Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2014, 06:54 AM   #171 (permalink)
JDM hypeR mileR

The OG VX - '92 Honda Civic VX
Team Honda
90 day: 68.64 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi_sol View Post
The drop in MPG is most likely due to combinations of colder weather and gas switching over the winter blend.

on my Sti...same commute to work, same driving techniques...i can barely muster 29-30 mpg in the winter.

Then when spring/summer rolls around....i can get 32-33 mpg easy.
I see. Thanks. What is this "winter blend" gas you speak of?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesteel93 View Post
Awesome build! Just read through the whole thing in one sitting. I recently picked up a 94 VX and plan on some of the same eco-mods that you have done to yours. Thanks for the inspiration and keep up the good work!
Thanks so much sir! Glad my stumbling/ramblings on this build could be of inspiration! These cars are a blast to mod and drive around. Please start a build thread and share your progress ...and get an MPGuino as fast as you can!

"Yesterday as I was going in to the shop, I came upon a recently killed Armadillo in the middle of the road with one front leg sticking up. As I passed over him he "High Fived" my air dam. I thought that showed a great attitude on his part." -The Donkey CRX

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-15-2014, 06:35 PM   #172 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

2013 STi *SOLD* - '13 Subaru Impreza WRX STi
Subaru
Sports Cars
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 26.59 mpg (US)

1996 Geo Metro *RETIRED from Ecomodding* - '96 Geo Metro Base
90 day: 58.68 mpg (US)
What is the Difference between Summer- and Winter-Blend Gasoline? | AAA NewsRoom

The US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) says conventional summer-blend gasoline contains 1.7 percent more energy than winter-blend gas, which is one reason why gas mileage is slightly better in the summer. However, the summer-blend is also more expensive to produce, and that cost is passed on to the motorist.

The switch between the two fuels happens twice a year, once in the fall (to winter-blend) and again in the spring (to summer-blend). The changeover requires significant work at refineries, so oil companies schedule their maintenance for those times when they will already be “down” for the blend switches.]

See the rest of the Sti project log:
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...log-26612.html
The Following User Says Thank You to jedi_sol For This Useful Post:
OG VX (11-17-2014)
Old 11-17-2014, 12:11 PM   #173 (permalink)
JDM hypeR mileR

Team Honda
Update 10/17/2014: Eibach Sportline Springs

After a month long search for quality used springs at a great price, I drove up to Lexington, NC on Saturday morning and picked up a set of used Eibach Sportline Springs.

The springs came bolted up to OEM shocks that were in fair condition. I went ahead and installed them them as-is, as I really didn’t want to fool with renting a spring compressor. Removal of the shocks and suspension bolts was a breeze on my car. I’m very fortunate to have such a clean chassis to work with.

The finished drop came out to be a solid 1.80” front and 1.70” rear. I’m very happy with the stance. Two finger gap in front; 2 ½ finger gap in the rear. The ride is good, though I think I’ll end up renting a spring compressor in the near future and pairing the springs with my OEM shocks, as the OEM shocks that were on my car are in better condition and are newer than the OEM shocks that the springs came with.

I picked everything up for $75, and sold my OEM mudflaps on Ebay for a $50 profit. So, the springs ended up costing about $25 + some gas and Saturday morning sleep.

While in the area, I lucked out and picked up a sweet head unit at a Lexington Salvage yard for an absolute steal. Online specs say it should have an amber light-up option. More on that in a future post...

Thanks for EcoTuning in!
"Yesterday as I was going in to the shop, I came upon a recently killed Armadillo in the middle of the road with one front leg sticking up. As I passed over him he "High Fived" my air dam. I thought that showed a great attitude on his part." -The Donkey CRX

Last edited by OG VX; 11-17-2014 at 01:47 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OG VX For This Useful Post:
California98Civic (11-18-2014), vrmouseyd15b (11-18-2014)
Old 11-17-2014, 12:23 PM   #174 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Subaru
Sports Cars
Team Turbocharged!

Night and day difference with the drop!

I know i could just google it, but iirc, the sportlines are stiffer/lower than the prokits?

Would oem shocks hold up to sportlines?

The Following User Says Thank You to jedi_sol For This Useful Post:
OG VX (11-17-2014)
Old 11-17-2014, 12:30 PM   #175 (permalink)
JDM hypeR mileR

Team Honda
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi_sol View Post
Night and day difference with the drop!

I know i could just google it, but iirc, the sportlines are stiffer/lower than the prokits?

Would oem shocks hold up to sportlines?
Thanks Jedi! Yes, you can run the OEM shocks

Here's my posts on the subject today on Krohns27's thread:

I just installed some Eibach Sportline springs on the car this weekend. They came with used OEM shocks that were not in as good of condition as mine. I went ahead and ran them anyway, as I didn't want to fool with a spring compressor. They ride surprisingly well, even with the aged shocks. I plan to swap on my OEM shocks this coming weekend. Hoping that fixes the slightly bumpy ride and few rattles here in there. It is my understanding that with the Sportline's, you CAN run the OEM shocks, though aftermarkets are recommended, solely because they will wear out the OEM shocks over time. But, if I can eek out 15K or so out of them, while riding nice, I'll do that.

With the "pro kit", OEM shocks and suspension geometry is not affected severe enough to justify new shocks and an alignment kit.

But, the "sportline kit" is more aggressive. I'm glad I went with it though, as I believe the Pro Kit would have been too subtle of a change to really do much of anything... Being that the VX is the lightest Civic trim, I don't think it drops as much as, say an EX model.

Last edited by OG VX; 11-17-2014 at 12:39 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OG VX For This Useful Post:
bluesteel93 (11-17-2014), jedi_sol (11-17-2014)
Old 11-17-2014, 05:50 PM   #176 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Turtle - '94 Honda Civic VX
Team Honda
90 day: 48.37 mpg (US)

SVO - '86 Ford Mustang SVO
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 22.03 mpg (US)
Interesting. The car definetly looks better sitting a little lower. I might have to look into this kit for mine although I'm sure it will likely depend more on what local craigslist deals I can find.

Need more pics of the car with the drop!
The Following User Says Thank You to bluesteel93 For This Useful Post:
OG VX (11-18-2014)
Old 11-18-2014, 12:47 PM   #177 (permalink)
JDM hypeR mileR

Team Honda
Thanks BlueSteel93. I'll get some more pics up asap. I would like to do a little "State of the Build" shoot pretty soon, with a nice camera. A lot of the entry phases of the build are done, so it would be a nice cap to them, I think.

Man, I'm a good bit frustrated with the car over the last few days. I have been dealing with a good bit of loss in power/bogging, and a corresponding (intermittent) check engine light. The light, unfortunately, resets itself every time I turn off the engine. So, I can't pull a code to find out what is causing this issue.

Basically, car feels like it's operating at 80% of it's power potential. As a result, mileage is at 54.4 for this tank, and that's with me EOC'ing and using every bit of my still-novice hypermiling technique in my arsenal. Just last week I was getting 60+mpg trips nearly every outing, and now this...

I replaced the fuel pump with a known-good unit, coupled with a new sock filter. This helped a good bit, but has not completely solved the issue. The power is still not 100%. At this point, I"m leaning towards a plug or two may have been fouled from when the old fuel pump was performing at a sub-par level. I'll check them when I get home tonight.

Made 54.4 coming in this morning. No bueno. It's frustrating, as a month ago my engine was performing tip-top, but the aero was lacking. Now, a month later, I feel like I have the aero really coming along, but the engine is now lagging.

Ha! The drama of owning an older vehicle continues...

Last edited by OG VX; 11-18-2014 at 12:53 PM..
Old 11-18-2014, 02:03 PM   #178 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Subaru
Sports Cars
Team Turbocharged!

I thought Honda ECU's store all codes until you unhook the battery?

Old 11-18-2014, 03:55 PM   #179 (permalink)
JDM hypeR mileR

Team Honda
not for pre-OBDII cars. Atleast, it appears not...with this code. ha!

Old 11-18-2014, 05:30 PM   #180 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

MULE VX - '92 Honda civic VX
Team Honda
90 day: 92.6 mpg (US)

White 94 VX "Show Car" - '94 Honda Civic VX VX
90 day: 79.92 mpg (US)

The Walrus - '02 Honda Insight base
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 100.88 mpg (US)
OG, your lack of performance and MPG could be due to colder weather or wind and rain. Don't panic until you are able to do a commute in clear weather with temps around 50 degrees. Every time I get stuck in heavy rains and wind, I always think something must have gone wrong with the motor because of the lower performance.

The Following User Says Thank You to The donkey CRX For This Useful Post:
OG VX (11-18-2014)
Reply  Post New Thread