Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2015, 10:07 AM   #271 (permalink)
JDM hypeR mileR

The OG VX - '92 Honda Civic VX
Team Honda
90 day: 68.64 mpg (US)
Thanks spacemanspif, that's good advice. I do have plans to add tint. Hopefully sooner than later. I can't decide between 35 and something more agressive (illegal) like 20% or so.

"Yesterday as I was going in to the shop, I came upon a recently killed Armadillo in the middle of the road with one front leg sticking up. As I passed over him he "High Fived" my air dam. I thought that showed a great attitude on his part." -The Donkey CRX

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-12-2015, 08:45 PM   #272 (permalink)
Spaced out...

The New Focus - '07 Ford Focus ZX5
90 day: 32.44 mpg (US)
It's hard to argue against the law when some is allowed. We are allowed anything on the back windows but nothing on the front doors. Is the 35% law just for the fronts or all windows? I've got the Focus done in 20% all the way around with a 5% brow. Cops here don't really pull you over for tint but don't hesitate to add another ticket when you get pulled over for something else...

2007 Ford Focus ZX5 - 91k - SGII, pending upper and lower grill bocks - auto trans
1987 Monte Carlo SS - 5.3/4L80E swap - 13.67 @ 106
2007 Ford Focus Estate - 230k - 33mpg - Retired 4/2018
1995 Saturn SL2 - 256K miles - 44mpg - Retired 9/2014

Cost to Operate Spreadsheet for "The New Focus"

Old 02-13-2015, 05:55 PM   #273 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Chorizo has the legal tint. Bacon has the same level that the local law enforcement uses. I have not been stopped in Bacon and my ex would not have told me if she was, although I had thought that you needed to show compliance, not just pay a fine.
Old 02-20-2015, 08:58 AM   #274 (permalink)
JDM hypeR mileR

Team Honda
Update 2/19/2015- Parts Acquisition + Sparco Racing Seat Restoration

Hello all,
As I have said in the past, I feel as though I spend twice as long in the planning/parts acquisition process as I do actually turning wrenches on a project. This month has proven to be no exception to that rule. I started by making a list of all parts needed for “Stage 2” of the build. I then prioritized things out, based off of price-point and need/desire. Next, I got to work “acquiring” stuff.

Parts Ordered/Acquired for Stage Two of Build:

Large flat cardboard sheet to fab-up rear end aero:

Delivered last week from Stock Car Steel, Mooresville NC -
(2 large sheets of 20 guage steel + PlexiGlass)

Rivet Nuts, Stainless Allen-Head bolts, and Anodized Washers to mount aero pieces.

5x7’ CF Vinyl for roof and grill/fog/antenna blocks plus mirror deletes

Green Stitch Steering wheel cover ; Italian leather. Delivered from the UK.

Ordered two of these. One for transmission shifter. One for...

Glass-mount powered antenna + Ipod audio adaptor for my JVC radio

..and (random, but I’ll include): for our truck:

4x4 Side Decal Stripes

Finally, I got lucky on CL the other day, pulling this Sparco seat home two hours after running into the post. I was able to work a GREAT deal on it, so I just couldn’t pass it up. It will replace my ripped up OEM drivers’ seat. I was having a lot of trouble finding a matching OEM replacement (that wasn't also ripped). I’ll keep looking, but until then, I’ll try out a real “race seat”, for once.
I got it home, and started the “restore” of the seat a few days later.

Now, I just need this cold weather to break. We (finally) got real winter weather over here in NC.

Be back soon with a post about the first round of the seat install, which is now complete: Restoration & Repair.

Thanks for EcoTuning in!
"Yesterday as I was going in to the shop, I came upon a recently killed Armadillo in the middle of the road with one front leg sticking up. As I passed over him he "High Fived" my air dam. I thought that showed a great attitude on his part." -The Donkey CRX

Old 02-20-2015, 01:33 PM   #275 (permalink)
JDM hypeR mileR

Team Honda
Update 2/20/2015- Sparco Racing Seat Part One: Restoration & Repair

Here’s a pic of the rips in my current seat. Thus the need for a replacement.

Here’s the seat I got on CL for dirt cheap, as received. I usually would not have gone for this, but (1) I love a good restoration project, and (2) I got it so cheap that, I believe now that I have it “fixed”, I could flip this for about 200% to 250% profit.

As can be seen, a few small flaws: a “clean” rip on left side upper bolster; two small cigarette burn holes on the back rest. There is also a small amount of “wiggle” in the seat adjustment mechanism.

Step one was to get the cover off of the seat.

A small rip was present beneath the cover, on the fabric piece that holds the foam tight to the frame on the side bolster. This needed to be repaired as well.

My next step was to vacuum and clean/degrease the seat. While doing this, I decided to go ahead and clean off my floor mats as well. I’m dying them black to match the carpet. I’m also adding a few other touches to them, which I’ll include in a future post. I needed to get them all clean and to a uniform color prior to dying.

Once all was agitated with a nylon brush and then vacuumed, I moved forward by degreasing everything with Super Clean. I, then, followed cleaning everything with a mild dish detergent and rag. Finally, I rinsed everything clean with a good soak of water.

Everything was left outside to dry overnight, sans the seat cover, which I dried in my dryer inside so that I could move forward quickly with the repair work. It should be noted that I added a thick blanket/thrown and a heavy cotton jacket into the dryer, just to absorb some of the heat and protect the cover from abuse in the dryer. Dried on medium setting for about 45 minutes.

After the cover was dried, I sewed the cover back together from the inside.

I then “patched” the burn holes with some cut pieces of black iron-on patches and light exposure with a heat gun. They were placed on the underside of the cover, covering the hole from the backside and assuring against future spread of the burn hole/tear.

Finally, I re-assmebled the seat.

Part One is now complete. The seat looks and feels much better.

I hope to begin Part Two this weekend, which will be fitting the seat to the OEM EG rails/sliders. I will post how I do it. Basically, I have some thick 3/16” steel and a bunch of grade 8 and 10.6 bolts that I secured at my local fastener store.

I’ll update accordingly. Thanks for EcoTuning in!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OG VX For This Useful Post:
bluesteel93 (02-23-2015), Daox (02-23-2015), vrmouseyd15b (02-20-2015)
Old 02-20-2015, 07:52 PM   #276 (permalink)
ALL UP ON THE INTERWEB!!!

skidmark - super snail - '89 honda civic wagon WAGOVAN
Team "Old SKOOL"
90 day: 30.87 mpg (US)

Pituca - '19 Honda Insight Touring
90 day: 39.34 mpg (US)
Looks cool dude! I can't wait to see your take on the donkey crx's kammback! I've been looking into a "drag wing" that could be adjusted for nice aero with minimal ugly for the Wagon. I'm not at that OG level yet to make my own and have it look good..

Thanks,
Victor

The Following User Says Thank You to vrmouseyd15b For This Useful Post:
OG VX (02-22-2015)
Old 02-20-2015, 08:46 PM   #277 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Turtle - '94 Honda Civic VX
Team Honda
90 day: 48.37 mpg (US)

SVO - '86 Ford Mustang SVO
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 22.03 mpg (US)
Nice work! That seat looks 10x better. I also can't wait to see the kammback. Keep it up!

The Following User Says Thank You to bluesteel93 For This Useful Post:
OG VX (02-22-2015)
Old 02-22-2015, 06:18 PM   #278 (permalink)
JDM hypeR mileR

Team Honda
Update 2/22/15: Read-End Aero (Finally) ; Part One

A lot going on right now. Had my birthday last night.

Things settled down a bit today, and I finally had some time + good weather to start the rear-end Aero. As mentioned before, I'm using "The Donkey CRX" rear-end designs.

First, I sat down and mock things up. After a bit of sketching, this is what settled on. A good bit of Donkey's stuff, a bit of OG spice, and a touch of NASA.

Last "before" pic.

Getting started:

I'm using "Contractor Paper" from Lowes. Got a big 'ol roll for $10. It's the jam for roughing up designs. It's also great for masking. The finished designs will then go to cardboard for further testing, and then finally the 20 guage steel.

I'll update once I have more. That's it for now. Son woke up early from nap, and all hell broke loose inside the house from the misses. So, I swooped in and saved the day. The first side aero will have to get finished later...maybe tonight.

Younger readers: Successful build = you happy, but momma happier!

Speaking of which, I gussied our truck a bit for her. New 4x4 decals came in. Not the matte-black I ordered. Didn't realize it until the first one was on . These were, easily, the toughest decal I've ever had to put on, not really sure why. I had to pray a couple of times...

Until next time, as always, thank YOU for EcoTuning in!

The Following User Says Thank You to OG VX For This Useful Post:
bluesteel93 (02-23-2015)
Old 02-23-2015, 12:28 PM   #279 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Turtle - '94 Honda Civic VX
Team Honda
90 day: 48.37 mpg (US)

SVO - '86 Ford Mustang SVO
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 22.03 mpg (US)
Looking good. Happy Birthday man!!

The Following User Says Thank You to bluesteel93 For This Useful Post:
OG VX (02-23-2015)
Old 02-23-2015, 10:34 PM   #280 (permalink)
JDM hypeR mileR

Team Honda
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesteel93 View Post
Looking good. Happy Birthday man!!
Thanks man! I appreciate it. It was a great birthday. Love me some mexican food!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrmouseyd15b View Post
Looks cool dude! I can't wait to see your take on the donkey crx's kammback! I've been looking into a "drag wing" that could be adjusted for nice aero with minimal ugly for the Wagon. I'm not at that OG level yet to make my own and have it look good..

Thanks,
Victor
You under-rate yourself! Try this contractor paper stuff. I really like working with it. Makes the mock-up process a good bit easier than trying to work with cardboard (first).

Reply  Post New Thread