Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2014, 07:41 PM   #131 (permalink)
Liberty Lover

pris prius - '12 Toyota plug in prius
90 day: 71.09 mpg (US)
side mirrors

I like the side mirrors. Do you get a lot of headlight glare from cars behind you at night?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG VX View Post

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-04-2014, 09:11 AM   #132 (permalink)
JDM hypeR mileR

The OG VX - '92 Honda Civic VX
Team Honda
90 day: 68.64 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrmouseyd15b View Post
Ha ha! Put that on top of the air dam, and that's almost an hour with paint.

You don't want me in your body shop, OG!
Haha! Actually, I think it looks pretty mean! I rather like the "exposed screw threads". Gives it kind of a ...Frankenstein appeal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltothewolf View Post
Have you tried heating it up with a heat gun? Not sure if it would work for composite but, it worked on my plastic lawn edging (somewhat).

I love your work, please continue giving us updates!
Thanks so much friend! I'll certainly keep posting here. I really appreciate the feedback and continual insight/ideas I get from all on this site.

I have def thought about the ol' heat gun trick. Not sure how much plastic is in this material though...it almost feels like their is a bit of wood/pulp mixed in...Very strong material!

I've thought about water soaking + heavy weights/bricks/books on top for a week or so. Maybe even steaming with an iron?!
"Yesterday as I was going in to the shop, I came upon a recently killed Armadillo in the middle of the road with one front leg sticking up. As I passed over him he "High Fived" my air dam. I thought that showed a great attitude on his part." -The Donkey CRX

Old 11-04-2014, 08:22 PM   #133 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

2013 STi *SOLD* - '13 Subaru Impreza WRX STi
Subaru
Sports Cars
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 26.59 mpg (US)

1996 Geo Metro *RETIRED from Ecomodding* - '96 Geo Metro Base
90 day: 58.68 mpg (US)
have you considered fiberglassing a 2-3" lip on the back of the front air dam around the corners to create a "perfectly curved backing".....then screw down the corners into the fiberglass?

See the rest of the Sti project log:
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...log-26612.html
The Following User Says Thank You to jedi_sol For This Useful Post:
Fat Charlie (11-05-2014)
Old 11-05-2014, 10:29 AM   #134 (permalink)
JDM hypeR mileR

Team Honda
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi_sol View Post
have you considered fiberglassing a 2-3" lip on the back of the front air dam around the corners to create a "perfectly curved backing".....then screw down the corners into the fiberglass?
Not a bad idea at all. Thanks for the tip friend!
"Yesterday as I was going in to the shop, I came upon a recently killed Armadillo in the middle of the road with one front leg sticking up. As I passed over him he "High Fived" my air dam. I thought that showed a great attitude on his part." -The Donkey CRX

Old 11-05-2014, 10:38 AM   #135 (permalink)
JDM hypeR mileR

Team Honda
Update 11/5/2014: EcoSafety Sign; Part 2

Hello all. The fabrication is now done on the EcoSafety sign. I need to go back and do some touch-up paint work around the outline of the arrows. Unfortunately, despite my efforts to aid with an Exacto knife, the tape lines did not release with precision due to the elasticity of Plasti-Dip paint.

Here’s some progress pics:

In primer:

I used the same primer that I used to paint the MPGuino button board on my dash. Here’s a couple of pics of the can, in case anyone is looking for a paint with a close match to the OEM 92-95 Civic dash trim color. I bought it at Lowes for a bit under $4.

I then sanded the primed panel to remove orange-peel:

Next, I sprayed on a layer of white basecoat, to help a few coats of this stuff to really pop out:

A few layers of clear-coat was sprayed on top to seal everything in.

All dried and test fitting:

Decals applied. I sourced these vinyl die-cut letters at Lowes, in the mailbox/sign section; circa 50 cents per letter; a plus sign was not available so an "I" was cut up into pieces and those pieces were used to create a "+" shape. While I didn't take pictures of it, I temporarily placed some thin striping tape from my old model cars kit on the bottom and top of the space allotted for the letters. I used these tape lines as guide marks to help me place the decals as even/straight as possible.

I then drilled holes for the wiring, set rubber grommets in their place, and taped the arrows onto the panel:

3M amber tape was applied as an overlay (mainly for aesthetic purposes):

Next, I masked off a shape for the arrow:

3 Coats of Plasti-Dip black and 2 Coats of Glossifier were then applied (for aesthetic purposes, but also to protect the electrical circuits/wiring):

Next, I set to create an anchor for the sign, in case a strong gust of wind ever caught a corner and wanted to force it off of the car. I choose a bolt just inside the tailgate to bolt the anchor up to:

I then cut some thin chain to length and sleeved it with heat shrink. I used a heat gun to shrink everything into place. Hooks were crimped to both ends. One end was bolted to the hatch at the aforementioned location. The other end was looped and crimped into a hole drilled on the top magnetic bracket of the sign.

Everything all buttoned up and ready to ride:

Today’s maiden voyage went great. So far, the sign appears to be well received, other than a few of my colleagues laughing at me in the office.

I did find one thing rather odd. I suspected people would just blast right by me when they saw the sign. However, many just stayed behind me and rode along. Not tailgating me, but keeping a healthy/respectful distance. It was like…the sign was giving me more respect. No one was mad at all. No honks, nothing like that. Appears the signing is making life safer. I felt a bit like Forrest Gump, leading the runners cross-nation. People just jumped right in

So far, the EcoSafety sign appears to be living up to it’s name. As always, I'll continue to keep you updated. Wiring work will be next on the list to (finally) finish this part of the project.

Thanks for EcoTuning in.

Last edited by OG VX; 11-05-2014 at 11:26 AM..
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to OG VX For This Useful Post:
California98Civic (11-08-2014), COcyclist (07-21-2015), DOHCschwab (11-06-2014), user removed (11-09-2014)
Old 11-05-2014, 12:24 PM   #136 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Subaru
Sports Cars
Team Turbocharged!

Excellent work as always

one tip to have clean edges when using plastidip...is you have to spray it on a little heavy...then peel off the painters tape while the plastidip is still wet.

otherwise, if you peel off the painters tape after the plastidip has dried...yes, the plastidip will cling to the tape and fray the edges

The Following User Says Thank You to jedi_sol For This Useful Post:
Xist (11-05-2014)
Old 11-07-2014, 02:16 PM   #137 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Subaru
Sports Cars
Team Turbocharged!

I read your thread over at Honda-tech...im surprised by positive feed back you got from those members.

Did honda tech grow up?

If i showed my ecomodded del sol a few years ago on honda tech, i bet i would've been laughed at, lol.

Old 11-07-2014, 03:15 PM   #138 (permalink)
JDM hypeR mileR

Team Honda
Thanks Jedi for the tip on Plasti-Dip taping. I was hesitant to touch the tape while the paint was drying though, for fear I would smudge it. It was colder out, and the Plasti-Dip was plenty "wet" while drying.

Yeah, I think the HT crew is growing up a bit, or atleast some of them. Most are younger, and want to go fast and throw a lot of money around on shiney parts. No judgement, as I was no different prior to getting a bit "older". Hopefully the thread will spread some more light out there about Hypermiling. Thanks for sharing your pics. That Sol was awesome! How did the choroplast do that close to the exhaust?

Old 11-07-2014, 03:19 PM   #139 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Subaru
Sports Cars
Team Turbocharged!

Coroplast held up just fine next to the exhaust. Iirc, coroplast has a melting point of 350*f

Its funny how some ht members think your safety sign is a bit of "showing off.... I'm better than you" lol

Old 11-07-2014, 03:43 PM   #140 (permalink)
JDM hypeR mileR

Team Honda
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi_sol View Post
Coroplast held up just fine next to the exhaust. Iirc, coroplast has a melting point of 350*f

Its funny how some ht members think your safety sign is a bit of "showing off.... I'm better than you" lol
I found that interesting as well. I'm just trying to stay alive, mainly, ha!

I'm also trying to spread the word about hypermiling, and the benefits of driving...with control.

Ignorance abounds on the "internets", unfortunately.

The Following User Says Thank You to OG VX For This Useful Post:
user removed (11-09-2014)
Reply  Post New Thread