Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2013, 01:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The Blazer - '00 Chevy Blazer LT
90 day: 16.31 mpg (US)
Pizza Pan Fail

No pictures (sorry guys). I went and threw some pizza pans on my Blazer and for the first day or so I was pretty pleased. Then they warped, dented, and looked terrible on my car. Yes, I know, this is ecomodder.com and we don't care about looks... but holy crap these look so terrible on my vehicle. Not to mention, they basically become a giant amplifier for the engine but only for the people inside the vehicle. They made the ride super loud. I will say that I could actually feel a difference while coasting. It just felt smoother.

As far as MPG gains go- I averaged about .5 MPG gain. Got significantly LESS mileage on the highway (don't know how). Anyways, I took them off. I value not shouting at my family and looking like a crackhead more than an extra .5 MPGs.

Now, if anyone knows how to combat this noise problem, PLEASE TELL ME!!!! I'll keep the pans around for a bit though. Might even make some pizza

edit: actually I will post pics tomorrow.

Last edited by jtbwatson; 08-20-2013 at 01:45 AM.. Reason: pics
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-20-2013, 02:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

wrx - '02 subaru impreza wrx wagon
90 day: 33.81 mpg (US)

Leg - '05 Subaru Legacy 2.5i
Cover the inside of the pans with either plasti dip or a thin foam, also create a rubber gasket where the edge meets the rim. I've been questioning the folks in the diy about the gains between this mod or buy brake dust shields, I don't think there is much difference and definitely less work for dust shields. Shields cost 20 a pair, about the same for pizza pans then all the needed hardware and other materials I'm thinking it's a full bust unless someone can prove otherwise.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

much better and looks nice 2.

Full Moon Racing Disc Hubcaps, Stylish Look, Great Prices, AutoAmenity.com
these are well priced moon disk hubs.

Pizza Pan Separators | Restaurant Equipment & Supplies at FSW
these are what I bought extremly cheap and look good. much thicker and durable. look at my garage piks of undieing POS car. has good finish and made of stainless matl.

I am fully satisfied and final results are in after 3rd tank combined disks and moving rear spoiler to hang over end of trunk is 1.5 - 2mpg gain.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:57 AM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

wrx - '02 subaru impreza wrx wagon
90 day: 33.81 mpg (US)

Leg - '05 Subaru Legacy 2.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme1969 View Post
Full Moon Racing Disc Hubcaps, Stylish Look, Great Prices, AutoAmenity.com
these are well priced moon disk hubs.

Pizza Pan Separators | Restaurant Equipment & Supplies at FSW
these are what I bought extremly cheap and look good. much thicker and durable. look at my garage piks of undieing POS car. has good finish and made of stainless matl.

I am fully satisfied and final results are in after 3rd tank combined disks and moving rear spoiler to hang over end of trunk is 1.5 - 2mpg gain.
Thats two mods at once so .5x 1.75 = 0.875mpg per mod which do I think added greater percent, the trunk mod. Still unconvinced.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

sizematters - '08 smart 4-2 passion cabrio
90 day: 51.99 mpg (US)

escape - '06 Ford Escape xlt
90 day: 26.78 mpg (US)

Buick - '04 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 27.26 mpg (US)
I just installed the pizza pan separators on my '06 Escape yesterday and I am VERY pleased. According to my Scangage, mileage went up about 3 mpg, to 36 mpg on level ground at 50-55 mph, this is with 2wd, V6 and automatic trans, extended air dam, vortex generators on rear (top and sides), removed luggage rack and upper grill block(black duct tape). I expect to do better yet using more hypermiling tecniques. Chumly
The Following User Says Thank You to chumly For This Useful Post:
justme1969 (08-20-2013)
Old 08-20-2013, 02:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,528 Times in 2,802 Posts
If you happen to have 15 inch steel wheels then GM already solved every aspect of this problem for you.
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...eel-22003.html
Old 08-20-2013, 10:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
How did you attach the pizza separators?
Old 08-21-2013, 12:00 AM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The Blazer - '00 Chevy Blazer LT
90 day: 16.31 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
How did you attach the pizza separators?
I found the center using twine stretched across at the widest point, made a line with pencil, then rotated it 90 degrees. Then did that twice more so I had a center point to drill. I drilled a hole in my center cap and put a 2.5" bolt through both of them and tightened it down. They are pretty secure (seemingly) and flew off and killed anybody like something you'd see in final destination.

I could absolutely tell a difference while cruising, but I really think I drive too much city to fully benefit from these. I might re-install them once school starts because I'll pretty much only be on the highway.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:47 AM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

sizematters - '08 smart 4-2 passion cabrio
90 day: 51.99 mpg (US)

escape - '06 Ford Escape xlt
90 day: 26.78 mpg (US)

Buick - '04 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 27.26 mpg (US)
i INSTALLED MINE WITH 14" ZIP TIES, 2 per spoke. I drilled 1- 1/8" hole per spoke in cover, put 14"zip tie on spoke, put tie through 1 hole and zipped the head of another zip tie onto the first one. I tried this method on my smart first and it works very well. I had to trim the 17" pizza pan separators to 16 3/4" to fit inside lip on alloy wheels on the Escape. I've had it up to 80 mph to make sure they would stay on, no problem, I think they would stay on at 100+ mph but I'm not concerned about that because I won't drive that fast unless it's an emergency. Chumly
Old 08-21-2013, 02:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

You are far too advanced in thinking already.

What do you expect here a 600 million dollar government research on wheel disks. Your far too smart to hear my made up no sense answers Im so sorry Ive wasted your time.
best regards...

Re: unconvinced?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme1969
rear spoilers do very little good.like .02 mpg per gallon if in just the rite spot.
Wheel disks have an immediatly noticable different Drive feeling.
Best felt on the hiway and in conjunction with side skirts.
It also gets noticable side push from winds and from passing semi etc.
I hug the white line when passing trucks for that reason alone.
Not sure what ya dont believe it it certinly true.

I've been looking for a straight answer, not this crap you want pm me cause you feel it special. It's the difference b/n so hookie fab wheel covers and dust shields. They do the same thing and I can just about guarantee the difference is less than .5 mpg. And another side note when someone wants to chime in on a post and say well and did this plus this, granted one of the mods will out weight the other but if their not going to give me figures to support, I have to show them.

Ok I see your confusion now! dust shields are behind the wheel to keep dust from inundating the wheel and knuckle. The hookie fab wheel covers go on outside of wheel to prevent excess wheel turbulence. This post had nothing to do with dust covers you may need to start a whole new one. not sure how that pertains to mpg or aero or anything? But please feel free to post up I love the entertainment!

Last edited by justme1969; 08-22-2013 at 07:23 AM.. Reason: diddnt see his confusion at first.
Reply  Post New Thread