Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2009, 01:12 AM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Big Orange Work Truck - '83 Ford F-250
90 day: 27.54 mpg (US)

Jessica's - '04 Toyota Matrix
90 day: 41.21 mpg (US)

Ninjette - '01 Kawasaki Ninja EX250R
1 commute / touring road bike for general things (and towing the massive 10ft trailer for special bicycle events)
2 carbon bike for commuting (because I am always running too late to take the commute bike, and the race bike is just so much faster)
3 mnt bike for volunteer park ranger patrols
4 unicycle for the occasional parade
5 just got a folding bike in a dump run. I have no need for it, but come on, it folds up into a little cube. How cools is that? And it was free (better than free, I was paid to take it away). I bet it'll come in handy someday.

Wait - I thought this was a thread about tar sands?
I say, let 'em drill. Its there, they're gonna sooner or later either way. Let 'em pretend oil is actually gonna last forever, and smile quietly to yourself as you pedal past the gas station in a couple more years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
A few months ago I returned home just as my neighbor pulled into his driveway. It was cold (around freezing) with some rain and sleet, and he yells to me: You rode your bike? In this weather?!?

So the other day we both returned home at the same time again, only now the weather is warm, sunny, with no wind. And I yell to him: You took the car? In this weather?!?
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-17-2009, 01:45 AM   #22 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Appliance White - '93 Geo Metro 4-Dr. Auto
Last 3: 42.35 mpg (US)

Stealth RV - '91 Chevy Sprint Base
Drilling does nothing for tar sands or shale. You have to mine them, cook them, and pollute a LOT of water to get some oil. We can get oil from coal and water, too, but either way, if we can't safely recover and store the carbon dioxide, climate change goes out of control. I live close enough to the tar sands to hear about the dead ducks and the cancer rates downstream.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:55 AM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
zjrog: that's a lot of bikes. I currently have 4 in working condition, most saved from the pound. And a little pile of parts bikes. I suspect when I'm a crazy old man I'll have a ridiculous heap of old bikes and multiple bike shaped projects on the go.
OK, but salvaging bikes, doing projects, or giving them away to kids is a hobby/charity. Not at all the same as going out and buying multiple bikes just to ride.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:33 PM   #24 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
Err... Explain why any reasonable person (e.g. not competing in races) would need more than two. One road bike, one mountain bike: more just seems like conspicuous consumption :-) And I don't even use the road bike that much, since I started telecommuting full-time. Oh, I could go do some touring for exercise & recreation, but the dog gives me such pitiful "why are you leaving me behind again?" looks that I wind up either taking the mountain bike, or decide to hike instead.
Sorry about the lag time... but to answer your question. A road bike for quick light loads, commuting. A mountain bike for off road adventures. A more sturdy road bike or hybrid for pulling a trailer of ....well whatever you need--or even your dog so he doesnt have to stay home again. A tandem so that you and your significant other can ride together with out one of you always having to wait for the other.

Then for those that are more competative.... a road race bike.... a tri/time trial bike, a mountain bike or cross bike for off road races.

My Dad told me to always use the right tool for the job, I apply it to cycling.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:33 PM   #25 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I thought that would work well in everyones health interest too.

Some say prostrate issues are relevant as well, and placing so much weight on THAT spot just aint natural, as well as isolating most muscle groups and exercising only a certain few.

I should take a photo of the dust covers on my filter mask to show the amount of road dirt and particulates that can end up in ones lungs... of course poisonous gases are extra and unseen, sometimes I wish I didnt live in a city

Last edited by blueflame; 06-17-2009 at 08:35 PM.. Reason: correctness
Old 06-17-2009, 08:45 PM   #26 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

There may be some issues, but overall the benefits outweigh the risks.

Riding to work isn't an alternative to a full body workout, its an alternative to driving, which doesn't exercise any muscle groups.
Unless you run to work. (I did that once, but it took 2.5 hours, not gonna work as a regular thing)

And there are easy solutions anyway (better designed saddles, occasional cross training).

Quote:
A few months ago I returned home just as my neighbor pulled into his driveway. It was cold (around freezing) with some rain and sleet, and he yells to me: You rode your bike? In this weather?!?

So the other day we both returned home at the same time again, only now the weather is warm, sunny, with no wind. And I yell to him: You took the car? In this weather?!?
Old 06-18-2009, 10:52 AM   #27 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobAziza View Post
...better designed saddles...
(Sigh) I wish. Haven't found a decent one yet.

More than a bit depressing, because my distance riding isn't limited by my legs getting tired, or aerobic capacity running out, but when my butt starts to hurt.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:23 AM   #28 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
my distance riding isn't limited by my legs getting tired, or aerobic capacity running out, but when my butt starts to hurt.
Have you tried riding a recumbent?
Old 06-18-2009, 11:40 AM   #29 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The vast majority of problems can be alleviated with proper bike fit and adjustments. Even if you have been riding a long time, it might help to go into a bike shop and ask for a fitting. A lot of times what seems ideal really isn't. An upright riding position or to big a bike are the most common problems.

The 2nd mistake is getting something soft and cushy (or gelly, or springy, or with some wacky design) instead of something firm which supports the sit bones.

Some very good information:

Bicycle Saddles

Bicycle Seats Explained | Bike Saddles

Quote:

Old 06-19-2009, 07:07 AM   #30 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Sex and masturbation is good for the prostrate

Had a good read of bikeforums and cycleforums and it appears that prostrate cancer links are tenuous, though health issues could begin or become exacerbated, especially if cycle set up is poor.

I remember a U.S. study a few years back which put afro american men as higher and asian american men as lower represented. Weight lifters and sportsmen were higher as were meat consumers vs vegetarians.

4. Q: Can the sport of bicycle riding increase the likelihood of BPH, prostate cancer or other prostate problems?
A: Prolonged cycling on a hard seat is thought to affect potency by injuring the pudendal arteries that supply blood to the penis. Cycling can also traumatize the prostate, causing an elevation in the PSA level. No evidence, to my knowledge, shows that cycling can increase the risk for benign prostate enlargement or prostate cancer.

5. Q: Is ejaculation good for prostate health?
A: The short answer is “yes.” The prostate has innumerable tiny glands located in its periphery. Their function is to drain prostatic secretions through the tiny prostatic ducts into the urethra. Approximately 90% of the fluid that comes out with ejaculation is prostatic fluid. With long periods of abstinence from ejaculation, the prostate may become filled with secretions. This condition is called congestion of the prostate.

Symptoms associated with prostatic congestion can include voiding difficulties and discomfort in the region of the prostate. In some instances, accumulation and stagnation of prostatic fluid can contribute to the development of infection in the prostate (prostatitis). Regular ejaculation has the effect of keeping the prostate “flushed out” and healthy

Reply  Post New Thread