Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free > Open ReVolt: open source DC motor controller
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2009, 10:01 PM   #1731 (permalink)
Electronics Packrat !!!

Hello:

Thank you Paul for this great site. I think I can learn a great amount here. You are welcome for the gift to your fund. I know what it is like to work hard and have no rewards.

My name is Royal Walker. I live in Indiana with my lovely wife Jill. I will be fifty eight this year (2009). I have worked as a toolmaker for several years, 20+. I have always had a interest in electronics and anything mechanical.

I have experimented with Atmega micro-controllers a little.
I would like to build a controller and install it in a EV.

I have a electric wheelchair that I might try to make a new controller for. This would be a good experience for me, if that went ok I would like to build a EV.

Have a great day,

Royal Walker

Last edited by Royal; 06-17-2009 at 08:33 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-17-2009, 09:18 PM   #1732 (permalink)
Electronics Packrat !!!

Help!

As I am new to this can someone tell me the proper use of Post Reply, New Thread, and Post Quick Reply.
Thank you,
Royal
Old 06-17-2009, 09:56 PM   #1733 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

post reply, new thread?

Hello Royal

You have Posted this help request in what is called a thread. The threads name is paul-sabrinas-cheap-144v-motor-controller. The purpose of a Thread is to keep a single train of thought on a specific topic which for this thread is the controller.

If you wanted to respond to a message in this “Thread” then you would “Post a Reply”.

If you wanted to start your own “Thread” that has nothing to do with this thread then you would use the “New Thread” and your posts would then show in your own thread.

Get it?

Cyrus

Last edited by Cyruscosmo; 06-17-2009 at 09:58 PM.. Reason: missed something
Old 06-17-2009, 10:04 PM   #1734 (permalink)
Electronics Packrat !!!

Thanks. I think I got it.
Thank you,
Royal
Old 06-17-2009, 11:50 PM   #1735 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
No, not with a simple constant current applied to them. and that is precisely why this discussion about charging batteries belongs in another thread (hint, hint)
And actually, Lithium ion batteries should not be charged with constant current. The correct way is to charge with current limit up to 4.2v per cell (for the most common type), then hold the voltage for a time, then stop. For optimum service life, a lower voltage should be used.

Interestingly enough, a simple "diodes and capacitors" charger is actually remarkably efficient. The only significant losses are from the rectifier diodes themselves. Not suitable for use with Lithium ion batteries, however. They work great for NiMH and lead acid. (Note that while the lead acid version will definitely require a voltage control, the NiMH version will not require any control device if the rate is low enough.)

Allie Moore and I have a combined carbon footprint much smaller than that of one average American...
Old 06-18-2009, 12:17 AM   #1736 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Open ReVolt as Charger

I've started a new thread called: Open ReVolt as Charger where I've tried to explain in more detail about using the controller to let one pack supplement the other while driving. I'd appreciate any responses and suggestions.

Thanks.

Bill
Old 06-18-2009, 02:28 AM   #1737 (permalink)
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
I'm shipping out Adrian's (unassembled) controller tomorrow. Here are a few pictures:

This will be an excellent experiment in the Kit concept in action. It's not as kit-like as I would have wanted, but time was of the essence. He will have some soldering, drilling 1 little hole, and mostly screwing stuff together. Not too bad.

mpgmike (01-12-2022)
Old 06-18-2009, 02:40 AM   #1738 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Great work Paul I will look foreward to being the first in Australia to build and try one.
anyone wanting to help Paul with his costs try this link set up by Ben.
Green Cars: Videos and More!
Old 06-18-2009, 05:44 AM   #1739 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hi Paul,

As an engineer who has been working with microcontrollers for over 30 years, I have nothing but admiration for your persistence and ability to pick up complex hardware & software design principles and best of all you are an aspiring comedian.

Keep up the good work mate!
mcudogs

Mazda 121 Auto EV
Old 06-18-2009, 09:19 AM   #1740 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Thumbs up Controller kit

Hey Paul, Saw the pictures of your kit, and I do like it. Do you think someone with limited electronics knowledge would be able to assemble one? If so, if you want, please let me know what the kit would cost, and (since I don't have paypal) would money order be ok? I am at jrvsglnn@ yahoo.com, if you would want to reply private. Thanks, Take care. Watt

Reply  Post New Thread