Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2020, 11:06 PM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Perry - '98 Honda Civic EX
Team Honda
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianEdgar View Post
Since you're in the aerodynamics section of the forum, I'd suggest as large an undertray as you can fit to the car.
Shoot, I meant for this to be a more general thread, and as such under Ecomodding Central. My mistake, but anyway the undertray suggestion is well appreciated. Im unsure with how to design a tray that would -under the engine- be *relatively* easy to take off without a lot of skill in bracketing and body. Would either of your books provide information on such things?

Im aware that im probably asking a lot: ease of design, ease of build, low budget, easy maintenance, durability. So if I'm in over my head i get it. Though I am considering aerodynamic mod's and testing, I again meant to have this thread under ecomodding central.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-10-2020, 11:37 PM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Perry - '98 Honda Civic EX
Team Honda
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
What do you plan for supplementing/augmenting battery charging?
Credits to Daox https://ecomodder.com/forum/member-daox.html
Daox had the idea to: use a "smallish" ~15 V lithium pack and connect it to the starter battery (either directly or using the cars 12v plug). While maintaining enough voltage, the pack should be able to keep system voltage above that "set by the alternator, thus disabling it." Link below:

https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthre...ete-37923.html

I forget where I remember reading this, but I believe reading that Hondas 5th -or 6th?- VX or HX charging setup operated similarly, but without the extra battery supplement. It's alternator would charge the system when voltage dips below a low threshold and switch off after reaching a high threshold. I don't know how correctly I'm vaguely describing this, but I intend to learn of this systems mechanics and efficacy. If I can have/do this for my application, then this instead.
The Following User Says Thank You to dayvon For This Useful Post:
aerohead (12-11-2020)
Old 12-10-2020, 11:54 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,580 Times in 7,065 Posts
Quote:
Im unsure with how to design a tray that would -under the engine- be *relatively* easy to take off without a lot of skill in bracketing and body.
I haven't read the books but I expect they would be more about how to shape the tray.

I would consider a tab -and-slot arrangement with the tabs facing forward (to resist impacts) so any fasteners would only have to keep it from shifting forward.

Quote:
...replacing the stock shocks and springs with lighter and adjustable coil-overs, swapping for alloy wheels, and using lighter cv shafts.
...will not have as much effect as the tire choice.

Old 12-11-2020, 12:31 AM   #14 (permalink)
Luddite

ol-green - '96 Honda Civic LX
Team Honda
90 day: 50.11 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dayvon View Post
Daox had the idea to: use a "smallish" ~15 V lithium pack and connect it to the starter battery (either directly or using the cars 12v plug
Yes ! I use this, It helps!! https://www.autozone.com/test-scan-a...ck/1042041_0_0

Old 12-11-2020, 01:43 AM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

Thanked 1,605 Times in 1,136 Posts
Quote:
Shoot, I meant for this to be a more general thread, and as such under Ecomodding Central. My mistake, but anyway the undertray suggestion is well appreciated. Im unsure with how to design a tray that would -under the engine- be *relatively* easy to take off without a lot of skill in bracketing and body. Would either of your books provide information on such things?

Im aware that im probably asking a lot: ease of design, ease of build, low budget, easy maintenance, durability. So if I'm in over my head i get it. Though I am considering aerodynamic mod's and testing, I again meant to have this thread under ecomodding central.
Old 12-11-2020, 02:11 AM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,580 Times in 7,065 Posts
So my prediction failed.

The product JulianEdgar proposes for the composite material DiBond, corresponds to other brands like Polymetal, Grimco Maxmetal and Alumapanel.

Old 12-11-2020, 11:17 AM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
alternator

Quote:
Daox had the idea to: use a "smallish" ~15 V lithium pack and connect it to the starter battery (either directly or using the cars 12v plug). While maintaining enough voltage, the pack should be able to keep system voltage above that "set by the alternator, thus disabling it." Link below:

https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthre...ete-37923.html

I forget where I remember reading this, but I believe reading that Hondas 5th -or 6th?- VX or HX charging setup operated similarly, but without the extra battery supplement. It's alternator would charge the system when voltage dips below a low threshold and switch off after reaching a high threshold. I don't know how correctly I'm vaguely describing this, but I intend to learn of this systems mechanics and efficacy. If I can have/do this for my application, then this instead.
If I remember correctly, even before the VX, Honda would reduce field strength to the alternator, allowing only 12-VDC while under low manifold pressure; as this condition would signify an acceleration, passing, or hill climbing event, where access to all available power was desirable ( without dimming the headlights, etc.).
Old 12-11-2020, 12:03 PM   #18 (permalink)

Pope Pious the Prius - '13 Toyota Prius Two
Team Toyota
SUV
90 day: 51.62 mpg (US)

Tycho the Truck - '91 Toyota Pickup DLX 4WD
90 day: 22.22 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,801 Times in 938 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianEdgar View Post
The first time I took a rocker panel off my Viper I was very surprised to see that it was secured on the underside (which extends ~6" toward the center of the car) with sheet metal screws. A visit to one of the forums at the time confirmed that this was factory, and apparently they had a reputation for falling out and flatting the (very expensive) rear tires. Definitely an attachment method to stay away from.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vman455 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (12-11-2020)
Old 12-11-2020, 06:57 PM   #19 (permalink)
Banned

Thanked 1,605 Times in 1,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vman455 View Post
The first time I took a rocker panel off my Viper I was very surprised to see that it was secured on the underside (which extends ~6" toward the center of the car) with sheet metal screws. A visit to one of the forums at the time confirmed that this was factory, and apparently they had a reputation for falling out and flatting the (very expensive) rear tires. Definitely an attachment method to stay away from.
Interesting! And for people outside the US, sheet metal screws = self-tappers.

Reply  Post New Thread