Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2013, 06:30 PM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Whitey - '10 Ford Ranger XL
Pickups
90 day: 33.74 mpg (US)

Hershey - '13 Nissan Altima SL
90 day: 28.68 mpg (US)

Midas - '10 Toyota Prius two
The modes can be switched by the push of a button. She starts in "normal," but I have the eco button pushed and it will be in eco when I turn the ignition on. Power and EV are the other two modes. To turn on "normal" I just have to push my eco button to turn eco off. But from what I've read is that the A/C runs more efficiently and the gas pedal is more forgiving of a heavy foot. I really only care about the A/C. But I really do think the max power is trimmed in eco because there are a few hills that if I keep her in the happy area I will lose speed.

Ford likes having the best selling truck in america at the cost of a great light duty in the Global Ranger which is not sold in America. RIP American Ranger, you had a good run. Seriously check out Ford's new Ranger, two diesel options, full sized cab, improved aero, absolutely amazing. And that's why Ford won't sell it in America, because NO ONE WOULD BUY AN F-150 EVER AGAIN!

Does anyone think that there ever will be an el camino type Prius? I would buy that! I know that Toyota and Ford are teaming up on developing a RWD hybrid powertrain; and Honda and GM are collaberating on some Fuel Cell project.

So there are several warm up modes to the Prius and that's why EV might not turn on, kick me out for excessive speed at 10 or 25 MPH based off of which stage she is in. Also I apparently have a second to push EV to use when not warm.

Check out my facebook page, if you feel like watching my progress.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/MPGran...007268?sk=wall
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-12-2013, 08:00 PM   #12 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPGranger View Post
Ford likes having the best selling truck in america at the cost of a great light duty in the Global Ranger which is not sold in America. RIP American Ranger, you had a good run. Seriously check out Ford's new Ranger, two diesel options, full sized cab, improved aero, absolutely amazing. And that's why Ford won't sell it in America, because NO ONE WOULD BUY AN F-150 EVER AGAIN!
I see, it doesn't seem too difficult to just hit the normal or power button as you approach the hill.

And the Ranger is sold in most of America, it's only the North that doesn't sell it now. The only reason Ford has kept the model of Ranger in NA was because of it's size, while the rest of the world has the bigger model- that was because it was the only small truck in the US.

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.
Old 07-13-2013, 12:41 AM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Civic DX (sold) - '97 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 34.15 mpg (US)

GTO (sold) - '04 Pontiac GTO
90 day: 22.62 mpg (US)

Green Brick (sold) - '06 Ford Escape Hybrid
90 day: 31.93 mpg (US)
I believe that the modes just change the throttle response, flooring it should give you the same amount of power in eco, normal, or power. Besides the difference in the way AC works, a good driver could probably get the same mileage in eco or normal mode.
I don't have an EV button in mine (yet), but it looks like you have until the engine kicks on after you first power it up to go into EV mode. After the engine turns on, you have to wait until its warmed up to use EV mode again.

Camry Thread
E-Bike Thread
Old 07-13-2013, 07:22 AM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Mazda 3-i touring - '12 Mazda 3 i-touring
90 day: 43.48 mpg (US)

Honda Elite 150 - '87 Honda Elite 150
90 day: 95.65 mpg (US)
What are you asking for the ranger, is it an extra cab model?
Old 07-13-2013, 08:16 AM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Pickups

Ford hasn't kept the Ranger in America. Since 2008, when they didn't accept a bailout, they have been globalizing their entire fleet. More parts in common, means ordering in bulk, means more savings per item. Ford USA recommends getting an F-150 or an Escape if you want a new Ranger.
EDIT: can you find me a 2012 Ranger?

I guess I could put the Prius in power and start cycling the A/C. Too bad Toyota didn't put an A/C button on the steering wheel. Since the 3Gs don't have timing belts, I don't even have to time my A/C use with my P&G. But the traction battery is cooled by the cabin air, so if I hypermile it too much, it would negatively affect the battery.

I'm going to have to check KBB, NADA and Edmunds to see what the Ranger is worth. It is a single cab with a manual transmission. RWD and a 2.3L I4 with 5 speed manual transmission. Interior is vinyl with rubber flooring. I've had absolutely no problems mechanically with it, but then it's a Ford Ranger and is in that cockroach category for vehicles, so no surprise there. Just under 36K miles on her, so I've put about 9K miles a year on her. If you check my profile I've dropped in K&N filter and a magna flow muffler installed.
EDIT: Just checked KBB, NADA and Edmunds; a fair private selling price for it is $12 grand.

Last edited by MPGranger; 07-13-2013 at 08:36 AM..
Old 07-13-2013, 09:52 AM   #16 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Quote:
Ford hasn't kept the Ranger in America.
2012 Global-Market Ford Ranger - First Drive - Truck Trend

The Ford Ranger, again, is available in the Americas, but not the North.

Quote:
EDIT: can you find me a 2012 Ranger?
Yes. (Allegedly) the 2012 models are fleet production. I do not know this for fact, but until fairly recently the Crown Victoria was available as a fleet vehicle.

As of September 9th, 2012, the Ford Ranger was still being sold as a fleet vehicle in the United States, I can't comment on Canada. I believe it's identical to the 2011.

Best Tanks:
Old 07-13-2013, 02:46 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
Quote:
Does anyone think that there ever will be an el camino type Prius? I would buy that!
Will you, really?

or this:

See this thread for more info.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.

Last edited by RedDevil; 07-13-2013 at 02:56 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RedDevil For This Useful Post:
AntiochOG (08-24-2013), UltArc (07-15-2013)
Old 07-15-2013, 02:59 PM   #18 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Pickups

LOL I was thinking something a little more stock looking.

Just hooked up the UltraGauge to the Prius, I think there is a setting wrong, because it is turning off with the ICE and reporting 22 MPG! So I'm using 8 gauges: engine load, coolant temp F, torque 1, HP 1, instant GPH, RPM, average MPG, and short trip MPG. These are not set in stone so they will be adjusted as I see fit.

And when I say America, I am colloquially refer to the USA and it's availability to the average USA consumer. Semantically saying that the Americas have the new global Ranger is not affecting what I'm saying. Which is, "I cannot go to my Ford dealership and buy the new Ranger." I really like the global Ranger and would love to own the 2.2L I-4 turbo diesel with a six speed tranny; I am really upset about not being able to own it.

Old 07-15-2013, 04:14 PM   #19 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,586 Times in 1,554 Posts
Quote:
I guess I could put the Prius in power and start cycling the A/C. Too bad Toyota didn't put an A/C button on the steering wheel. Since the 3Gs don't have timing belts, I don't even have to time my A/C use with my P&G. But the traction battery is cooled by the cabin air, so if I hypermile it too much, it would negatively affect the battery.
The A/C is run off an electric compressor pump that runs off the main pack. There is no reason to P&G and turn A/C on/off.

Also, I wouldn't worry about the pack overheating unless your car is SUPER hot inside. It not only has the air cooling system, but it also limits how much you can assist/regen when the pack gets too warm. It protects itself very well, thats why you simply don't hear about problems with Toyota hybrids...

I don't know if you can program gauges into the UG like you can on the SGII, but I recommend looking into programming a gauge that monitors the ammeter on the main pack. It'll teach you how much brake to use while not exceeding the amount of power you can regen into the pack, so you can recapture as much of that energy as possible.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:47 PM   #20 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Quote:
LOL I was thinking something a little more stock looking.

Just hooked up the UltraGauge to the Prius, I think there is a setting wrong, because it is turning off with the ICE and reporting 22 MPG! So I'm using 8 gauges: engine load, coolant temp F, torque 1, HP 1, instant GPH, RPM, average MPG, and short trip MPG. These are not set in stone so they will be adjusted as I see fit.

And when I say America, I am colloquially refer to the USA and it's availability to the average USA consumer. Semantically saying that the Americas have the new global Ranger is not affecting what I'm saying. Which is, "I cannot go to my Ford dealership and buy the new Ranger." I really like the global Ranger and would love to own the 2.2L I-4 turbo diesel with a six speed tranny; I am really upset about not being able to own it.
Ah, I see. I have always referred to the Americas as the continents, and North and South as their respective continents with their own countries. My father loved the Ranger, but his deals on F 150s are "too good to pass up." For over a decade he has been talking about the 4 door Ranger, which Ford (in the past, and allegedly) wouldn't make because the Ranger would lose it's class as Small truck and switch to Midsize. Hence the SportsTrac, which is somehow "too big."

But right, they are not available in the US, I am not sure about Canada. I never noted you saying the bold portion, I missed you saying that, I meant specifically that of the North and South American continents, most of the countries have them.

Best Tanks:
Reply  Post New Thread