Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2016, 05:19 PM   #51 (permalink)
Growin a stash

Quote:
Originally Posted by darcane View Post
How am I "cherry-picking". The Bolt and Sonic literally share the same chassis and are the same size car. And the Leaf and Versa are not far off from that.
The EV is going to last much longer whereas the ICE might only be good for 200k miles. Plus, the EV is completely quiet as well as the other benefits james mentioned. How much more is that worth? To me, maybe $8000.

Also, I think the Bolt will be significantly larger than the Sonic. (but I'm too lazy to look up the cubic footage...)

2024 Chevy Bolt

Previous:
2015 Nissan Leaf S, 164 mpge
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-30-2016, 07:05 PM   #52 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,176 Times in 806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
If the power was out, you couldn't pump gas at your local station, either.
But you wouldn't need to for awhile. I only fill my daily driven Subaru once a month, and I always will fill it before a big storm. Plus I have probably another full tank or at least 1/2 tank worth of gas in cans in the garage for the mower and snowblower.
Old 08-31-2016, 08:11 AM   #53 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ME_Andy View Post
The EV is going to last much longer whereas the ICE might only be good for 200k miles.
People hanging on to their cars for 200k aren't the new car market. A car's long projected life is only a factor in the new car market because everyone's concerned about resale value after three years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

Old 08-31-2016, 02:21 PM   #54 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by darcane View Post
I'm sorry, but trying to justify the price of a Leaf by comparing it to a GTR is just asinine.
No, it's a fair comparison price-wise, because they are both, in their different fashions, performance cars. They appeal to people who are willing to spend more than a minimum amount on features that appeal to them. Just as some people are willing to pay more (often much more) for 'luxury' cars from 'prestige' brands, even when these upmarket vehicles are basically re-badged versions built on the same platform.

For an example (the first one that popped up on Google :-)) take the Chevy Equinox vs Cadillac SRC: same platform, virtually indistinguishable to the untrained eye, yet the Cadillac costs about 50% more than the Chevy: 2012 Chevrolet Equinox vs Cadillac SRX - Cars Comparison
You can find plenty of similar examples: Ford vs Lincon, Toyota vs Lexus, Honda vs Accura, Nissan vs Infiniti...
Old 08-31-2016, 05:14 PM   #55 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,378 Times in 3,353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
it's a fair comparison price-wise, because they are both, in their different fashions, performance cars. They appeal to people who are willing to spend more than a minimum amount on features that appeal to them.
... which is what I have been arguing the whole time. Range anxiety is overrated compared to other factors that prevent adoption, especially price.

If the price was right, people would come on down (and buy one).

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 09-01-2016, 11:37 AM   #56 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

They add a bunch of mandatory "options" but even without them the price is inflated on a pure electric. Seems like less complicated then making a hybrid yet they are crazy the extra they charge. It's like they are factoring in state and federal kickbacks and just preemptively taking those for themselves. I would buy an electic even with a short range as a 3rd car but not at those prices. Maybe the Arcimoto, because in addition to more affordable it looks fun.
The range anxiety is real unless it is your 2nd or 3rd car. Most days you are fine but if you have just one car it needs to be capable every day. I have searched my whole life for that best do everything car, good economy, works in Montana winters, holds 6 people occasionally, can do cross county trips, can tow 7500 pounds. I wish they made a simple, bare bones, reliable GL350 or if the US could get the diesel 4runners or landcruisers, then I would go with that and an electric.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hersbird For This Useful Post:
MobilOne (10-10-2016)
Old 09-01-2016, 01:58 PM   #57 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Range anxiety is overrated compared to other factors that prevent adoption, especially price.

If the price was right, people would come on down (and buy one).
I don't think so. I surely wouldn't buy an EV (say a Leaf) that had only a 70 mile range, because many of my trips are more than 70 miles, or so close to it that some unforseen event could have me running out of charge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird
...the price is inflated on a pure electric. Seems like less complicated then making a hybrid yet they are crazy the extra they charge. I
The manufacturers aren't charging extra: if anything, they seem to make less profit on electrics (normal for any new product). That 'extra' they charge is simply the cost of the batteries. Make cheaper batteries, you get cheaper electric cars - or you can put more batteries in to get more range for the same price.
Old 09-01-2016, 03:50 PM   #58 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

They are a good $15k more then the same thing with an ICE. So the ICE powertrain most cost $3-5k so how are batteries and an electric motor $20k?
Old 09-01-2016, 04:29 PM   #59 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Mostly, they cost too much.
A used Think City EV (100 mile city range) is about $4000 on up

I don't think price is a good argument, unless everybody only buys a new car.
Old 09-01-2016, 05:28 PM   #60 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

CT - '11 Lexus CT200h Luxury
Being fairly new to this forum, I am going to make some interesting observations about a lot of the participants.

This thread focuses on range anxiety and posits that it is not an issue, then the thread morphs into a larger spread on why EVs cost more than their conventional brethren. I am seeing a lot of conspiracy theories ranging from kickbacks to profiteering, and this in the face of hard evidence that battery cost is the prime determinant of EV cost.

Ever heard of the saying "If you hear hoofbeats, don't think of zebras"?

Range anxiety is a real concept! I live 100km from the nearest regional center and drive about 20km each day to and from work. I also drive regularly to the state capital which is a round trip of around 800km. I care about the environment and don't like wasting money or resources. I would buy an EV if the price was reasonable and it could perform adequately on most of my driving requirements. I refuse to spend nearly $200K on a tesla that has dubious reliability (Google tesla milling...) or $40K+ on a Leaf that will not even allow me to do my weekly shopping.

Simon

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LittleBlackDuck For This Useful Post:
Fat Charlie (09-02-2016), redpoint5 (09-02-2016), Xist (09-02-2016)
Reply  Post New Thread