Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2010, 11:15 AM   #451 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Wow, this is coming along great! I am itching to see what this spin some wheels.

EDIT: Well, it looks like plans keep on changing. I am sticking with my AC motor because another one will be coming my way! Along with possible a load of Solectria parts.

A dual motor AC setup in a Mini Cooper sounds very appealing to me right now.

Last edited by TheSGC; 12-06-2010 at 12:24 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-06-2010, 06:06 PM   #452 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

TheSGC, your mini conversion sounds interesting, you should definitely start a thread when you get started.
I have a R53 myself, which I've been looking at ev'ing soon, well... if Paul would hurry up.... kidding
Seriously, coupling two smaller torqie AC motors to the CV joints/shafts up front would work well I think....
Old 12-06-2010, 06:50 PM   #453 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedjag View Post
TheSGC, your mini conversion sounds interesting, you should definitely start a thread when you get started.
I have a R53 myself, which I've been looking at ev'ing soon, well... if Paul would hurry up.... kidding
Seriously, coupling two smaller torqie AC motors to the CV joints/shafts up front would work well I think....
I thought a Mini would be sweet, especially since all my driving is back roads and city, but I need more zip and something a little smaller to squeeze through crappy drivers. I am hoping to start the Mini this summer and have the motor/controller and charger all set before I go ahead on the conversion. I am hoping to get my second motor this week, then I will get started on a Dual 3 Phase controller once my finals end on December 13th.

I have been holding off on designing the controller because I didn't know if I was going to even use the AC motor in an EV, but now that it looks like it's in my future, I will have at it. I may even get some Solectria controllers that I can base some designs off of.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:36 PM   #454 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

WOW. Amazing project. I got bored when it got really slow, waayyyy back, and, just never got back to follow the progress.

Well done, Paul.

On another idea, has anyone checked out the Honda Insight Motors, on Ebay ?? They are designed where 2 or more motors could be mounted on 1 shaft, I believe. They sell for, around $300.00 each ?? Believe they are rated 30 HP each, or so ?? Could 2 be hooked to 1 controller ??
Old 12-10-2010, 07:33 AM   #455 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

EVVette - '71 Chevy Corvette Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaroldinCR View Post
WOW. Amazing project. I got bored when it got really slow, waayyyy back, and, just never got back to follow the progress.

Well done, Paul.

On another idea, has anyone checked out the Honda Insight Motors, on Ebay ?? They are designed where 2 or more motors could be mounted on 1 shaft, I believe. They sell for, around $300.00 each ?? Believe they are rated 30 HP each, or so ?? Could 2 be hooked to 1 controller ??
You would need to have 1 controller for each motor you have. But, each controller would be smaller because the motors are smaller.

-Adam

You can download RTD Explorer for the Cougar controllers at www.EVVette.com
Old 12-10-2010, 08:06 AM   #456 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
If their rotors and stators are aligned and in a fixed relationship, you can use one controller. Though thar be some engineering needed to do that, or even to re-purpose a single IMA
Old 12-10-2010, 04:22 PM   #457 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

PM motors are known to de-magnetize in decades, I'm thinking it could be risky to purchase used first gen IMA motors...
Old 12-23-2010, 03:07 AM   #458 (permalink)
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
I'm done with the fixture that I'm using to get all the mosfets placed right on the baseplate. Then the mosfet legs have to go through the power section. Maybe by tomorrow. Man, that stupid black board was like 10 hours of gcode writing today. And our stupid heater isnt' working, so it's been friggen freezing in the house since November! dang it! hahaha

Hurray the friggen finished product. I would punch it in the head if it wasn't so hard and useful.

The plan is to have the 18 mosfets' legs sticking through all the holes in the power section, but the mosfets have to be clamped down before that, so alignment would be an issue, getting all the stupid legs to go through the holes, so I use this black thing to tighten the bolts to clamp the mosfets down (through the big holes in it) and then once all of them are in place and through their correct holes, I take off the stupid black thing, and put on the power board, and solder them into place.

Last edited by MPaulHolmes; 12-23-2010 at 03:21 AM..
Old 12-23-2010, 10:21 AM   #459 (permalink)
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
So it's just a big jig?

That's great. A nice simple way to repeatedly do things right!

It also shows you are planning on making more than one.

Keep up the good work, Paul.

-Ben

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos
Old 12-23-2010, 02:35 PM   #460 (permalink)
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
jig! Man, it can really save time when you have the right vocabulary. Now I just need to attach the bus bars... I'm getting close to being done! oh heck ya. red knight going down... down down down.

Well, it will take a little bit of time to drill the bus bars. I might just take the weenie way out and solder some 10 gauge wire on there