This Useful Post:
freebeard (04-10-2020)
Closed Thread  Post New Thread