Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2010, 05:24 PM   #51 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Awesome endevor and did you bring a camera?

Never the less you saved a few pounds for the enviroment if we subtract the smelted iron and all the plastics/fibreglass processing.

Im not shure if methane can cause "blue angels" when farted in a bathtub! haw haw

The Following User Says Thank You to Booey For This Useful Post:
TDFbound (11-25-2018)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-05-2010, 05:32 PM   #52 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
It's not the brake pads you should be worried about, it's the discs:
Hypermiling ruined my brakes!
Don't worry, I brake often enough

I'm not a fanatic hypermiler .... yet

The Following User Says Thank You to euromodder For This Useful Post:
TDFbound (11-25-2018)
Old 08-24-2010, 03:23 PM   #53 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

And what does fantatic ??
The Following User Says Thank You to AdamTorski For This Useful Post:
TDFbound (11-25-2018)
Old 09-30-2010, 01:36 AM   #54 (permalink)
MoPar fanatic

Long ago, I posted about my old fave, a Chrysler M-body, an F-41 Fifth Avenue with the 318 "P" code roller cam 2 bbl V8. I had been bemoaning the fact that I feared that ethanol-laced fuel would rob me of much of my economy. I ran a whole battery of tests, plus went through the Holley 6280 caburetor and added a new mixture control solenoid. The final report? The car gets as good a mileage on 10% ethanole as it did on MBTE-laced gasoline, BUT...there is a LOT of fuel loss on hot days to the evaporative emissions cannister. This happened the last time they started using ethanol in gasoline in California, back in the late '70s, and the low vapor pressure of the ethanol would cause rich running, surging and other problems with hot engines. They've made some improvements into the ethanol additive's driveability issues, but you DO lost a considerable amount of ethanol from the fuel when the vehicle is parked in temperatures over 90°F. Not counting that, however, my fuel economy is thus: 16 MPH around town with A/C on, 23 MPH highway with A/C on. Knocking off the A/C in lower temperatures should give me an extra MPG, per prior experience, which means this Chrysler's getting about the same mileage it did in 1986, when it was new, perhaps a little better. Oh yes, I just passed CA's Smog Check II dyno test, and the CO and HC readings were cleaner than they've been in 12 years. Actual results available upon request. "Neutral coasting" with the A-904 Torqflite adds a little more economy if you've got some serious downgrades, but you must leave the engine idling to keep the bearings and rear clutch pack oiled. Best this car's ever gotten matching that Maxima guy's 28 MPG...28.3 MPG going 60 MPH on cruise control, A/C mostly off, from Laughlin, NV to Mojave, CA, shifting to neutral to descend what grades there were. Not bad for a V8 powered US car!
The Following User Says Thank You to DeserTBoB For This Useful Post:
TDFbound (11-25-2018)
Old 01-08-2011, 01:48 AM   #55 (permalink)
Just cruisin’ along

Beater Echo - '00 Toyota Echo
90 day: 42.67 mpg (US)

Hondizzle - '97 Honda Civic DX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.55 mpg (US)

Shaggin Waggin - '14 Chrysler Town + Country
90 day: 22.56 mpg (US)
A few weeks ago, some family came into town to see my new baby and to spend Christmas here. I picked them up in my fiancee's '00 Echo sedan/automatic. I maintained a strict 60mph and a somewhat less-strict 60-65 on the way home after picking them up. Temps were in the low 50's, and there was rain for about 70 of the 220 mile trip. Result? 39,8mpg. Not bad, but there was room for improvement, so I checked the tyres. One was at 17psi (!), two at around 24psi, and one at 29psi. They are old and were purchased as used tyres, so I was hesitant to use the full 44psi - I went up to 40psi. The week after, I brought them back to the airport. Speeds were the same, but I did have the advantage of temps about 10 degrees higher and no rain. Result? 44,4mpg yes, the car is capable of more, but then again, I am more of a dilettante at this...

'97 Honda Civic DX Coupe 5MT - dead 2/23
'00 Echo - dead 2/17
'14 Chrysler Town + Country - My DD, for now
'67 Mustang Convertible - gone 1/17
The Following User Says Thank You to jcp123 For This Useful Post:
TDFbound (11-25-2018)
Old 01-14-2011, 06:15 AM   #56 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Fizz - '06 Skoda Fabia Combi
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 56.62 mpg (US)
Personal best commute last night - 65mpg (US), 79 (imperial). (That's onboard fuel computer minus 5% which is the error I've found from tank-to-tank data)

I find it strange that I got such a high figure in wet weather! I'm guessing that the mild weather that went with the rain is one reason for such a high figure. Last time I did so well was in the summer.
The Following User Says Thank You to ecoxantia For This Useful Post:
TDFbound (11-25-2018)
Old 03-13-2011, 12:09 PM   #57 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Civic - '00 Honda Civic
Team Honda
90 day: 38.97 mpg (US)
Hey all... I am new to the world of H.M. just got my scangauge II about a quarter of the way into my most recent tank and averaged over 43 mpg. Not bad for a first shot.
The Following User Says Thank You to hippiedudebrad For This Useful Post:
TDFbound (11-25-2018)
Old 05-07-2011, 05:47 PM   #58 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Silverfox - '05 Honda Civic HX
90 day: 46.08 mpg (US)
Second tank success story. Applying more driving techniques from ecomodder I was able to jump from 42 mpg on my first tank to 53 on my second tank. Starting to be able to tell when I am in lean burn, and caring less and less about the minivans blowing past me on the highway.
The Following User Says Thank You to slojam For This Useful Post:
TDFbound (11-25-2018)
Old 07-11-2011, 09:33 AM   #59 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
1719 km (1068 mi) on 63 liters (16.64 USgal) of diesel, beating my previous record of 1666 km (1035 mi) on the same amount of fuel. Only this time it was with 2-4 passengers and cargo, instead of an empty car.

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
The Following User Says Thank You to Piwoslaw For This Useful Post:
TDFbound (11-25-2018)
Old 08-09-2011, 06:17 PM   #60 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I drive a 2011 Ford Fiesta SES sedan with a five-speed manual transmission. EPA rates it at 28 city/ 37 highway/ 32 combined. It's a year old now and has just over 12,000 miles on it. I have an average weekly commute of about 200 miles with about half through very congested Los Angeles city streets and the other half on fairly congested highway. Up to now, my usual combined city/highway fillup shows a computed fuel economy of about 32 mpg at 21 mph, though I've seen many all highway trips average better than 40 mpg.

Lately, I've been trying to see how I could improve my fuel economy just by knocking the car into neutral whenever I take my foot off the gas (instead of coasting in gear, and being tempted to tease a little gas without thinking of it). One part of my commute on the 405 freeway involves a large hill (at the Sepulveda pass) which can offer a 1 to 2 mile opportunity for coasting.

I've gotten two complete tanks so far that have averaged better than 40 mpg by using this technique! during the last three tanks, I've seen highway trips that reached average highs above 44 mpg, but then the city driving brought it back down to 40. I don't have the scangauge that you all talk about, and have made no other modifications to my car. The only change is that I am more cognizant of being in neutral and coasting whenever possible.

Also, even though the freeway takes me longer, I get on it much earlier than I used to, because the city streets require too many full stops, and the freeway allows me to coast more frequently.

I'm really excited about his improvement! Was wondering if you have other tips to share?

The Following User Says Thank You to Fiestagrrl For This Useful Post:
TDFbound (11-25-2018)
Reply  Post New Thread