Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free > Open ReVolt: open source DC motor controller
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2009, 09:08 AM   #1681 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggles View Post
...I have seen an awful lot of electronics over the years and can't remember anyone going to the effort of bending legs...
Are you serious? It happens all the time. You are seeing it now

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-12-2009, 09:08 AM   #1682 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Just been doing a little googling about expansion of copper.

What I have found is that a 1mm long piece of copper at 0 deg C will be 1.00167 mm long at 100 deg C that is not very much. I am still thinking thermal expansion is not too big a worry.

Last edited by squiggles; 06-12-2009 at 09:11 AM.. Reason: rouge ( removed
Old 06-12-2009, 09:10 AM   #1683 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
Are you serious? It happens all the time. You are seeing it now
Let me rephrase that, I have not seen them bent to allow for thermal expansion, for vibration yes. And fitting into place of course.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:48 AM   #1684 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Howdy Paul

The transmission I am working on will need a variable valve for each of the clutches/bands the trans uses in combo to achieve 1st, 2nd, Direct and Reverse. I want to keep the standard shift pattern of PRND21 you find in most vehicles. This would make it easier for someone to use this trans in an automatic conversion.

The Hydraulic pump is a variable displacement unit that will also be used for the power steering and power brakes. The pump will be set up for on demand use and be fed through a hydraulic accumulator so it will not run all the time.

The transmission will use four valves that will be controlled with servos so they can be opened and closed at a variable rate. I.E. if you apply throttle slowly the shifts will slide into place in a smooth manor. When in "Grand Prix" mode, the trans will shift firm and fast for those times when a little Whoop A** is needed to show an ICE that an electric may be a bit short on range but it will get there hell and gone faster than YOU!

The pump will have one servo to control pump displacement and a set of Fet's to control the motor RPM/Amps.

I first got the build my own EV bug about 4 years ago and I decided early what I wanted to build. I live next door to a guy who has been doing EV conversions for years now and started talking to him about what I wanted to try and have been working to those ends since. I have seen many different builds that have a separate motor for the vacuum pump the power steering pump and the *cough* Air Conditioning… I am not sure why you need AC in Washington but oh well. So I am using one motor instead of three.

Also most of the cars were standard trans models that the owners told me they only use a couple gears of so that got me thinking.

In the schematic the drive section is separated from the logic section by an optoisolator correct? If so then could I place U6 and U7 with supporting components in the drive section box and run a separate 12 volt supply to them and then drive the optoisolator from the logic section in the controller box via CAT5?

Take Care Ya"ll
Cyrus
Old 06-12-2009, 01:31 PM   #1685 (permalink)
EvEagle

Paul, Have you seen this diode: RHRG75120 1200V at 75A TO247 case with 2 legs.. Would it be a good subtitute for the STTH6002CW?

Data sheet: http://www.fairchildsemi.com/ds/RH/RHRG75120.pdf

There is a guy selling these on ebay, 4 for $10.60 Free ship

Ultra Fast Recovery Power Rectifier 1200V 75A 85ns (x4 - eBay (item 220425461517 end time Jun-30-09 09:56:38 PDT)
Old 06-12-2009, 01:36 PM   #1686 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Paul:

Posting pictures of bending diode leads AFTER MIDNIGHT your time?????? What's up with that?

I certainly cannot speak for everyone, but dang dude. I don't even know Sabrina, but if you get her mad at you by staying up late working on this controller, I will personally drive to Seattle and KICK YOUR BUTT! You need to stay on her good side. That little boy of yours deserves a fun, happy, alert Daddy, not a grumpy, tired, zoned-out Daddy.

If the controller takes an extra week or few because you go to bed at a reasonable time, I'm very much okay with that. Please don't short change your family.

Of course, it's your life and you can do what you want. What do I know?

Okay... I vented. I feel better now.

Yours Truly,
Mr. "Internet Tough Guy"

(and before anyone gets in a snit... don't take every word of my post verbatim. There is some sarcasm in it. )
Old 06-12-2009, 03:26 PM   #1687 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie_fd View Post
If other people would like to test the serial link, I've uploaded the changes in the r16 on svn. Here are the modifications: Changeset 16 for trunk/HighVoltageController.c - Open ReVolt - Trac

For testing conect a null modem cable to your pc and receive at 19200baud with 8n1. Any java programmer outthere wants to make the client for this?

Ups! I had commented out the HighPedalLockout ... Restored it in r17.
I have some Java experience and software I have written with serial comms that I have used with one of my microcontroller projects.....if you want me to put something together?

What do you want to display? Just Current?
Old 06-12-2009, 03:49 PM   #1688 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slurryguy View Post
Paul:

Posting pictures of bending diode leads AFTER MIDNIGHT your time?????? What's up with that?
He spends too much time answering half baked questions, like "what if someone puts their tongue on the high voltage leads to impress their girlfriend?"
Old 06-12-2009, 04:48 PM   #1689 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
He spends too much time answering half baked questions, like "what if someone puts their tongue on the high voltage leads to impress their girlfriend?"

I can kinda answer that one.

Nothing like shuffling your feet on the carpet on a dry day and then giving your girl a smooch. It makes the entire evening, "electric." Try it sometime.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:33 PM   #1690 (permalink)
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
Cyruscosmo, that sounds like an awesome project. I think you could use the ethernet cable or something similar to it for connecting and disconnecting the control section if you do it right. You should start a thread!

slurryguy! Thank you for all your concern! Want to hear something interesting? You know how most people work M-F, 9-5 or whatever? I work M-W, 7:30am-11:15am, and 7:30-9:45am on Thursdays. My son LOVES to stay up super late. Sometimes at 12 or 1 am, he's playing his drums, and watching the adventures of Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Larry. While that is going on, I sometimes goof around on the computer. The funny thing is, I think he believes that I don't even have a job. I get home each day when he's just waking up. hehe! Then we go get tiny crabs under the rocks at the beach and sometimes pull their claws off, or go to Costco to eat pizza. My main work times are when he's taking a nap (3-5pm or so) and sometimes later at night. I do need to do more with Sabrina, though! Little kids are sort of demanding.

edown! I actually ordered some that were very similar from that very guy, for Ben's controller, but they were 500v diodes. The voltage drop is a bit too high I think for the 1200v one. We'll see how Ben's perform. I can't wait!

rovert, I have no idea! hahaha!