Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2020, 11:34 PM   #831 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
I do not know anything about cold weather windshield washer fluid, just that I will stop at a gas station because my nozzles are frozen or the fluid freezes on my windshield and their squeegees are frozen in the fluid.

So, I am supposed to have summer fluid and winter fluid? The things you don't learn in Arizona!

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-20-2020, 04:29 PM   #832 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Geo XL1 - '94 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Boat tails and more mods
90 day: 72.22 mpg (US)

Big, Bad & Flat - '01 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 21.13 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,353 Times in 711 Posts

Iranian medicine man shares cure for Covid-19. He says it must be taken "fresh and warm".

https://en.radiofarda.com/a/drink-ca.../30565663.html

>

Old 04-20-2020, 08:11 PM   #833 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
A test for antibodies in LA shows just how badly we've been undertesting.

Coronavirus antibody testing shows LA County outbreak is up to 55 times bigger than reported cases

Quote:
The Covid-19 outbreak in Los Angeles County is likely far more widespread than previously thought, up to an estimated 55 times bigger than the number of confirmed cases, according to new research from the University of Southern California and the LA Department of Public Health.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

Old 04-20-2020, 08:16 PM   #834 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,390 Times in 3,364 Posts
Perhaps, but how conclusive is the test? If the test gives false positives, then we can only draw false conclusions from them.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
wdb (04-21-2020)
Old 04-21-2020, 01:14 AM   #835 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,390 Times in 3,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post

I found this on Facebook. The ad was three days old and I could not find anything about how much distilleries, including this specific one, were charging.

So if, by chance, I can get a bulk supply of free hand sanitizer, should I give it away for free after I post selfies with it?
I'm never quite sure if your posts are meant to be informative, entertaining, explanative, or inquisitive.

If people are not paying $75 per gallon of hand sanitizer, then that isn't the market price. If people are paying it, then that's the market price. Nowhere does gouging factor into anything, because that's like asking where the tooth fairy factors into the exchange of a tooth under a pillow, for money.

Do what you will if you receive bulk hand sanitizer for free.

If it was worth my effort, I'd sell it. That said, plenty of stuff isn't worth my effort because people on platforms like OfferUp are the worst.

Probably if you gave it away for free, that person would just sell it for whatever the market price is; just like blood [s]donation[/] extraction.

Ethanol has got to cost somewhere around $2/gallon to produce considering we burn it in our vehicles for that price. Perhaps making it somewhat gelatinous increases the price a little.

I'm all for prisoners being put to work. You end up getting push back though because they displace labor that would otherwise be paid positions. The only jobs then are those that were priced out of the market by minimum wage laws.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Old 04-21-2020, 03:07 AM   #836 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
Indeed, you can't tell whether the test only triggers on antibodies for SARS-CoV-2 or maybe also on other viruses that look like it. A totally different virus could use a similar receptor and provoke matching antibodies.

Then there are viruses that do resemble SARS-CoV-2 like the one that causes MERS.
If that camel had MERS its pee might contain antibodies and that could do something.
Whether it is worth it is doubtful. The camel loses it for a reason.

It may be that a large spread of the virus goes unnoticed, but then there are homes for the elderly with an over 50% mortality rate due to COVID-19. As the virus hits them so hard it is very unlikely that the total mortality rate is 0.2 % or thereabouts.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.

Last edited by RedDevil; 04-21-2020 at 05:13 AM..

Old 04-21-2020, 04:07 AM   #837 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Geo XL1 - '94 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Boat tails and more mods

Team Cummins

Antibody testing.

https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/...ing-sars-cov-2

Quote:
General FAQs

Q: What is the difference between the types of tests available for SARS-CoV-2?
A: "Nucleic acid amplification tests," or "NAAT" tests are molecular tests that detect the virus's genetic material in a sample that typically comes from a patient's respiratory system. FDA-authorized NAAT tests for SARS-CoV-2 meet the EUA statutory standard, and based on the current available data, we believe are highly accurate. This means that a positive or a negative result from a NAAT test is likely to be true.

Another type of test, called a serology or antibody test, measures the amount of antibodies present in the blood when the body is responding to a specific infection, like COVID-19. This means the test detects the body's immune response to the infection caused by the virus rather than detecting the virus itself. In the early days of an infection when the body's immune response is still building, antibodies may not be detected. This limits the test's effectiveness for diagnosing COVID-19 and why it should not be used as the sole basis to diagnose COVID-19.

In response to an infection, such as COVID-19, the body develops an overall immune response to fight the infection. One component of the immune system's response is development of antibodies that attach to the virus and help eliminate it. The body's initial immune reaction produces general antibodies that attack many infections, called "IgM" antibodies. IgM antibodies indicate an active or recent infection. Because it takes time for the body to make IgM antibodies in response to SARS-CoV-2, their absence does not mean that someone is not infected. A test for IgM antibodies may give a false negative result in a patient with SARS-CoV-2, particularly early in infection. A patient may have a negative result early in infection even when they are symptomatic or asymptomatic but actively shedding the virus. Since IgM antibodies may not develop early or at all in infected patients, this type of antibody test is not used to rule out SARS-CoV-2 in an individual.

Over time, the body develops a second type of antibody in response to the infection that is more specific to the virus, called "IgG" antibodies. Most antibody tests detect IgG antibodies. On average, IgG antibodies take about 4 weeks to develop, but the time to development may vary substantially, and there is still a lot we do not know about SARS-COV-2. Since IgG antibodies generally do not develop until several weeks after infection, this type of antibody test, even though it is more specific to SARS-CoV-2, is not used to rule-out SARS-CoV-2 infection in an individual.

We also do not know how long IgM or IgG antibodies to SARS-CoV-2 will remain present in the body after the infection has been cleared.

More information on serology tests for SARS-CoV-2 can be found in the Serology QA section of this FAQ page.
Quote:
Serology/Antibody Test FAQs

Q: If antibody tests are not used for diagnosis or exclusion of COVID-19 infection, what is their purpose? (Updated 4/17)
A: Serology tests that detect antibodies may detect different types of antibodies. The most common are IgM and IgG. A positive result from an appropriately validated serology test that detects IgM is likely to indicate that someone currently has or has recently had the virus. But a serology can yield a negative test result even in infected patients (e.g., if antibody has not yet developed in response to the virus) or may be falsely positive (e.g., if antibody to a coronavirus type other than the current pandemic novel strain is present). Thus, antibody tests by themselves are of limited value in the immediate diagnosis of a patient where COVID-19 infection is suspected. Using this type of test on many patients may help the medical community better understand how the immune response against the SARS-CoV-2 virus develops in patients over time and how many people may have been infected. While there is a lot of uncertainty with this new virus, it is also possible that, over time, broad use of antibody tests and clinical follow-up will provide the medical community with more information on whether or not and how long a person who has recovered from the virus is at lower risk of infection if they are exposed to the virus again.

Serology tests are of limited value in the immediate diagnosis or screening of a patient where COVID-19 infection is suspected because they cannot rule out presence of the virus. But positive results from appropriately validated serology tests that are designed to be very specific to the SARS-CoV-2 virus can confirm either that a patient has (for IgM antibodies), or more likely has recovered from (for IgG antibodies) a COVID-19 infection. In addition, although not everyone who is infected will develop an antibody response, appropriately validated serology tests, when used broadly, can be useful in understanding how many people have been infected or exposed and how far the pandemic has progressed.

Serology tests can play a critical role in the fight against COVID-19 by helping healthcare professionals identify individuals who have been exposed to SARS-CoV-2 virus and have developed an immune response. In the future, this may potentially be used to help determine, together with other clinical data, whether these individuals may be less susceptible to infection. In addition, these test results can aid in determining who may donate a part of their blood called convalescent plasma, which may serve as a possible treatment for those who are seriously ill from COVID-19.
>

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to redneck For This Useful Post:
freebeard (04-21-2020), RedDevil (04-21-2020), redpoint5 (04-21-2020)
Old 04-21-2020, 05:06 AM   #838 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
So NAAT tests are highly accurate during the infection. They cannot be used to determine whether someone who has recovered has been infected with SARS-CoV-2 as the virus will have been eliminated by then.

Serology tests are not reliable during an infection as the body may not have created antibodies yet. They can be used after the infection but are not entirely specific, an it is unclear how long the antibodies will remain present.

The reliability of these tests depends on the type of the test and the phase the infection is in.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.

Last edited by RedDevil; 04-21-2020 at 05:12 AM..

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RedDevil For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (04-21-2020), wdb (04-21-2020)
Old 04-21-2020, 08:41 AM   #839 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Geo XL1 - '94 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Boat tails and more mods

Team Cummins

Watch and listen (Hot mic)

https://twitter.com/goldstatetimes/s...S3oUG2XVXXPDrA

>

Old 04-21-2020, 02:19 PM   #840 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
It would be so awesome if those tests were accurate. Yes, we've been horribly undertesting, but if regular, random people that haven't been involved in the medical system are really testing positive for antibodies (and it means they're immune), this could be a lot closer to over than anyone hoped for.

The people getting really sick and needing hospitalization are bad enough, but if they're a much smaller fraction of people getting the virus, that's great news! Yes, it would mean we suck at mitigation and failed pathetically at testing, but it would also mean that millions of people breezed through it with no problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

Closed Thread  Post New Thread