Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2008, 04:04 PM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

yea I have been into the performance driving for awhile, ive been making the car lighter and the wide sticky tires help the handling a lot but now im liking the idea of going for ultra mileage when not on the track. i just received my new custom lightweight flywheel and new custom clutch back from unorthedox racing. the flywheel was commissioned and ordered by a freind of mine but he got rid of his c coup so i bought it off him. on the dyno the flywheel was worth 11 hp since its so much lighter I guess I can figure out now if that will affect the gas mileage at all.

our digital camera just got broke this week, but I can take some pictures soon of the stock aero stuff based on what I am reading the aero stuff that works seems to be on the mercedes already in part maybe i can make it larger or better in some way. the clutch and flywheel go into the car in a few weeks. then i can commence the other modding . first goal is 40mpg !

I will also give our body shop a call and see what he thinks it would take to fabricate some front end parts.

also one more question for now is there any formula or rule of thumb for overall weight reduction vs gas mileage savings. ie if i do a carbon fiber hood, or carbon fiber door panels etc.. back seat delete maybe. the care is more or less 3300 pounds as is.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-24-2008, 04:51 PM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

figured id post some pics of the rest of the cars me and my finance own.

most recent acquisition

2006 bmw M roadster

top gas mileage I ever got was 28mpg average highway is 21mpg

and her car

2003 bmw 325i

top gas mileage I ever got is 30mpg average highway is 26mpg

I saw everyone introducing all their cars so I'm band wagoning now we are going to mod the 3 series and the c230 for fuel economy we will leave the roadster alone I think. though it has some cool factory aero stuff that might be cool to take some pictures of for posterity.

Last edited by kompressor; 05-24-2008 at 05:10 PM..
Old 05-24-2008, 05:42 PM   #13 (permalink)
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kompressor View Post
2006 bmw M roadster
Nice collection! If i had to pick any roadster for everyday driveability, the Z4 takes the cake :drool: My Wife and I got to drive a 2.5i for a charity event and absolutely loved them. I can't imagine the M

Great numbers with the other cars too -- especially the C-series.

Enjoy the site and Welcome!

RH77

_
_
Old 05-24-2008, 09:44 PM   #14 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 60.16 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,957 Times in 3,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kompressor View Post
also one more question for now is there any formula or rule of thumb for overall weight reduction vs gas mileage savings.
EPA says "up to" 2% for every 100 lbs:

Quote:
An extra 100 pounds in your vehicle could reduce your MPG by up to 2%. The reduction is based on the percentage of extra weight relative to the vehicle's weight and affects smaller vehicles more than larger ones.
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/driveHabits.shtml

Unfortunately, it's not qualified, so not terribly useful.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 05-25-2008, 12:58 AM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

thanks for the comments

the EPA finding is interesting i wonder how accurate it really is i suppose as I delve further into this I can maybe find out. heck could probably just add 100 pounds to the car and see if it hurts mileage. though 2% may be hard to measure conclusively.

here are a few more pictures of the M RH77 if you have driven the regular z4 you can see how the M differs.

3.2 liter M engine produces 330hp in the roadster

the M steering wheel its really thick with the red and blue stitching

the seats leather with big side bolsters and M logos

M gauges 8k redline !

we got the Nav its pretty cool it closes into the dash if you want for the clean roadster look also it closes when the car is off

13.8 inch vented and drilled rotors with 18 inch wheels

quad exhaust and led tails, (though those tailights are now standard on the regular z4 for 08 )

M side logo and clear turn signals.

thats most of the differences between it and the regular z4 it also has an aluminum hood and trunk and no sound deadening insulation on either for less weight.

we love the car we picked it over a porsche cayman S and a few other contenders the M just sounds better and feels better from a drivers perspective.
Old 05-25-2008, 01:01 AM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

i may as well here is the hood all aluminum with no insulation

heres a side shot

i nice night shot showing the hid's also the M has the hood bulges, and no foglights as those to black areas on the outside edges are brake air ducts

from an ecomodding perspective you can see how loosing the sound and heat insulation on my mercedes might be a good place to start it probably adds up to quite a bit hood, trunk... etc...

also on the M it has some interesting aero features that could translate into aero info of some sort, it has a front chin spoiler, and a rear one, on the front the two edges go down further and the middle is raised from what ive been reading about air dams that probably makes sense. the aero on the rear actuly has an underbelly pan that has grooves that go up and over the rear bumper spoiler, and the trunk has a tip up at the end. though the car obviously is designed for performance and not mileage I think they do want low drag but also they want more downforce so maybe the rear setup is not ideal I will get some pictures of it all.

Last edited by kompressor; 05-25-2008 at 01:09 AM..
Reply  Post New Thread