Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2014, 10:35 AM   #161 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Boo Radley - '65 Ford F100
90 day: 13.28 mpg (US)
Looks great, but that sounds like a lot of work to straighten the lawn edging! Glad you could make it happen though.

The Following User Says Thank You to Sven7 For This Useful Post:
OG VX (11-10-2014)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-10-2014, 10:48 AM   #162 (permalink)
JDM hypeR mileR

The OG VX - '92 Honda Civic VX
Team Honda
90 day: 68.64 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven7 View Post
Looks great, but that sounds like a lot of work to straighten the lawn edging! Glad you could make it happen though.
Thanks bro! I feel the extra time spent was easily saved in prep/paint work + costs, though. Additionally, the material is strong enough that (once set) no back-bracing/support is needed. I think the materials natural curling tendency also further effects the tensile strength for the positive.
"Yesterday as I was going in to the shop, I came upon a recently killed Armadillo in the middle of the road with one front leg sticking up. As I passed over him he "High Fived" my air dam. I thought that showed a great attitude on his part." -The Donkey CRX

Old 11-10-2014, 06:48 PM   #163 (permalink)
Red Light Avoider

My Civic - '00 Honda Civic DX
Team Honda
90 day: 46 mpg (US)
Looks awesome! Glad you're still with us too! Texting and driving is too distracting.

The Following User Says Thank You to pletby For This Useful Post:
OG VX (11-13-2014)
Old 11-14-2014, 11:36 AM   #164 (permalink)
JDM hypeR mileR

Team Honda
Happy Friday!

No progress updates for today, but thought I’d check in with some performance progress and future plans. The Civic is still pulling 65mpg trips, notably one 30 mile trip with my whole family in tote.

However, I’m finding it harder to do now that the weather is a good bit colder and the fall winds are really picking up here on these NC mornings. I’ve also started getting the family around in the Civic on the weekends, since the F150 was getting us 15 mpg each weekend. That will save us about $90 per month, we calculated. Basically, I have the coolest wife IN THE WORLD.

As a result of these changes, my MPG average dropped a good bit, as I’ve now been off of solely doing my normal/predictable work commute paths. I ended up with 55mpg last tank last week. I’ve since gotten that up to 58.5 mpg so far this week, but I’m not sure if I can pull back above 60 mpg until more Aero work is done, atleast until we get a more full-efficient car to ride the family around in on the weekends.

Here’s my aforementioned trip with the fam on Tuesday. We went to do some volunteer work in the community, and I had VTO from work, which was nice: Family time + volunteering.

Also, I believe my fuel pump is weakening, so that is likely a factor in the lower MPG’s as well. I picked up an OEM-used and warrantied unit from Beaver’s Honda, and also a new OEM-spec sock filter from Autozone. I plan to replace the pump this weekend. The car has been struggling to regain fuel pressure when coming back off of an EOC. Its been getting worse daily, and was scary yesterday on the highway, so I’ve just stopped EOC’ing all together, until the pump is replaced and/or the issue is corrected.

I’m taking a trip to pick up some used Eibach Sportline springs + OEM shocks tomorrow morning. I will put them on asap. I’m hoping to pick up 2 more mpg’s with the lowered stance. It will, of course, be nice to have a bit more of an aggressive stance for aesthetic reasons as well... I cringe every time I look at that 4.5" wheel gap. Wowza.

Likely, this will also mean me needing to shave 1-2” off of the front air dam. That’s fine, as the front dam will then level out with the height of the side-skirts. While I'm in that area, I have also found a clean OEM drivers seat that I will likely pick up. I’m uncertain, at this point, as to whether the fabric color on the sides of the seats is an identical color to mine, but the center pattern is a direct match. The outer gray fabric appears to be a lighter gray than my own, but that could just be the exposure on the seller’s pics. I hope that is the case, as he only want’s $25 for it, and it's rip free

Also, I have been discussing and have received confirmation from user "The Donkey CRX" at EcoModder.com that I can use his rear end aero designs. I will use his proven designs to finish up the aero work on the OG VX, alongside a full underbody Belly Pan and rear diffuser. I plan to drill in 12mm nutserts across the rear end to mount the new aero. I’ll then use anodized black washers + SS Allen-head bolts off of Ebay for a clean/flush look to all panel mounts. For those curious, he is making regular 85 + mpg tanks with his aero package. He is truly an eco-pioneer for us Honda-heads, and his showcase thread is HERE.

Once all aero work is done (around late winter), the car will get a fresh coat of Milano Red paint.

I hope to be show-ready by late- spring, with hopes bringing the car to the Import Alliance 2015 summer meet.

Anyone want to Eco-Roll with me to IA 2015 this year?!

Finally, I stumbled upon these pics today of one of my first builds, the "OG Wagon". Man, this made my day! New owner, Chase, is doing a great job with the car, taking it to new heights and adding his own unique twist to the car. Love the period-correct PRIME rims he has put on, and these rolling shots are superb!

All, have a great weekend. Thanks for EcoTuning in.

"Yesterday as I was going in to the shop, I came upon a recently killed Armadillo in the middle of the road with one front leg sticking up. As I passed over him he "High Fived" my air dam. I thought that showed a great attitude on his part." -The Donkey CRX

Last edited by OG VX; 11-14-2014 at 11:43 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OG VX For This Useful Post:
Eastwood (11-14-2014), The donkey CRX (11-14-2014)
Old 11-14-2014, 12:00 PM   #165 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

2013 STi *SOLD* - '13 Subaru Impreza WRX STi
Subaru
Sports Cars
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 26.59 mpg (US)

1996 Geo Metro *RETIRED from Ecomodding* - '96 Geo Metro Base
90 day: 58.68 mpg (US)
The drop in MPG is most likely due to combinations of colder weather and gas switching over the winter blend.

on my Sti...same commute to work, same driving techniques...i can barely muster 29-30 mpg in the winter.

Then when spring/summer rolls around....i can get 32-33 mpg easy.

See the rest of the Sti project log:
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...log-26612.html
The Following User Says Thank You to jedi_sol For This Useful Post:
OG VX (11-15-2014)
Old 11-14-2014, 12:11 PM   #166 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

2013 STi *SOLD* - '13 Subaru Impreza WRX STi
Subaru
Sports Cars
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 26.59 mpg (US)

1996 Geo Metro *RETIRED from Ecomodding* - '96 Geo Metro Base
90 day: 58.68 mpg (US)
also, regarding the slow fuel pressure build up...perhaps your battery is losing it's charge due to Eoc-ing? Have you tried topping up your battery?

See the rest of the Sti project log:
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...log-26612.html
The Following User Says Thank You to jedi_sol For This Useful Post:
OG VX (11-15-2014)
Old 11-14-2014, 12:20 PM   #167 (permalink)
JDM hypeR mileR

Team Honda
^^ Jedi, not a bad idea. I suppose that is also worth a shot.

The fuel pressue has never been 100% optimum, since I purchased the vehicle. I actually bought the fuel pump two months ago. I've just been working on other things. Really, it's time to replace it. I do believe its on the way out. However, I wouldn't put it past the battery to be an issue as well.

Probably both, ha!

Old 11-14-2014, 02:32 PM   #168 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
I always blew through the filter (backwards) with some air, to see if it had picked up any trash. Return systems will plug a filter up quick if there is any junk in the tank.

regards
mech
Old 11-14-2014, 03:54 PM   #169 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Volvo 360 - '85 Volvo 360

Peugeot - '01 Peugeot 306
Get some rubber plugs on those bolts used to secure the scangauge, you don't want to bump your head into those! Nice results for a car packed with family!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joris For This Useful Post:
Eastwood (11-14-2014), OG VX (11-15-2014)
Old 11-14-2014, 11:43 PM   #170 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Turtle - '94 Honda Civic VX
Team Honda
90 day: 48.37 mpg (US)

SVO - '86 Ford Mustang SVO
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 22.03 mpg (US)
Awesome build! Just read through the whole thing in one sitting. I recently picked up a 94 VX and plan on some of the same eco-mods that you have done to yours. Thanks for the inspiration and keep up the good work!

Reply  Post New Thread