Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Off-Topic Tech
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2014, 07:35 PM   #191 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Volt, gas only - '12 Chevrolet Volt Premium
90 day: 38.02 mpg (US)

Volt, electric only - '12 Chevrolet Volt Premium
90 day: 132.26 mpg (US)

Yukon Denali Hybrid - '12 GMC Yukon Denali Hybrid
90 day: 21.48 mpg (US)
I still can't believe it took this long and this much effort to find out that somebody wired the fans backwards. I can't help but laugh a little at it.

The Following User Says Thank You to ksa8907 For This Useful Post:
Cobb (09-21-2014)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-21-2014, 07:57 PM   #192 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Yo balto, here is your bill. I have around 48 posts in this single thread. How about YOU go back to the very beginning and on each of my posts, click the thunbs up thank you at the bottom right of each post.

Balance due.

regards
mech
The Following User Says Thank You to user removed For This Useful Post:
Baltothewolf (09-21-2014)
Old 09-21-2014, 08:07 PM   #193 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Winsight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Miaderp - '95 Mazda Miata
90 day: 28.53 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
Yo balto, here is your bill. I have around 48 posts in this single thread. How about YOU go back to the very beginning and on each of my posts, click the thunbs up thank you at the bottom right of each post.

Balance due.

regards
mech
Done! Lemme know if I missed any, I don't think I did. Anyway, I figured out why it was pushing water into the recovery bottle when I was bleeding it, radiator cap thar came with the radiator was bad. I put the one from my old radiator on there (OEM cap) and it works just fine now.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Baltothewolf For This Useful Post:
RedDevil (09-22-2014), user removed (09-22-2014)
Old 09-21-2014, 08:40 PM   #194 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
The cap is what I thought, since it is supposed to hold pressure. Good on ya for figuring that out and thanks for the thanks. Now make sure you give Pop a huge hug and a nice meal. Learn from his observation and keep at the thought processes like testing the old radiator flow against the new one. That establishes an absolute "you know it is bad" knowledge and over a lifetime it can save you a whole lot of money. Thank Pop for me because if it had not been for that single observation, you could have taken the cylinder head off and found nothing wrong.

The only thing else I need to read is that you have bled the system until there are no bubbles of any type, then your ordeal is over and you can climb any grade without any overheating, even with the AC running full blast, exactly how the cooling system worked on your car when it was brand new.

regards
mech

Last edited by user removed; 09-21-2014 at 08:46 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to user removed For This Useful Post:
Baltothewolf (09-21-2014)
Old 09-21-2014, 08:51 PM   #195 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltothewolf View Post
Done! Lemme know if I missed any, I don't think I did. Anyway, I figured out why it was pushing water into the recovery bottle when I was bleeding it, radiator cap thar came with the radiator was bad. I put the one from my old radiator on there (OEM cap) and it works just fine now.
So what does that have anything to do with the fan and its "polarity" as supposedly being wired "backwards"? Apparently the real problem of your overheating had nothing to do with that. Did it?

I still would like to hear a truthful answer as to who butchered the original wiring and added the wire nuts.

I don't care if anyone on this forum ever gives me thanks. I'm not here to garner and reap praise. I don't care who gets the credit. I only care that the problem gets solved. That's "the bottom line".

"Success has many fathers, but failure is an orphan".

BTW, if this problem should ever reoccur, I'll still try to help you. Although I question everything, including you, I'm not your enemy. Please remember that.
The Following User Says Thank You to XYZ For This Useful Post:
j12piprius (09-21-2014)
Old 09-21-2014, 08:57 PM   #196 (permalink)
Liberty Lover

pris prius - '12 Toyota plug in prius
90 day: 71.09 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by XYZ View Post
I don't care if anyone on this forum ever gives me thanks. I'm not here to garner and reap praise. I don't care who gets the credit. I only care that the problem gets solved. That's "the bottom line".

"Success has many fathers, but failure is an orphan".

BTW, if this problem should ever reoccur, I'll still try to help you. Although I question everything, including you, I'm not your enemy. Please remember that.
Well said.
The Following User Says Thank You to j12piprius For This Useful Post:
XYZ (09-21-2014)
Old 09-21-2014, 09:13 PM   #197 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlvs2run View Post
Well said.
Thank you.
Old 09-21-2014, 10:26 PM   #198 (permalink)
What brake pedal?

Silver Streak-5M - '05 Toyota Corolla S
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.41 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by XYZ View Post
I see you are from Northern Virginia. West Virginia has some notoriously "hard" water. That situation doesn't apply to everywhere else, however.
Evidently it applies to many areas. Seems to be a universal recommendation everywhere I look. For only 1.00 a gallon, seems well worth the investment

Can You Mix Tap Water with Engine Coolant? | CARCHEX Blog
Distilled Water - Safe for Engine?
Distilled water - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-21-2014, 10:48 PM   #199 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by digital rules View Post
Evidently it applies to many areas. Seems to be a universal recommendation everywhere I look. For only 1.00 a gallon, seems well worth the investment

Can You Mix Tap Water with Engine Coolant? | CARCHEX Blog
Distilled Water - Safe for Engine?
Distilled water - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I am the man who questions everything.

You looked on the internet, and you found "universal recommendation" there.

This brings to mind the old adage of "It MUST be true. I read it on the internet!"

That aside, now consider this question: before the internet existed, cars ran on antifreeze/coolant mixed with plain, tap water, with no problems from that. I've been doing that for 40 years or so. Two of my cars are over 20 years old, still run reliably and are roadworthy.

I assume you are young and believe what you read without questioning; but regardless - do you think that the tap water, mixed to dilute the formerly, only available, concentrated anti-freeze is in any way detrimental to the cooling system or the engine? Or do you accept the theory of it being somehow detrimental on "universal" belief?

Question #2: Assuming that it might possibly be detrimental (although there is no proof) do you think it would matter regarding the longevity of any component of the cooling system? Or would those components age and eventually fail anyway, due to eventual and inevitable age and mileage?

To quote from one of your sources of wisdom:
Quote:
"My choice for my 928's radiator is Texaco DexCool and distilled water.
If you want to use distilled water, run the hose from your home air conditioner condensate drain into a clean jug, then filter it with a clean coffee filter. Dehumidifier condensate works well also.
That is NOT distilled water! It's BS mixed with ignorance. Maybe we should consider calling it "holy water", because it's based upon belief, not fact.

Hey, if I were in the business of selling and marketing distilled water (or blogs based on misinformation, or promoting urban legends), I'd want everyone to believe and buy it, too!

Last edited by XYZ; 09-21-2014 at 11:00 PM..
Old 09-21-2014, 11:01 PM   #200 (permalink)
What brake pedal?

Silver Streak-5M - '05 Toyota Corolla S
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.41 mpg (US)
So ALL these people quoted are either wrong or snake oil salesman, even Pat Goss? I doubt it.

You can do what you whatever you want to your car, but I will spend the extra 2 dollars to give my car what the manufacturer recommends.

Reply  Post New Thread