Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2012, 02:03 PM   #31 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

00C - '00 Toyota Corolla
90 day: 43.54 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps2fixer View Post
I have a 97 corolla and am getting around 40mpg currently with just grill blocks and smooth hubcaps (plastic). I do drive slower and have a scangauge 2. Your corolla is one body style older than mine, but the same/similar engine I think (mine is a 1.8L). Food for thought, my BEST mpg is between 42-45mph at around 55-65mpg depending on temp/wind durning the summer (80F+).

Very interested in how good you can get, since I haven't done anything to mine for months now.
Hey ps2fixer,

Thanks for your interest! I really like Corollas, they have noticeably bigger back seats than Civics, the engines are not interference types, and they're fun to work on. (My Corolla is not in good all-around mechanical condition though, very sad.)

Your Corolla has a more similar body style to my 97 Civic, which I haven't modded so much yet. My 89 Corolla also has a carburetor.

I would suggest you look into P&G and EOC, if you haven't already. I can pull 55-60 MPG out of the 97Civic/SGII on my commute (~70% @ ~55-60 MPH) in the summer, with a mod set similar to your Corolla, but its a manual so I can go wild with EOC (bump start). Traffic is usually moderate for me. I think most of the potential is still there with an automatic but it requires some extra thought (mine are both manuals).

Modding is fun.

Cheers

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-24-2012, 04:37 PM   #32 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

92 Camry - '92 Toyota Camry LE
Team Toyota
90 day: 26.81 mpg (US)

97 Corolla - '97 Toyota Corolla DX
Team Toyota
90 day: 30.1 mpg (US)

Red F250 - '95 Ford F250 XLT
90 day: 20.34 mpg (US)

Matrix - '04 Toyota Matrix XR
90 day: 31.86 mpg (US)

White Prius - '06 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 48.54 mpg (US)
I have tried P&G and never had much luck on it based on the scangauge. Besides that, I have more than enough problems with traffic, since 66% of my trip is on a major road (only 1 lane for each direction of traffic...).

I really do need to get into modding mine more, but one thing nice about this car, it is weird lol. My MPG isn't linear like most other cars for mpg vs speed. At ~42-45mph it spikes up quite well to around 55-65 while driving steady vs it dropping to around 47 @ ~48-50mph. I can still get around 40-42mpg @ 60mph (running late for work).

Looking at your fuel log, your 1.6L + manual isn't doing much different than myself with the current weather. I think my car weighs more, but has overdrive, while the 1.6 was lighter (body style and engine size), and the trans didn't have OD? I always thought about putting a 1.6L with a 1.8L manual w\ overdrive in since my car is over 241k miles now and isn't in that great of shape either. The thing was a city beater, so tons of small wrecks in the front end, and the rear is messed up on one side.

I'm kind of interested what kind of results you can get with yours compared to mine since we have similar cars . You have the advantage of the 1.6L, lighter car, and manual trans, while mine cuts off the injectors well when coasting and has overdrive as well as a different torque curve, max torque is at like 2800rpm vs the 1.6L model at 5600rpm.

I had a 92 corolla (wrecked and scrapped) that I was going to fix before getting this one, the body under the rear seat was rusted though, looks to be the only problem area for rust. Michigan winters eat cars (heavy salt on the roads).
Old 10-24-2012, 05:15 PM   #33 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

00C - '00 Toyota Corolla
I think you're right, they're similar enough and it should be interesting. (And they're definitely both beaters. ) I may disappoint you though, for one if it sits in the driveway and I don't have enough tank data to report... (The thought of 'competition' makes me want to list mechanical excuses, too.)

I've decided to post something on my wheel skirts sometime, but the theme may be what not to do. Also, yesterday a quarter of my air dam shattered on a big dip, once I get it fixed I'll write an update on it.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:22 PM   #34 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Toyota

Team Toyota

You drive in a city environment right? Another thing to compare, I'm in the country, seems my car likes steady speed and long coasts to corners (in gear) .

Good luck on reworking the air dam, make v2.0 a better design and I might copy you .
Old 10-29-2012, 01:43 AM   #35 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

00C - '00 Toyota Corolla
Air dam damage, repair, paint, ducting

I broke my air dam going over a dip, near my office, but not a route I usually take. I remembered the dip halfway down the road, but decided to proceed. Got to work and decided to take a look, surprise, it's broken! (Surprising because it survived a lot of scraping before breaking.)

You can see the fractures focused on the brace location. At the time I put the braces on I was mindful of how rigid they were, but having more flexibility might not save this dam from fracture on a hard strike anyways, since this dam is angled forwards and as it bends it's just going to go under and get itself in a tight spot.

I walked up the road later and picked up the missing piece, covered in mud and leaves in the gutter.

To start my repairs, I marked, then masked off the blinkers and painted the dam black. I painted the rear surface, since this is clear plastic I can do that and achieve chip proof paint. It seemed like a good time to try brush-on enamel. I've been thinking brush-on should have less VOC smog-contribution than spray, might even be a big difference, but not sure.

Then of course I pop-riveted some aluminum sheets over the fractures. Also I put some foam weather strip along the top. The real purpose is to prevent paint transfer to the bumper.

EDIT: then I enclosed the ducting. It could be better, but I think I'm done, give or take some black paint. The sides are attached to the bottom via L brackets and #12 sheet metal screws. I'm glad I chose to attach the ducting to the braces rather than to the dam. Assembly is easier this way. BTW, the aluminum strip braces bolt onto the car at the engine pan locations (sharing the bolts with the engine pan).

Then I used a white paint pen on a staff and marked a uniform height, and cut by jigsaw. Previously the hard plastic ended at 4.75-5" clearance at the front-corners, and about 5.5" in the middle of the bumper. Now the hard plastic has about 6.75" clearance all around.

Then I added lawn edging using sheet metal screws, final clearance at about 4.75". Coroplast would have been a strong choice too (better wind-stiffness, spring-back, cheaper per area, but requires painting and might be stiff enough to push the whole dam around during a ground strike).

I'm going to do a highway camera test to see how well the lawn edging holds up against the wind. I don't remember anyone else reporting on that subject.

At this point I should note that thin aluminum sheet probably would have been a better choice over the PETG for this project, even considering a little added effort to add clear lenses for the blinkers. Using aircraftspruce.com, Al is a little cheaper than PETG, it is actually more paintable (although doesn't have the magic chip resistance of backside paint), I believe Al is probably easier to bend (heat gun was a pain). I did stretch the PETG a little in this project for more forward angle, not actually sure how much, but I doubt it mattered much aerodynamically and it was a pain to do. Anyways the same thing could be achieved by starting with a wider cut and doing a steeper angle on the sides, or since I cut the bottom back anyways the same thing could be achieved without any tradeoff if the correct height were used initially. Al also has a better failure mode, unless you can't stand the look of beat-up un-bent sheet metal. Either material choice requires adequate clearance and a softer bend-away chin, like Coroplast or lawn
edging.

EDIT: I thought about hiding the rivet and screw heads, and fracture lines, but I think I might just leave them. Maybe I should add some more decorative rivets on the other side. Bullet-hole-decals also crossed my mind for the side of the car. That could be taken wrong though, I suppose.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-10-27 crack around attachment.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	11754   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-10-28 painted and patched.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	11755   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-10-28 mostly ducted.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	11756   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-10-28 cut line.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	11757   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-10-28 air dam repaired.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	11758  

Name:	2012-10-27 air dam damage.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	11759  

Last edited by christofoo; 11-02-2012 at 01:55 PM..
Old 10-29-2012, 02:12 AM   #36 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

00C - '00 Toyota Corolla
Name this project.

I forgot to mention, I've been reminded I need to stencil something on the car somewhere. Here are my ideas so far:
  • ECOrolla, EcOrolla or ECOmod-olla (I'm favoring ECOrolla89 right now)
  • ecomodder.com (obviously)
  • 45 MPG (it seems like I ought to finish it and run it a few seasons first though, otherwise it's just a guess)
  • Prius
  • Priusolla or Priusorolla or Prius-C-orolla
  • MPGorolla or OMMPGorolla

I have a coworker who likes to tease me about my MPG enthusiasm. I can't remember how many times he's asked me what my wife thinks about this or that. He reminded me that if I don't write something on it people will assume it's a failed ricer, which I was already thinking hard about because it's my worst fear.

Last edited by christofoo; 11-28-2012 at 05:39 PM..
Old 10-29-2012, 02:17 AM   #37 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

00C - '00 Toyota Corolla
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps2fixer View Post
You drive in a city environment right? Another thing to compare, I'm in the country, seems my car likes steady speed and long coasts to corners (in gear) .

Good luck on reworking the air dam, make v2.0 a better design and I might copy you .
My commute is about 10 miles by the way, ~70% freeway, ~6 stops. That should be a pretty good prognosis for MPG, but warmup eats this car, and winter is coming. (EDIT: I park it outside.)

Last edited by christofoo; 10-29-2012 at 12:54 PM..
Old 10-29-2012, 02:45 PM   #38 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Toyota

Team Toyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by christofoo View Post
My commute is about 10 miles by the way, ~70% freeway, ~6 stops. That should be a pretty good prognosis for MPG, but warmup eats this car, and winter is coming. (EDIT: I park it outside.)
100% agree, cold temps is killing my mileage. A block heater might be a good idea since your trip is so short. I plan to block my lower grill more this year, last year I blocked around 75-80% and never ran any warmer than summer (204F with 192F thermostat).
Old 11-02-2012, 07:46 AM   #39 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Black Knight - '94 Toyota Corolla
Team Toyota
90 day: 58.53 mpg (US)
mmm more corolla's
Old 11-02-2012, 06:26 PM   #40 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

00C - '00 Toyota Corolla
Engine block heater!

I have had an OEM engine block heater sitting on my shelf for years. Last night I installed it!

More info here...

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2012-11-01 21.12.30 success -b.jpg
Views:	1110
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	11774  
The Following User Says Thank You to christofoo For This Useful Post:
a8ksh4 (12-11-2012)
Reply  Post New Thread