Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2008, 07:07 PM   #91 (permalink)
Red
Master EcoModder

Been a while since I last posted some updates. Took a week off after finals and have been enjoying the fine taste of not doing anything.

Anyways, I was finally able to go down to the DMV to get started on my registration. It turns out that since the car is a 2000 I need a formal Bill of Sale via a standard form from the DMV instead of just a printout from the yard. So I have to go back to San Jose and get them to fill that out. Good thing was that I got a temporary permit issued to me so I can legally drive it around! w00t! So now that I can drive it got the following done

Tires finally installed. Its amazing how much of a power loss there was using a 175 instead of the stock 165s. Its got much more pep now. Its no 4.0 but it can move itself fairly well on a level ground. Which brings me to my next problem......

The 2nd gear syncro is shot. 1st->2nd shifts are fine, just down shifting from 3rd->2nd grinds. Which is kinda odd since normally it should grind up or down. On top of that, the clutch is gone, I cannot drive uphill anything steep. Say a 2% grade tops will more or less stop me.

Auto stop seemed cranky, but I think that was more due to my 12volt battery being half dead than anything else.

When it was on the lift getting the tires installed found out that both my back shocks are blown out as well. Front passenger side strut is a total write off, the drivers side setup seems to have a bit of life left.

The best way to make the seats look like new is to pull the covers off and stick them in a washing machine. Downside is it takes forever to pull them off. Should have a small write up about that later on.

Now I've got a small dilemma. A junkyard tranny is going to set me back around $800, clutch set $300. Front struts $90 per, rears $130 per, grand total of $1540 buckaroos.

Unfortunately or fortunately, haven't decided yet, I have finished my 3 yrs needed at a JC and will be transferring to UCLA in the fall> Hopefully I'll be able to meet some of you SoCal'ers. But because of my transfer I am going to be seeing a ton of new expenses inside of 3 months.

Now if I run the Jeep down south, I'm out about $3k in gas or so assuming I drive the same amount of miles per year. The Insight would only cost me about $980 bucks for the same number of miles. If I fix the Insight right now, I'm out the same amount of cash, so its a bit of a wash. On top of that I doubt I'll have the facilities to tear down the Honda is something major breaks over there.

So dunno what I want to do at this point. Fix it up and take it with me, or patch her up and let it sit

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-02-2008, 07:36 PM   #92 (permalink)
CRX HF Vtec-e

CRvX HF - '90 Honda CRX HF
I don't know jack about the mechanicals of the insight, but other honda folks have had luck eliminating grinds by switching tranny fluid to something with a friction additive like gm mtf.

If it were me, i'd just replace the clutch and get good at double clutching in a hurry.
Old 06-02-2008, 07:43 PM   #93 (permalink)
Red
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalsuperhero View Post
I don't know jack about the mechanicals of the insight, but other honda folks have had luck eliminating grinds by switching tranny fluid to something with a friction additive like gm mtf.

If it were me, i'd just replace the clutch and get good at double clutching in a hurry.
Mechanically there isn't anything special than what you'd find in a Civic. Same basic guts, just lighter weight materials used.

Yeah figure its worth a shot at this point. Double clutching is a handy skill anyhoo
Old 06-02-2008, 08:32 PM   #94 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,960 Times in 3,604 Posts
That's a bummer on the price of parts. Would you risk used struts if you could find any that hadn't already leaked?
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 06-02-2008, 08:50 PM   #95 (permalink)
Red
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
That's a bummer on the price of parts. Would you risk used struts if you could find any that hadn't already leaked?
If the price was right, I'd give em a shot. Local yards want $75 bucks each for the fronts and they don't have anything for the rears.

I miss solid axle suspension tech....
Old 06-02-2008, 11:13 PM   #96 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

DMC - '99 Honda Civic DX
sucks. But I'd take the insight. The gas will only go up. Near ucla you're going to do a lot of idling in traffic and southern cali in general so it's best to take the most economical car.
Old 06-03-2008, 12:07 AM   #97 (permalink)
Red
Master EcoModder

Da.......Seems like I'll be gutting her this weekend if I can get parts quick. For the Honda gurus any particular brands to get/avoid? I know for Jeeps LuKs are the way to go, whats good for a Honda? Got the following available

Honda INSIGHT
Luk Clutch Kit
Part No: 08-043
3 Cylinder
Year:2000-05
Displacement: 1.0L
Disc Size
Outside Diameter: 7 1/2"
Spline: 7/8
Teeth: 20

$318.15

Honda INSIGHT
Exedy/Daikin Clutch Kit
Part No: KHC11
ECA1
L3
Year:2000-04
Displacement: 1.0L, 61cc
Disc Size
Outside Diameter:
Spline:
Teeth: 0
$231.21

Honda INSIGHT
Valeo Clutch Kit
Part No: 51902406
Hybrid
Year:2000-04
Displacement: 1.0L
Disc Size
Outside Diameter: 7 1/2
Spline: 7/8
Teeth: 20
$201.71

I think Exedy/Daikin is the OEM for Honda right?
Old 06-03-2008, 07:02 PM   #98 (permalink)
Red
Master EcoModder

Zo.......seems like Exedy is the OEM supplier for Honda. Considering that the stock clutch went 233k before dying, I'd say that'd be a safe bet
Old 06-03-2008, 09:26 PM   #99 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

DMC - '99 Honda Civic DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
Zo.......seems like Exedy is the OEM supplier for Honda. Considering that the stock clutch went 233k before dying, I'd say that'd be a safe bet
What significantly kills clutch life?? My clutch went out at 100k and I was wondering how long does the average clutch last..
Old 06-03-2008, 10:47 PM   #100 (permalink)
Red
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compaq888 View Post
What significantly kills clutch life?? My clutch went out at 100k and I was wondering how long does the average clutch last..
User usage more than anything else. Stuff like excessively slipping the clutch, launching, having your foot rest against the pedal, contamination, using the clutch to hold you on a hill, lots of stop and go city driving, shifting badly. Stuff like that

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
honda insight, modifying, rebuilding