Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2020, 05:49 PM   #721 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,446 Posts
Well we have seen the first real effects from COVID 19. My wife’s company just had an all staff meeting to announce the company’s COVID 19 “Stimulus” plan. It took an hour to say what could be said in 1 minute. No bonuses this year and company wide pay cuts on a sliding scale from 0-25%. People making less than $65K have no cut and it progressively increases from there. No slow down or reduction in hours. They didn’t let any contractors go and they keep their full pay.

How brain dead do you have to be to call a pay cut a “stimulus”?

We will be fine and a sliding scale makes a lot of sense. However nobody is happy that the company decided to cut employee pay before letting the contractors go.

The Following User Says Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
Xist (04-11-2020)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-10-2020, 06:10 PM   #722 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
I put my guys on a rotation of mostly half days a few weeks ago, but things got even slower. I had to lay one of them off today. I really hope Washington's unemployment boost hits soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

The Following User Says Thank You to Fat Charlie For This Useful Post:
Xist (04-11-2020)
Old 04-10-2020, 06:22 PM   #723 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,823 Times in 7,279 Posts

They called it brain cancer for his family's sake.

Old 04-10-2020, 06:40 PM   #724 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD

Pacifica Hybrid - '21 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
90 day: 85.85 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,459 Times in 3,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
Well we have seen the first real effects from COVID 19. My wife’s company just had an all staff meeting to announce the company’s COVID 19 “Stimulus” plan. It took an hour to say what could be said in 1 minute. No bonuses this year and company wide pay cuts on a sliding scale from 0-25%. People making less than $65K have no cut and it progressively increases from there. No slow down or reduction in hours. They didn’t let any contractors go and they keep their full pay.

We will be fine and a sliding scale makes a lot of sense. However nobody is happy that the company decided to cut employee pay before letting the contractors go.
Maybe the contractors are essential, or they have contracts that are expensive to break (or perhaps neither is true and they should have been cut)?

I think it was back in 2008 or 2009 the factory I worked at furloughed everyone for 2 weeks at 2 different times during the year rather than lay people off. Seemed the right thing to do in my view, especially since it retains those people for when production capacity needed to ramp back up. No need to train new people.

Once I had a boss say "good news"! You all are getting a raise. The catch was that we were losing our quarterly bonuses, and the raise didn't kick in until the follow year. So the first year, we all effectively got a pay cut, the second year we were back up to our previous pay, and the 3rd year we got a 4% raise, which probably just covered inflation for that year. He was a salesman, so he could keep a straight face while delivering the good news. Meanwhile, we all knew how to do math. He stuck to his guns (it's a raise), we stuck to ours (it's a pay decrease).

The owner has the right to change the terms of employment including canning me, and I have the right to walk away (I did once, but was given a 25% pay increase to stay). I consider it a fair arrangement.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Old 04-10-2020, 11:39 PM   #725 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,564 Times in 2,828 Posts
This feels like the bullspit virus. Wasn't even bad enough to make any real opportunity. Just bad enough to really hurt people who build their lives around living paycheck to paycheck.
I say try to keep the virus going through the summer to get herd immunity up before fall but not bad enough to over run hospitals or make the news.
If we do this all or nothing fight, we will just about stomp it out, think we won then it will roar back in the fall and be right back were we were a few weeks ago.

Quote:

Its a stimulus for the bottom line and the share holders.
The contractors are under contract and if the company want to reneg, problem is they likely agreed beforehand to brutal reneg and cancelation fees. For example, the contractors have likely already been paid, the contractors would love to be let go with all that money in their pocket free to find another gig.

Last edited by oil pan 4; 04-10-2020 at 11:57 PM..

Old 04-11-2020, 12:32 AM   #726 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
The contractors are under contract and if the company want to reneg, problem is they likely agreed beforehand to brutal reneg and cancelation fees. For example, the contractors have likely already been paid, the contractors would love to be let go with all that money in their pocket free to find another gig.
There are no reneg clauses. My wife is pretty close with several of them.

This isn't a real contract were they are hired to do a specific task. They are just hired under contract so the company can pay a straight hourly wage on a 1099 without benefits.

Old 04-11-2020, 04:11 AM   #727 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 30.49 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,229 Times in 1,719 Posts
I am going to continue teletherapy as long as possible even though I miss plenty of my kids. I have long feared that as soon as I let down my guard and tentatively start readjusting Mom or one of my kids will get sick.

Old 04-11-2020, 06:04 AM   #728 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 30.49 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,229 Times in 1,719 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
They called it brain cancer for his family's sake.
There is something seriously wrong with you.

I do not know about that picture, but this one was in the New York Times:

Quote:
The rumors are based partly on images of a Syrian fighter who resembles Mr. Baghdadi, seen in photographs with Mr. McCain
Quote:
The man who was misidentified as Mr. Baghdadi in the photographs, Mr. Rogers said Thursday, was a commander of the Northern Storm Brigade, a group linked to the Free Syrian Army. Mr. Rogers declined to identify him by name, saying he feared for the man’s safety.
Quote:
Mouaz Moustafa, the executive director of the Syrian Emergency Task Force, a Washington-based group that helped to arrange the senator’s visit, said all of the people who appeared in those photographs were at risk. When ISIS published the first issue of its magazine, Mr. Moustafa said, it featured one of the photographs and proclaimed, “We have to cut all these people’s heads off.”
Here is a picture of Baghdadi posted by Business Insider in early 2015:

https://www.businessinsider.com/abu-...on-file-2015-2

That isn't the same man!

Abu Mosa?
This is the only picture that I can find, also from Business Insider, but from 2014:

https://www.businessinsider.com/abu-mosa-killed-2014-8

That isn't the same man, either!

That was Salim Idris in the picture and he was in the Free Syrian Army, which was fighting a dictator guilty of war crimes. I have not read anything good about Assad or bad about the FSA.

That is Mouaz Moustafa in the picture. He was part of a PBS article about a refuge camp: Most aid to Syria’s Rukban camp has been blocked for more than a year. Here’s why

This was part of what he said during one of his appearances on C-SPAN:
Quote:
I want to thank the council for having me. It is an honor to be on such a distinguished panel. Everyone should read this work by Anne about the detention in Syria. It has always been, for Syrian people, something that was not a secret, before the uprising, it was a tool to go after political opposition, activists. As the uprising happened, thousands and thousands of civilians were arrested. As the checkpoints popped up around the country during the war, as the war became more violent and complex, it became easy for anyone stop today check point to be taken. You didn't have to have done anything, you didn't have to act against the government, you could have just had the wrong name, been from the wrong neighborhood. The militia members, the security officers at the checkpoints could have had a bad day. That was good enough for you to be taken.
Political Imprisonment

What is the problem with him?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MCCAIN-jumbo.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	27868   Click image for larger version

Name:	54e4e00969bedd9a68bdd5e5.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	27869   Click image for larger version

Name:	53f7b735ecad043d3c35ca4b.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	27870  

Old 04-11-2020, 12:11 PM   #729 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,823 Times in 7,279 Posts
Quote:
The man who was misidentified as Mr. Baghdadi in the photographs, Mr. Rogers said Thursday, was a commander of the Northern Storm Brigade, a group linked to the Free Syrian Army. Mr. Rogers declined to identify him by name, saying he feared for the man’s safety.
But what about the others? Abu Mosa included.

Old 04-11-2020, 12:31 PM   #730 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:

The place I work announced a pay cut for all white collar jobs lasting this entire year and a mandatory day off ever 3 weeks along with cancelling shut down and requiring anyone who can work from home to do so.

Considering we are entering a depression this type of thing certainly isn’t surprising and I expect more surprises the longer this extends.

Our country simply does everything wrong to financially or even logistically deal with a period of downturn like this many will be wiped out because of the high level of day to day expenses, least of which is wages.

The Following User Says Thank You to rmay635703 For This Useful Post:
Xist (04-11-2020)
Closed Thread  Post New Thread