Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2015, 11:15 PM   #431 (permalink)
ALL UP ON THE INTERWEB!!!

skidmark - super snail - '89 honda civic wagon WAGOVAN
Team "Old SKOOL"
90 day: 30.87 mpg (US)

Pituca - '19 Honda Insight Touring
90 day: 39.34 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OG VX View Post
Thank you my friend! I was really surprised by the quality of the bedliner, given the price.

Hope your well!

Yes, thank you! That car is looking sick! I've been too busy with cool stuff like 6th birthday parties and hanging with family to get into the garage for anything more than shop talk and talks of what could be recently. Family first, the car won't complain near as much as I can!

I really like the undercoating idea under the carpeting, another of yours I'll copy and put my "ugly" on it. .
Thanks,
Victor

The Following User Says Thank You to vrmouseyd15b For This Useful Post:
OG VX (07-21-2015)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-28-2015, 11:55 PM   #432 (permalink)
JDM hypeR mileR

The OG VX - '92 Honda Civic VX
Team Honda
90 day: 68.64 mpg (US)
Update 7/28/2015: Interior Restoration Continued + Misc. Exterior Details

Hello all, just a bit of an update to keep the thread going.

First off, since the VX isn't hitting the roads daily nowadays, I gave the thing a good wash and found it a car cover. Was supposed to be a "size 2" cover, but thanks to the eco mods, needed a "size 3" cover

Now you see it:

Now you don't:

Also, I finished getting the fender liner's back on. I'm ashamed to post these results, but... it is what it is. My only excuse for the Amateur-Hour results below is (1) It was hot outside and I was tired and (2) it was just hard to line up the cuts.

Ugly in 3...

The other side is about the same, so I'll spare you all another picture. However, all said, the air flow is still better I hope than with no fender liners at all.

Next order of business was to modify the OEM bra. Many of you commented about the little spoilers integrated in to the bra possibly upsetting aero. So, I took them off. Just need to have a seamstress sew back up the front liner, and the bra can be re-installed with a smooth aero now.

Then, I decided to paint the face of the MPGuino amber with some translucent Tamiya model paint. Came out pretty awesome. Amber glow now at night versus the red. Now matches the rest of the dash lights.

Then, I made a quick-disconnect for the fan, as my wife hates riding with it.

I also wired and installed a powered windshield mount antenna.

Then, I made some brackets to get a golf cart mirror in place. I won't say "Wink" because this is not a fan-boy mod for me. For an eco-build, it's actually quite functional. No stickers will be placed on my mirror, but if you do that kind of thing, I certainly don't judge you.

The brackets are made to tie in with the OEM visor mounting holes on the left side, and with the existing fan mount I made months ago on the right side.

Brackets got primer + Rustoleum Hammered dark-granite paint (to match the fan mount I did months ago).

Finished results are great. Awesome visibility with no outside mirrors. No more goofy blind spot mirrors on the glass like I had before, and there is no interference fitment-wise with the "EcoolBreeze" fan set up.

Then, I re-installed the headliner, and FINALLY got the black-dyed interior bits back in.

And to wrap up this post, I started restoring my door card panels and OEM floor mats. I opted to dye them all, and (so far) I'm glad I did. I wanted OEM mats, but they didn't come in black for the EG, only the EK (at least to my knowledge).

I used this product, as I have had great success with it before:

Also, I followed this tutorial, which I put together on an RSX forum years ago, in case any were wondering what and how: Link is here

^ Crazy that I made that post back in 2012 and members there are still doing and uploading their own pics. It's now pretty tried and true. Give it a shot on your own carpets!

While removing the fabric from the door cards, noticed my door card plastic says "CTR" on the mold stamp. Civic Type R? Hey, just goes to show for VX owners... "If it's not a Type R, it's not a tight car!"

Anyway!...Here's the before pics of the pieces:

During (painted on the left, not painted on the right)

And after:

I'll finish the mats restoration by placing a large black vinyl heel pad on the drivers side that I ordered online months ago for about $6 plus shipping. I'll post on that install process with pics on a future post.

Lots of other things to do for August. I'll try to keep busy with stuff and keep posting.

Until next post, thank YOU for ecoTuning in!
"Yesterday as I was going in to the shop, I came upon a recently killed Armadillo in the middle of the road with one front leg sticking up. As I passed over him he "High Fived" my air dam. I thought that showed a great attitude on his part." -The Donkey CRX

Last edited by OG VX; 07-29-2015 at 12:03 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OG VX For This Useful Post:
AbramWagner (08-01-2015), California98Civic (08-01-2015)
Old 07-29-2015, 12:47 AM   #433 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
I am honestly surprised that painting carpet went that well! Good job!

When you say that airflow is better with your modified fenders, how do you measure that?
The Following User Says Thank You to Xist For This Useful Post:
OG VX (07-29-2015)
Old 07-29-2015, 11:25 AM   #434 (permalink)
JDM hypeR mileR

Team Honda
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
I am honestly surprised that painting carpet went that well! Good job!

When you say that airflow is better with your modified fenders, how do you measure that?
Thanks Xlist. I was quite surprised too a few years back when I first did my RSX carpets with this method. The key is in the process of how you do it (see link). By brushing the carpets with a stiff brush while painting, the paint/dye gets in deep and doesn't turn out stiff/crunchy.

As far as the fenders, what I meant is that the fenders are better off with the plastic fender liners than without. The liners catch the air and channel it to the fender recession/modification that I made. Without the liners, I believe the air as not directed towards those recessions as effectively.
"Yesterday as I was going in to the shop, I came upon a recently killed Armadillo in the middle of the road with one front leg sticking up. As I passed over him he "High Fived" my air dam. I thought that showed a great attitude on his part." -The Donkey CRX

Old 08-01-2015, 06:28 AM   #435 (permalink)
JDM hypeR mileR

Team Honda
Update 8/1/2015- Floor Mats Done + Custom Vinyl

Floor mats are now done. Here's how I finished off the drivers floor mat with a large vinyl heel pad...

What I was left with after last post:

Here's the large vinyl heel pad and a tube of Liquid Nails Heavy Duty contact cement:

Basically, I took a caulking gun and applied the contact cement liberally to the bottom of the vinyl heel pad, running it about .5" from the perimeter/edge of the pad and all throughout the center. Then, I pressed and rolled the pad onto the mat with a clean paint roller...

Then, I let it dry with some weighted objects on top over night:

..and Voila! Good to go

Then, I headed to D.I.G. (Designer Ink Graphics) in downtown Mooresville, NC to pick up the custom vinyl graphics to finish off the exterior. This has been about an 8 month long part of this project for me. Glad to see them finally hit print

I'll start installing them asap and get up some pics.

Until next post, thank YOU for ecoTuning in!

BabyDiesel (08-01-2015), California98Civic (08-01-2015)
Old 08-01-2015, 10:59 AM   #436 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
These are great posts as usual. I love it when members post their "failures" as well as successes. I actually think it is important so we can all see how difficult it is to be precise. Or something like that... a question... how do you lioe that powered antenna? Is it in the windshield or kaybe the rear window? ...love the dye on the oem carpets ... thanks for the product cites for reference. Really useful thread.

GREAT looking project.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
OG VX (08-01-2015)
Old 08-01-2015, 02:35 PM   #437 (permalink)
JDM hypeR mileR

Team Honda
Update: 8/1/2015- Decal Install Part One

Got most of the decals on the car today! Had a yard sale too, just did the decals while people were in and out. Had some eco-conversations with people too, which was nice.

I'll let the pictures do most of the talking, but overall, the quality of the decals + install process was great.

Here's an EcoModder windshield banner I created. It was printed on perforated vinyl, which was also laminated at the shop for extra protection.

Also, I recreated the Civic VX rear hatch decal, but with a few eco twists

Next, I spoofed the JDM SiR door decals, but switched them up a good bit for my application.

Here's a picture of the original OEM Sir Honda door decals, which I pulled off of the ICB Motorsports website.

...and here's a special OG VX eco-rendition!

...and here's the rest of the decals I have yet to install. The large one is for the roof. It will be placed atop a Carbon Fiber vinyl that is on the way from Cali. The other four will go on the smooth wheel covers that I hope to make in the coming months.

More to come. Until then, thank YOU for ecoTuning in!

Last edited by OG VX; 08-01-2015 at 02:41 PM..
AbramWagner (08-01-2015), BabyDiesel (08-01-2015)
Old 08-01-2015, 02:38 PM   #438 (permalink)
JDM hypeR mileR

Team Honda
Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
These are great posts as usual. I love it when members post their "failures" as well as successes. I actually think it is important so we can all see how difficult it is to be precise. Or something like that... a question... how do you lioe that powered antenna? Is it in the windshield or kaybe the rear window? ...love the dye on the oem carpets ... thanks for the product cites for reference. Really useful thread.

GREAT looking project.
Such kind words. Thank you sir! I really appreciate all of your support throughout my build so far. Means a lot.

As for the antenna, the wiring got router down the passenger a pillar and connected to the cigarette lighter harness

Last edited by OG VX; 08-01-2015 at 04:28 PM..
Old 08-01-2015, 10:00 PM   #439 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hatch - '86 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 50.81 mpg (US)

Sedan - '92 Honda Civic Lx
Team Honda
90 day: 59.43 mpg (US)
You do Great work!
Old 08-01-2015, 11:27 PM   #440 (permalink)
Lean Burn Cruiser!

Big Blazin' - '88 Chevrolet K5 Blazer Silverado
SUV
90 day: 14.97 mpg (US)

Chili - '00 Honda Insight
Gen-1 Insights
Team Honda
House of Tudor
Team Streamliner
90 day: 72.29 mpg (US)
I get back on after a short hiatus, and witness this. Marvelous work OG!!!

Remember, thank a fellow EM'er for a helpful post!!!
I hypermile better in my cowboy boots

Past threads:
ZX2 modding thread
Ecomodder's Top 10: How they do it!
ZX2 Aerodynamics: Shooting for 0.15 Cd
ZX2 coast-down testing for Cd & Crr
The Following User Says Thank You to BabyDiesel For This Useful Post:
OG VX (08-02-2015)
Reply  Post New Thread