Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2015, 11:16 PM   #21 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
I am 6'2" and on the other side of two hundred pounds. I have my Army PT test in less than ten hours, and at least for the morning, I would love to weigh 166 pounds!

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-12-2015, 03:41 AM   #22 (permalink)
Eco-ventor

Princess - '92 Mazda MX-3 GS
House of Tudor
Team Mazda
90 day: 53.54 mpg (US)

Shirubāarō (*´ω`*) - '05 Toyota Prius Executive
Team Toyota
90 day: 54.88 mpg (US)

Blue Thunder - '20 Hyundai IONIQ Trend PHEV
Team Hyundai
Plug-in Hybrids
90 day: 587.16 mpg (US)
Send a message via MSN to jakobnev
Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
There is no question that a high cholesterol diet will kill me, as it did both my uncles. My blood tests show it all in the numbers. I keep as much meat out of my diet as is practical. But that's me, and people like me. The body consuming the food is a variable in the food's effect.
They actually dropped the recommendation to avoid cholesterol in the diet:
The U.S. government is poised to withdraw longstanding warnings about cholesterol - The Washington Post

It's not the meat killing you, and it was not the meat that killed your uncles.

2016: 128.75L for 1875.00km => 6.87L/100km (34.3MPG US)
2017: 209.14L for 4244.00km => 4.93L/100km (47.7MPG US)
Old 04-13-2015, 01:02 AM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Volt, gas only - '12 Chevrolet Volt Premium
90 day: 38.02 mpg (US)

Volt, electric only - '12 Chevrolet Volt Premium
90 day: 132.26 mpg (US)

Yukon Denali Hybrid - '12 GMC Yukon Denali Hybrid
90 day: 21.48 mpg (US)
Geesh, all you folks trying to gain weight. I'm 255 currently and 5'11". I have been over 200lbs since my freshman year in highschool. The least I have weighed in the last decade is 230 and that is when I starved myself, literally, starved myself to lose weight. I can lose inches without too much trouble, but I just start gaining muscle and the weight stays right there. Really sucks for having bad ankles.

Old 04-13-2015, 01:42 AM   #24 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakobnev View Post
...It's not the meat killing you, and it was not the meat that killed your uncles.
Sure, it's an interesting debate. But you might read that article more carefully. The revision is for otherwise healthy people. Their point is not that cholesterol can't be dangerous, but rather that it's not dangerous to everyone. That's not news. We already knew that. As I said before, the eater is a variable. There are people who should not eat such a diet. For them, it would be unwise to blindly chase any such fad: "The new view on cholesterol in food does not reverse warnings about high levels of “bad” cholesterol in the blood, which have been linked to heart disease. Moreover, some experts warned that people with particular health problems, such as diabetes, should continue to avoid cholesterol-rich diets."
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 04-13-2015, 03:22 AM   #25 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Crown Vic - '99 Ford Crown Victoria Base (P74)
90 day: 24.1 mpg (US)

Turtle - '98 Subaru Outback Sport
90 day: 30.53 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksa8907 View Post
Geesh, all you folks trying to gain weight. I'm 255 currently and 5'11". I have been over 200lbs since my freshman year in highschool. The least I have weighed in the last decade is 230 and that is when I starved myself, literally, starved myself to lose weight. I can lose inches without too much trouble, but I just start gaining muscle and the weight stays right there. Really sucks for having bad ankles.

I'm right there with you. except I'm stumpy. I'm 5'8" tall and in the past have weighed in excess of 225 lbs...more than once. The first time I was that heavy I was in my late teens, early 20's and pretty solid; 50" chest with a 32" waist, 18" arms, a 20" neck and 27" quads. I ate around 5,000 calories per day and lifted weights nearly every day.

The second time I weighed that much was around 6 years later when I had a newborn daughter and no time to exercise. I refer to this time in my life as the "triangle man" period. /\

These days I'm slowly losing fat but currently hovering at 190 lbs bodyweight. I lift 4-5 days per week and bike a few miles, every chance I get. I try to eat foods in their natural state (I've grown to despise the term "Paleo Diet") in a restricted carb macro spread (for 6 days out of the week and 1 day of up to 200 grams of carbs) at around 1,500 calories per day.

My metabolism =

I could gain weight on a bet. At least I know I won't be the first one to starve to death, should the world go to poop. lol
'05 Outback 3.0R (wife's)

Last edited by The_Jed; 04-13-2015 at 04:16 AM..
Old 04-13-2015, 03:58 AM   #26 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I'm all for the Paleo diet.

After all, our caveman ancestors subsisted on nothing but meat and the occasional plant matter, and sometimes lived to the ripe old age of thirty five.
Old 04-13-2015, 08:34 AM   #27 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Matchbox - '93 Ford Festiva L
Team Ford
Last 3: 70.16 mpg (US)

Salamander - '99 Chrysler Concorde LXI
Team Dodge
90 day: 30.3 mpg (US)

Urquhart - '97 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 V6 3.4L DLX
Pickups
90 day: 25.81 mpg (US)

Smudge - '98 Toyota Tacoma
90 day: 40.65 mpg (US)

Calebro - '15 Renault Trafic 1.25 dci
90 day: 39.39 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by niky View Post
I'm all for the Paleo diet.

After all, our caveman ancestors subsisted on nothing but meat and the occasional plant matter, and sometimes lived to the ripe old age of thirty five.
Diet was clearly the reason for that right?

Here's another very good interview from someone into extreme fitness that's on Zero Carb.

https://eatmeatdrinkwater.wordpress....-ana-teixeira/
Old 04-13-2015, 04:01 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
My wife always says I need to eat more veggies. I then ask her why, and she says because they contain vitamins. I then reply that I take vitamin supplements (which also have not really been shown to aid in health for most people). She basically has no good reason why I should eat veggies. I point out that the cost per calorie is astronomical compared to other foods. How many k calories in a $2 bundle of asparagus; 100 perhaps? I can get a Hungry Man dinner for the same price and it has corn, potatoes, butter, pork ribs and bbq sauce with 850 calories.
Next time she wants you to eat some kale, show her this:
Study: Vegetarians Less Healthy, Lower Quality Of Life Than Meat-Eaters « CBS Atlanta

My personal experience is that when I cut out high carb foods, I started feeling a lot better and the pounds (80 of them) melted away.

However, I've found it very hard to stick to a low-carb diet once I met my wife and have kids. Neither my wife nor my kids tolerate it for themselves, and making meals takes enough time without being a short-order cook. Consequently, I've gained much of the weight back and feel run-down and tired all the time. I suppose part of that could be getting woken up 2-3 times a night dealing with nightmares, wet beds, etc...

I have been trying to cut back on the carbs, and even what little I am cutting out has seemed to help.

I do actually eat lots of veggies when I cut out the high carb foods, but I'm trying to get filled up while losing weight rather than try to gain weight. At 6' 2", 195lbs is my goal weight too. I'm just overshooting it by about 60 now...

2001 Civic HX Mods

CTS-V

2003 Silverado Mods
The Following User Says Thank You to darcane For This Useful Post:
mikeyjd (04-13-2015)
Old 04-14-2015, 12:30 AM   #29 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
I started a gluten- and dairy-free diet a few weeks ago and lost fifteen pounds, but I think much of that is I just lose interest in food now. I failed my PT test yesterday, although strangely, the Sergeant put down an incorrectly passing time, so I am not in trouble. I went off my diet the day before, carbo-loading may not work, but I did not want to attempt to run two miles as fast as I could with just quinoa in my system.

The diet claimed that you would be happier, more energetic, etc. I did not notice any of that, so I guess I ate adequately beforehand. I do plan on maintaining it for a while, mashed cauliflower was surprisingly good.
Old 04-15-2015, 05:13 AM   #30 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyjd View Post
Diet was clearly the reason for that right?

Here's another very good interview from someone into extreme fitness that's on Zero Carb.

https://eatmeatdrinkwater.wordpress....-ana-teixeira/
Considering the Sabretooth Tiger is extinct and we are not... maybe!

-

I'm pretty sure you can live to be a decent age... like Aboriginies do... if you don't eat much in the way of carbs, get lots of exercise and live in an environment devoid of tropical diseases.

Carbs are pretty much a dirty word for diabetics, though we still need the sugars in them.

As for dairy and other allergies... it's interesting to note that the ability to actually consume dairy products in adulthood is a very recent mutation to the human genome, and is partly responsible for its own propagation, by giving populations with this mutation a leg up on their competitors. While yes, many people are still allergic to it, milk still does a body good, otherwise.

Reply  Post New Thread