Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2022, 11:05 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Black Bullet - '19 Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
It's like reading tea leaves.

I'd speculate that there is a separation bubble at 10 o'clock (relative to axle center). It's smaller down toward 8 o'clock.

The longitudinal flow across the top generates a vortex that is drawn downward at two o'clock.

The road spray angles upward because water has more momentum than air.

*They need to fix the spell checker.
I wonder what’s causing the separation bubble. I figured the air would be nicely attached coming across both doors. Especially with no side mirror and air curtains. I definitely need to add a fender flare or separation edge at the bottom rear of the bumper. You can see where it slightly wraps around the curve going towards the bumper. A few inches of air flow wrapping around the back versus separating has what affect on drag? Now that’s the tough question. I don’t even know if a difference could be measured with such a small change like that. I know “ every bit adds up” though

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-08-2022, 11:26 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,607 Times in 7,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksa8907
Perhaps there is enough low pressure attached to the ground behind the vehicle drawing the air at the side downward as well?
The wake generally dies down to the ground, despite air injected from underneath?

Quote:
I wonder what’s causing the separation bubble.
I don't have the advantage of being able to see it in 3D, but I'd look for a step or forward facing edge.

Old 10-08-2022, 11:43 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
The wake generally dies down to the ground, despite air injected from underneath?

I don't have the advantage of being able to see it in 3D, but I'd look for a step or forward facing edge.
Maybe we can meet up in oregon when I come back and you can check out the car and give any in person advice.

I definitely need to smooth the underside more
Old 10-08-2022, 11:48 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Also I tried some “ throttle stop” testing with a wood block on the empty flat high speed Texas roads going 85 mph. Julian always advocates for it and some others. I did the baseline “ windows up” versus “ windows down” test. Made no difference. A few cases 85 would drop down to 84 and that’s it. Several times the speed was unchanged. I even tried installing a gps app on my phone and track with kilometers since it should show a speed change. 128km and would stay the same. No even drop to 127

I saw some people say that modern cars have a throttle that adjusts or something. But with the throttle stop wooden brick under the pedal, speed would still decrease going up hill or increase going down hill or drafting if a semi got in front of me. So no idea what that all means

Either way, throttle stop testing doesn’t work in a Hyundai Ioniq, or having all 4 windows down going 85 mph with a slight head wind and the inside of the cabin sounding like a hurricane combined with an explosion and almost ripping my glasses off my face has absolutely no effect on drag haha
Old 10-09-2022, 11:15 AM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,607 Times in 7,088 Posts
Quote:
Maybe we can meet up in oregon when I come back and you can check out the car and give any in person advice.
Coburg Pizza on Olympic in Springfield has pizza by the slice everyday until 3PM.

I have a standing offer -- a slice on me for anyone who will take the time. It's a ploy to keep people away from the Fortress of Solitude.

Old 10-09-2022, 11:39 AM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Coburg Pizza on Olympic in Springfield has pizza by the slice everyday until 3PM.

I have a standing offer -- a slice on me for anyone who will take the time. It's a ploy to keep people away from the Fortress of Solitude.
I’ll take you up on that next time I pass that area going gold panning on the rogue river
The Following User Says Thank You to Phase For This Useful Post:
freebeard (10-09-2022)
Old 10-09-2022, 11:41 AM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Cruise control at 80mph in east Texas with no wind and small rolling hills netted about 49/50mpg with my two aero mods
Old 10-09-2022, 02:04 PM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thru flat Louisiana

75 mpg CC puts me at 53mpg. Turning on ac only drops average down to 52 mpg. Barely a hit for some AC on the highway

Shocked more than the diff between 75 and 80 mph on the highway is only a few small mpg hits. I’m assuming the gap isn’t that big since the hybrid power train is mostly using the engine at these speeds and only switches to ev mode for a few seconds
Old 10-09-2022, 07:37 PM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,178 Times in 807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase View Post
Thru flat Louisiana

75 mpg CC puts me at 53mpg. Turning on ac only drops average down to 52 mpg. Barely a hit for some AC on the highway

Shocked more than the diff between 75 and 80 mph on the highway is only a few small mpg hits. I’m assuming the gap isn’t that big since the hybrid power train is mostly using the engine at these speeds and only switches to ev mode for a few seconds
I go 80-85 often in the Sonata and on a nice flat road with little wind I get about 1.5 to 2 miles of pure EV mode. I need to pay attention to how often it triggers. Seems like once every 6-10 miles but I haven't really paid close enough attention. There also aren't that many flat stretches more than about 10 miles.
Old 10-10-2022, 01:48 AM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
I go 80-85 often in the Sonata and on a nice flat road with little wind I get about 1.5 to 2 miles of pure EV mode. I need to pay attention to how often it triggers. Seems like once every 6-10 miles but I haven't really paid close enough attention. There also aren't that many flat stretches more than about 10 miles.
Yeah all these slight rolling hills kick me out of ev mode

Also it takes a lot longer for the engine to charge to ev battery at higher speeds. So it’s like 5 minutes of engine running and slowly charging the ev battery just to get 20 seconds of ev battery then back into engine mode

I even lowered my speed a bit once I got into Alabama with cc set to 72-72mph since apparently Hyundai designed the ev battery to only run at 75mph in perfect conditions and at that load. I was still getting about 50mpg. This trip is frustrating. Barely any change in elevation or winds and my mpg is almost the same between 70 and 80mph. I swear my west to east coast trip last year gave higher mpg and that was with both side mirrors on and no wheel covers and the ac on the whole time….

Reply  Post New Thread