Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2010, 05:47 PM   #31 (permalink)
AJI
EcoModding Apprentice

Rallye - '98 Peugeot 106 Rallye
90 day: 36.41 mpg (US)

RX-7 - '94 Mazda RX-7
90 day: 14.05 mpg (US)

NC - '09 Mazda MX-5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
So what's the secret?
Wouldn't just plain hypermiling keep the temp down? Less fuel used for the same distance = greater efficiency = less energy wasted as heat. Judging from the number of new "Why does my fan keep turning on?" posts at my local Peugeot forum every spring, I can tell that my turbodiesel stays cooler than others, even with a (partially opened for warm weather) grill block.
No secret, as I said it's easily found on the net. I'm not technically minded so I didn't want to insult by posting my own version of it here, but essentially, apparently the water pump on the old 1.4 isn't very strong at all, to the point where it doesn't have enough power to keep older engines from overheating even at idle.

Some owners have changed the thermostat, which seems to be overly optimistic about how hot the engine is getting. Usually, the engine gets too hot, overheats and the head gasket goes. The mod seems to fix this problem, the guy who suggested it has 188k miles on his 1.4 diesel now which is amazing for such a small car.

I found the tip here, for reference.

Quote:
PSA's 1.5 diesel is better than the 1.4 - it's newer, has cleaner emissions (that's why the 1.4 got phased out), and is EOBD. It's also got slightly more power/torque at about the same fe.
That seems to be the general consensus. Performance is nothing special but not too bad considering it's intended use (let's face it, if you want a fast 106 you get a Rallye or GTI), but economy is very good. 50mpg (imperial gallons) should be pretty easy. And as we're seeing with someone more economically minded, even more is quite possible.

I've been seriously considering a 106 diesel recently as a daily driver, following what I've seen in this thread and researched into. I reckon with some choice modifications, you could have a car that comfortably averages over 50mpg (imperial again), and could quite easily achieve over 70mpg in gentle out of town driving.

Small, reliable diesel engine, small frontal area, narrow tires... it's basically built for economy. Lower it a bit, give it a few aero tweaks and you'd get some seriously impressive figures.

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-25-2010, 06:22 AM   #32 (permalink)
The PRC.

There is also the Saxo option (same car, different badges - and slightly less nice looking IMHO).

I've been thinking of an AX 1.5D smoker for local eco use as well - basically the same car but much lighter, older and less well made. Should be good for around 78 mpg before you start lightening more and hypermiling from what I have read.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:27 AM   #33 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
The AX's 650kg is very tempting, though I doubt that's for the diesel. The Saxo was a slightly better version of the 106 - more options, more weight - but the post-lift 106 was about the same.
When you look at the newer city cars (eg Citroën C2), they all weigh over 1000kg, while the 106/Saxo was in the 800-900kg range. That's what safety, A/C and power-everything will do
The VW Lupo 3L is lighter than other versions (850kg), but I've seen ads for reducing the weight down to below 550kg! This allows the driver to have a B1 category license (age 16) instead of B (age 18). But Lupo's are 2-3 times more expensive than 106's. But it's good to know that losing that much weight is possible. If you're lucky you can find on of the few Lupo's with manual transmissions instead of the Tiptronic BS. Excuse me while I wipe my saliva...

Sorry for hijacking this thread.

Mod, have you weighed you 106? I wonder how it's weight compares to what's in the papers.

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
Old 05-25-2010, 07:27 AM   #34 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Chug - '96 Volkswagon Polo CL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 49.42 mpg (US)

L'Autre - '03 Renault Megane Sport Tourer Expression
Diesel
90 day: 45.02 mpg (US)
rover metro also use the same 1.5D PSA lump - but was geared for town.... and it was uncomfortable...... and loud..... and harsh..... and rusted

I think early early nineties AX or gen I 106 are the perfect ecocar starting points

twitter.com/bertchalmers
Old 05-25-2010, 02:40 PM   #35 (permalink)
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robchalmers View Post
rover metro also use the same 1.5D PSA lump - but was geared for town.... and it was uncomfortable...... and loud..... and harsh..... and rusted

I think early early nineties AX or gen I 106 are the perfect ecocar starting points
My ex-GFs AX also lightened itself using the Oxidisation route as well. The boot floor went first, followed by the sills...
Old 06-07-2010, 12:35 PM   #36 (permalink)
AJI
EcoModding Apprentice

Rallye - '98 Peugeot 106 Rallye
90 day: 36.41 mpg (US)

RX-7 - '94 Mazda RX-7
90 day: 14.05 mpg (US)

NC - '09 Mazda MX-5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
When you look at the newer city cars (eg Citroën C2), they all weigh over 1000kg, while the 106/Saxo was in the 800-900kg range. That's what safety, A/C and power-everything will do
Depends where you look. Sticking to the PSA theme, the Peugeot 107 and Citroen C1 have a dry weight of 790kg in 1.0 petrol form, which is amazing for a modern car. 63mpg (imp) on the combined cycle, too. The diesel (only in the C1, I think) is 100kg heavier dry, which is a bit of a pity because without that weight it might do even better than the 70-odd mpg combined it already does. 890kg is still pretty light for a modern car though.

Confusingly, the Toyota Aygo, which is essentially the same, is 890kg even for the petrol. I don't know whether the figures for the 107 are wrong on the website I'm using, but if they aren't I can't see where the 100kg extra in a car with the same engine comes from. I can see where it might come from in the diesel model, but not a petrol.

Anyway, the C1/107 is a proper successor to the Saxo/106, unlike the C2 is. I expect in another ten years they'll be proper bargains too.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:17 PM   #37 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mater - '98 Dodge 3500 Dually

Wilber - '99 Toyota Corolla LX

Minyatta - '93 Mazda Miata MX-5
Is the grill & trim the same. Maybe some of the plastic is metal on the heavier version.

Doesn't make cents to me either!

Dave
Old 06-09-2010, 03:11 AM   #38 (permalink)
The PRC.

The 890 for the Aygo is curb weight and not dry.

Confusingly the curb weight for the C1 on Wikipedia is for the Diesel, so its 1050kg vs 890 for the petrol Aygo.

Either way they seem very light, but the C1 Diesel is noisy by today's standards and slower + much more expensive than the petrol ones.

May be worth a 2nd hand punt but the residuals on these 'cheap' cars seem pretty good.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:47 AM   #39 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mater - '98 Dodge 3500 Dually

Wilber - '99 Toyota Corolla LX

Minyatta - '93 Mazda Miata MX-5
I went to look to see if I could find one of these on Ebay. It got me interested
seem like you guys love these cars & even better in diesel.

Only gassers were available when I checked. My next car is going to be a diesel of some sort!

Dave
Old 06-09-2010, 03:04 PM   #40 (permalink)
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave's Civic Duty View Post
I went to look to see if I could find one of these on Ebay. It got me interested
seem like you guys love these cars & even better in diesel.

Only gassers were available when I checked. My next car is going to be a diesel of some sort!

Dave
106 or Aygo / 107 ? There are a few others worth from around the same era as the 106 which are also worth a look :

- Citroen Saxo (exactly same as 106, slightly different badges and styling)
- Vauxhall Corsa D or TD <<< Made by GM, engine by Isuzu
- Polo D
- Fiesta D - rarer than the more recent TDCi
- AX 1.5 D - pre-cursor to the 106/Saxo but getting rare due to rust
- Renault Clio RD - can be very very rusty in Mk1 guise.

If you go up a size anything with Citroen or Peugeot on the badge is worth a go as they all have the long life XUD engine - a million french taxis going to the moon and back can't all be wrong... Vauxhall / Opel used Isuzu engines during this period which are fairly strong. Ford used an older ex-Peugeot design during this period, noisy, not very reliable and quite thirsty.

You get bonus points if you find a 1980s Daihatsu Charade TD with 1.0 3 cyl IDI engine, with added turbo goodness - a rip roaring 46 bhp Double bonus if its a rare hi-top roof version.

Read about it Daihatsu Charade 1.0 Diesel Test 1983 1 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Plus the exchange rate is in your favour...