Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2015, 10:44 AM   #371 (permalink)
EcoMod Proof of Concept

WD-40's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
Gen-1 Insights
Team Honda
90 day: 56.04 mpg (US)

WD-40's Mirage - '15 Mitsubushi Mirage ES
Mitsubishi
90 day: 46.05 mpg (US)

WD-40's Sonata Hybrid - '17 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Limited
I have been thinking of doing this ever since I first saw an early Insight.
I believe that you will need to follow the insights lines to get the desired effects, start up higher just below the top of wheel arch.
I also believe that a semi flexible plastic would be more durable.
Either way I can't wait to see your results, goodonya for running where us mere mortals fear to tread.

OG VX (05-15-2015)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-15-2015, 10:38 PM   #372 (permalink)
JDM hypeR mileR

The OG VX - '92 Honda Civic VX
Team Honda
90 day: 68.64 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilwilly75 View Post
OG VX, Question for you on the Acura RSX that you built. Could I put an E-VTEC engine and transmission in an RSX? If so, what would be my hang ups?
Hey there, I loved the RSX. Quality car with a great and powerful engine (K20A). I also loved the buttery smooth 6-speed tranny bolted to it. However, the one thing that was not-so good about the car: it was HEAVY. I believe the DC5 chassis weighed in at nearly 3800 lbs, or so (could be wrong).

As Victor stated, the wiring and chassis modifications would surely be intense. Even if they could all be pulled off, the D15Z1 engine does not have enough power/torque to get that monster chassis around town, yet alone with any kind of respectable fuel economy.
"Yesterday as I was going in to the shop, I came upon a recently killed Armadillo in the middle of the road with one front leg sticking up. As I passed over him he "High Fived" my air dam. I thought that showed a great attitude on his part." -The Donkey CRX

Old 05-15-2015, 11:24 PM   #373 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Thanked 1,121 Times in 679 Posts

An easy way to fill the gap is to just add a piece of coroplast cut to shape - but where is the fun in that, right ?

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with !
The Following User Says Thank You to Cd For This Useful Post:
OG VX (05-16-2015)
Old 05-16-2015, 08:54 AM   #374 (permalink)
JDM hypeR mileR

Team Honda
^^ Yes sir! That is awesome. Love the shark-tooth design there also

I've thought about adding something similar, but it doesn't follow the projects "JDM" theme very well. A key goal from the beginning was that the car can live somewhat inbetween two worlds: In the Honda tuning scene, but yet also contain many techniques/mods that are very specific (only) to the EcoTuning crowd. I'm hoping to pull some Honda heads over to EcoModding with this project.

The reason that the mods I have for the fenders work well in the Honda tuning scene is that there are a few companies already making fenders that incorporate the cut-out design. Originally, companies like Jays Racing and Spoon Sports began making true and aggressively designed cut-out fenders for the S2000. This arrived about 5 years back, and while not completely warmly welcomed at first, they are really catching some heat now with the JDM scene, as tuners realize the true aero benefits to them. Recently, Charge Speed fenders have also become popular with a few other Honda chassis owners (EG, DC5, EK). These fenders are somewhat similar looking to what we may have seen in the "ricer" era, but they are actually functional and track tested. Not my flavor exactly, but cool nonetheless.

So, I believe it's a good time to for me to try and complete this mod. The mod should be well-received at Honda Day IF I can pull it off.

I THOUGHT my work truck was arriving at the beginning of this week, allowing me the luxury of leaving the VX at the house. However, it now looks like it won't come until this coming Friday, and the company is unable to provide me with a rental. So, driving the VX without any fenders + bumper for a few days may be on the horizon
"Yesterday as I was going in to the shop, I came upon a recently killed Armadillo in the middle of the road with one front leg sticking up. As I passed over him he "High Fived" my air dam. I thought that showed a great attitude on his part." -The Donkey CRX

The Following User Says Thank You to OG VX For This Useful Post:
Cd (05-16-2015)
Old 05-16-2015, 09:08 AM   #375 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Dino - '93 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 43.65 mpg (US)

White Shadow - '15 Toyota Prius C Two
90 day: 50.69 mpg (US)
Super excited for this! Love reading through this thread, always full of very useful information and great ideas flawlessly executed!!!

sorry to hear about the driving situation not working out...so much for the upcoming mileage...
Old 05-16-2015, 09:48 AM   #376 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

'Stache Builder - '92 Honda Civic VX
90 day: 42.58 mpg (US)

White Dwarf - '09 Mazda 5
90 day: 28.87 mpg (US)
Very nice work! I just bought a "Milano Pink" '92 VX. We are moving and my commute is going from 12 miles to 35 miles (but saving 100k on a house). In addition to everything else, you've inspired me to try to save the paint, instead of just leaving it or primering it. The EG sure looks great all shiny! I will be busy the next couple of months with the move, but I will be vicariously watching your progress until I can get started on mine.

The Following User Says Thank You to Hatchtastic For This Useful Post:
OG VX (05-16-2015)
Old 05-16-2015, 10:45 PM   #377 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Winsight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Miaderp - '95 Mazda Miata
90 day: 28.53 mpg (US)
Here you go OG VX. Turbocharged Insight - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

He runs 6psi of boost. I highly recommend this if you do city driving or have hills you have to tackle.

The Following User Says Thank You to Baltothewolf For This Useful Post:
OG VX (05-17-2015)
Old 05-18-2015, 03:39 PM   #378 (permalink)
JDM hypeR mileR

Team Honda
Update 5/18/15: Interior Restoration Part One- Carpet Restoration:

All, since I have to drive the car this week, I opted to wait a few days to start exterior work. In the interim, I decided to begin the interior restoration work for the next several days, and finally get that done. While I haven't done much work to the interior, I've been procuring parts for months. I now have pretty much everything I need, so I've begun my resto work.

I began taking the car on a nice "diet"

How I organized the bolts and little bits:

I picked up some very clean 92-96 Prelude seats that I found for cheap on CL. They do not bolt up easily, I now find... BUT, I found a helpful thread here, and I'm going to keep pressing forward with them!

Lots of adjustment abilities/knobs. Very comfy, and fairly aggressively bolstered. Also, they are very close to black in color, which is important aesthetically, for my interior theme.

Then, rolled over to JoAnne's, used a 50% off coupon, and picked up 7'x5' of black headliner material to turn the stock gray headliner into plush black.

I'm also going to give a go at adding some green stitching to the existing fabric on the door cards (after first dying the fabric black). Picked this thread up to match the green accents theme:

I then picked up my favorite carpet paints, glues, and plastic primer + spray dyes. Notice the Loctite Professional. Lowes: $10 per can. I've NEVER had good luck with doing headliners using the ever-so-popular 3M Super 77 or Permatex Headliner & Carpet Glue. While I LOVE the (old; adjustable) Permatex cans, neither it nor the Super 77 stood up well to summer heat, and the headliner would always sag withing 6 months or so in a few spots, especially with the Super 77. We'll, I'm hoping since the Loctite product is marked as heat-resistant on the can, that it will hold up better. Time will tell...

Removed the carpet:

Vacumed the carpet:

Used these in the vacuum process:

Took the (vacuumed) carpet down to my local coin-wash and pressured washed it. WOW! What a difference this made, and made the job CAKE, as compared to rinsing out the dirt with a garden hose, as I have done in the past. Took about 8 minutes worth of cleaning, or $2 x 2 for me at my wash.

Back at the house, I let the sun do the rest of the work:

As you can see, the carpet came out SUPER fresh.

Rust Inspection: PASSED. No rust to speak of on this VX.

Drove the VX to work today, no carpet nor seats (except the driver seat, duh!). I wanted to see how she would perform with weight reduction. I was both surprised and encouraged with the results. Pretty nuts difference (about 4-5 mpg shown on the highway).

My friends, until next time, thank YOU for ecoTuning in!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to OG VX For This Useful Post:
AbramWagner (05-19-2015), BabyDiesel (05-18-2015), Daox (05-18-2015), lilwilly75 (05-20-2015), MetroMPG (05-19-2015), spacemanspif (05-18-2015)
Old 05-19-2015, 04:26 PM   #379 (permalink)
09 Toyo Yaris HB (Huevos)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltothewolf View Post
Hook up your rear windshield sprayer to spray vegetable oil or paint thinner, and face it backwards hehehehehehehehh. Someone flicks their brights at you and kablooie!! I'm kidding of course.
Right idea wrong solvent. Make it MEK instead. It will fix the issue in short order.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:31 PM   #380 (permalink)
RPM
EcoModding Lurker

JF - '97 Honda Civic 1.5i LS VTEC (EK3)
Team Honda
90 day: 59.68 mpg (US)
Hi, congratulations on the project! You seem extremely proficient in all matters DIY!

I am familiar with pretty much every nut and bolt on an EG (I'm restoring an EG6) and something jumped out at me when I saw your last set of pictures. Your car doesn't seem to have any sound deadening material attached to the floor. Do VXs come like that from the factory or were they removed at some point?