Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2015, 05:47 PM   #2491 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
The Tesla/Ford Fusion throttle has the same 'sanity check'.

Moderating the application of torque prevents damage from shock loads on the drivetrain, according to Jack Rickard. Electric torque in milliseconds instead of the microseconds with a gas engine.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-29-2015, 12:27 AM   #2492 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Ford Prefect - '18 Ford F150 XLT XTR

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by e*clipse View Post
I think it would be best to have the user input completely software adjustable. This would allow easy adjustment for all throttle and brake behavior. I saw a review of the Lightening motorcycle where they spoke of the "accessable" power of the bike. The torque didn't come on immediately with a tiny twist of the throttle. This would make the bike very difficult to ride. I've also seen non-linear throttle curve parameters on controllers. Again, this will make the power and torque more accessable.
The software-configurable throttle idea was discussed a while back .. I think we agreed to agree. A separate controller that handles the throttle and brake signals, sends info to the controller, and processes data from the controller to drive the brake lights, configure acceleration curves, and regen signals from the throttle or the brake pedal, etc etc. Leave the AC controller to do it's thing with the motor and measure everything it can think of. I don't remember if there was another CPU to drive the dash ... I'll have to read back through the thread.

I think the topic was dropped shortly after that, but I still like it. Parallel development and all that ... but it COULD cause issues with tracking versions that are compatible with each other.
Old 12-29-2015, 12:33 AM   #2493 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
The Tesla/Ford Fusion throttle has the same 'sanity check'.

Moderating the application of torque prevents damage from shock loads on the drivetrain, according to Jack Rickard. Electric torque in milliseconds instead of the microseconds with a gas engine.
The throttle dual signals make a hard-wired solution for regen .. with the brake signal adjusting throttle signal below a certain threshold .. a bit more CHALLENGING shall we say.

The torque signal from the throttle applied to the motor can, IMHO, have a simple ramp rate applied to limit transmission-destroying step-changes of torque. I have not gotten to testing that as yet. I'm still trying to 'test' the hardware over-current ... or get over 450 amps AC through the controller. I expect that checking how fast the torque changes would be a GREAT test .. if I could figure out how to measure the output torque directly.

I'd settle for indirectly as well. The slope of the current on the DC motor maybe?

Ideas anyone?
The Following User Says Thank You to thingstodo For This Useful Post:
MPaulHolmes (12-30-2015)
Old 12-30-2015, 10:16 PM   #2494 (permalink)
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
I think the response with no ramping is about 50 amps in 1.2 milliseconds or so. But there is built in ramping ability. There's Throttle, which I call IqRefRef. Then there's also IqRef. IqRef is basically the torque at any given moment. But IqRef moves "slowly" to IqRefRef. I have a default ramp rate at the moment, but need to add more variety there.

Hey! I just bought a nissan leaf motor on Ebay for $550. That will give a nice test bed for your standard run of the mill permanent magnet AC motor. I did a resolver to encoder board that should be here soon. I can't wait to figure out the specs on the resolver.

I'm basically done with a new control/driver board that is an "update" to the other board. Not really an update, so much as a 2 layer version. Holy crap that was like giving birth to a full grown elephant keeping the ground plane mostly unbroken, and still doing all those tracks. This one only monitors 2 of the 3 phases (and had hardware overcurrent shutdown on them), but still has hardware desaturation shut down on all 6 IGBTs, so should be safe.
ocnorb (12-30-2015), thingstodo (12-30-2015)
Old 12-30-2015, 11:45 PM   #2495 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPaulHolmes View Post
I think the response with no ramping is about 50 amps in 1.2 milliseconds or so. But there is built in ramping ability. There's Throttle, which I call IqRefRef. Then there's also IqRef. IqRef is basically the torque at any given moment. But IqRef moves "slowly" to IqRefRef. I have a default ramp rate at the moment, but need to add more variety there.
Doesn't need to be fancy. The default may be OK .. I'm just not there yet.

Quote:
Hey! I just bought a nissan leaf motor on Ebay for $550. That will give a nice test bed for your standard run of the mill permanent magnet AC motor. I did a resolver to encoder board that should be here soon. I can't wait to figure out the specs on the resolver.
Congratulations! I have had NO luck bidding on Leaf parts up here. I might be able to get a wreck for about the cost of a motor, transmission and tires.

Quote:
I'm basically done with a new control/driver board that is an "update" to the other board. Not really an update, so much as a 2 layer version. Holy crap that was like giving birth to a full grown elephant keeping the ground plane mostly unbroken, and still doing all those tracks. This one only monitors 2 of the 3 phases (and had hardware overcurrent shutdown on them), but still has hardware desaturation shut down on all 6 IGBTs, so should be safe.
GREAT! PM me with a cost, or a parts list, or whatever.
MPaulHolmes (12-31-2015)
Old 01-04-2016, 12:51 AM   #2496 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Update for Dec 21

This is an addition to the safety of my test setup, an Emergency Stop slap switch

https://youtu.be/_rEIyofKuTc
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thingstodo For This Useful Post:
dave koller (01-04-2016), e*clipse (01-04-2016), MPaulHolmes (01-04-2016)
Old 01-06-2016, 12:55 PM   #2497 (permalink)
Ale Madeo

Question

Hi, I am a follower of the forum, and after a one month and a half i finished reading the 250 pages!
This is my first post and I am from Argentina, It's difficult to me understand everything in English.
I am a enthusiastic in this amazing world of electric cars and I 'm building my own controller (based on "Paul and Sabrina's" obviously).
I have many questions, but I'll just start with some ones:

1. Is updated the Github "MPaulHolmes" with the latest software? has the test performed by the PI test and saves the values in EPROM? Is there any repository with the latest changes to the hardware?

2. It is vital to use FILM capacitors? I am using electrolytic capacitors.

I'm an electronic technician and able to help you can get something at some point, although I see that you already have it more than clear on the matter.

Sorry for my English and already thank you very much!!
The Following User Says Thank You to ale0502 For This Useful Post:
Quattro64 (04-10-2019)
Old 01-06-2016, 02:30 PM   #2498 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by ale0502 View Post
Hi, I am a follower of the forum, and after a one month and a half i finished reading the 250 pages!
This is my first post and I am from Argentina, It's difficult to me understand everything in English.
Welcome!

Quote:
I am a enthusiastic in this amazing world of electric cars and I 'm building my own controller (based on "Paul and Sabrina's" obviously).
The Cougar controller (MOSFET based) or the maybe-not-yet-named IGBT controller?

Quote:
I have many questions, but I'll just start with some ones:

1. Is updated the Github "MPaulHolmes" with the latest software? has the test performed by the PI test and saves the values in EPROM? Is there any repository with the latest changes to the hardware?

2. It is vital to use FILM capacitors? I am using electrolytic capacitors.

I'm an electronic technician and able to help you can get something at some point, although I see that you already have it more than clear on the matter.

Sorry for my English and already thank you very much!!
Sorry - I can't answer these questions - Paul will have to chime in.
ale0502 (01-07-2016)
Old 01-06-2016, 10:37 PM   #2499 (permalink)
Ale Madeo

Hi thingstodo!
It's an AC motor controller with 4 to-3p igbt (FGA180N33AT) per phase.
Old 01-06-2016, 10:53 PM   #2500 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by ale0502 View Post
Hi thingstodo!
It's an AC motor controller with 4 to-3p igbt (FGA180N33AT) per phase.
That looks like a 180 Amp IGBT. So you have 720 amps per phase? Wow.

EDIT: Stupid question removed

Last edited by thingstodo; 01-07-2016 at 08:51 AM..
Reply  Post New Thread